Homebrew VC / WiiWare games are not loading from SD card, HELP!!

shadyshadyj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!, so I am new to the forum and I have had no help on Reddit about this problem. When I install wad files of WiiWare and VC games, they work perfectly if booted from main menu - BUT when installed on SD cards - only some work. When trying to boot up from SD cards, Mario Party 2, F Zero 64, & Blaster Master Rebirth all work and will play - but Majoras Mask 64, Mario 64, & the majority of other games will "faill to launch." If you could PLEASE let me know what other information to provide to help solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it!!! I am new to softmodding my Wii and I've gotten everything to work smoothly up to this point. I couldn't have gotten here without this forum, so please help me with this last issue, I am very desperate to get this going. THANK YOU ALL!!!!

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If I remember correctly, you need a trucha-patched menu IOS in order to boot VC games off the SD card. What system version are you on?

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
First of all, you have enough space in your Wii's memory, right? Even if the games are on the SD, they are still copied temporarily to the Wii, so you need to have space.

If that's not the problem , then you would need a patched ios80. Are you familiar with the program called ModMii?

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
also be aware that if you have already installed priiloader you will get the 'system files corrupted' (brick) message, and need to re-enter HBC via priiloader and re-install to move the 'patched' sysmenu IOS.
If this is the case its no biggie - but I would first make sure your HBC is accessable via your existing priiloder installed before you patch / install patched IOS80 (due to number of HBC ID changes - LULZ, JODI etc and older versions of priiloader being incompatable)

If you dont use priiloader then crack on regardless :)

Last edited by fatherjack, , Reason: more

shadyshadyj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you have enough space in your Wii's memory, right? Even if the games are on the SD, they are still copied temporarily to the Wii, so you need to have space.

If that's not the problem , then you would need a patched ios80. Are you familiar with the program called ModMii?

My Wii should have the space, because even when I have 300-400 blocks free, some games load and some wont.

During my research I have come across modmii, but i dont know anything about it, is there any way you can guide me through this? I will do anything to repay you!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also be aware that if you have already installed priiloader you will get the 'system files corrupted' (brick) message, and need to re-enter HBC via priiloader and re-install to move the 'patched' sysmenu IOS.
If this is the case its no biggie - but I would first make sure your HBC is accessable via your existing priiloder installed before you patch / install patched IOS80 (due to number of HBC ID changes - LULZ, JODI etc and older versions of priiloader being incompatable)

I don't think I have priiloader installed, I have gotten the corrupted message before but when I hard reset my console everything is fine. I am not sure what preloader is

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its important to know if you're gonna do this, so restart your wii and keep the reset button (just below power button on front of console) pressed in - if you have priiloader you will get a menu appear.
If it is installed, make sure you are on 4.3, and run the check I mentioned in the post above,

If you dont, you can fire up wad manager and install ths:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=56738559423739412007

Last edited by fatherjack,

shadyshadyj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its important to know if you're gonna do this, so restart your wii and keep the reset button (just below power button on front of console) pressed in - if you have priiloader you will get a menu appear.
If it is installed, make sure you are on 4.3, and run the check I mentioned in the post above,

If you dont, you can fire up wad manager and install ths:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=56738559423739412007

Okay, so I held down the reset button and a menu DOES NOT appear, so I don't have priiloader I assume. But let me update you with some more info about my console

- It is 4.3u
- The only wad manager I use is Pimp My Wii v2.30
- Pimp My Wii has installed all my channel loaders and VC/WiiWare games correctly, except some titles when moved to SD card will fail to launch, some will
- The pimp my wii wad manger stats
- Using ios 254 (stub)
- IOS currently used 58
- You currently have the trucha bug and the es downgrade bug, you can install signed titles and downgrade an ios

Also
- How do I know how much space Do i have in my Wii memory? I have 1134 block available so is that how much I have?

I misunderstand when you say "run the check in pose above" - I'm a little slow to all this info, so please bare with me! I greatly appreciate all this help, if there's anything more u can recommend or info u need, let me know. Thank u so damn much

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  • okay - no menu then no priiloader installed.
  • 4.3 will need IOS80 patched as we thought
  • sorry - I have never used pimp my wii
  • now....

"- Using ios 254 (stub)" - this is a little disturbing. IOS254 is slot used for bootmii as ios on newer wiis (like yours) with a non vulnerable boot2. bootmii is homebrew program which offers a degree of brick protection / recovery, so be aware that no bootmii or priiloader means no recovery if you brick doing things to nand- ie installing wads etc.
google for 'hackmii installer' should you wish to install bootmii back into slot 254.
The wad manager itself should be using a patched IOS (ie 236,249) and not a stub - stubs are dead-ends introduced by nintendo in system menu updates to combat wii hacking - ie they are of no use.

"IOS currently used 58" is almost certainly for the base app (Pimp my Wii) and is ok

How much space? - navigate through the wii settings, blocks remaining on both savedata and channels tabs should be the same figure (dont select'SD' tab)

The 'check' I meant was to try and access homebrew channel from priiloader IF priiloader had been installed - so dont worry on it :)

hope this helps and good luck

shadyshadyj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • okay - no menu then no priiloader installed.
  • 4.3 will need IOS80 patched as we thought
  • sorry - I have never used pimp my wii
  • now....
"- Using ios 254 (stub)" - this is a little disturbing. IOS254 is slot used for bootmii as ios on newer wiis (like yours) with a non vulnerable boot2. bootmii is homebrew program which offers a degree of brick protection / recovery, so be aware that no bootmii or priiloader means no recovery if you brick doing things to nand- ie installing wads etc.
google for 'hackmii installer' should you wish to install bootmii back into slot 254.
The wad manager itself should be using a patched IOS (ie 236,249) and not a stub - stubs are dead-ends introduced by nintendo in system menu updates to combat wii hacking - ie they are of no use.

"IOS currently used 58" is almost certainly for the base app (Pimp my Wii) and is ok

How much space? - navigate through the wii settings, blocks remaining on both savedata and channels tabs should be the same figure (dont select'SD' tab)

The 'check' I meant was to try and access homebrew channel from priiloader IF priiloader had been installed - so dont worry on it :)

hope this helps and good luck

so could I load up Pimp My Wii and install the IOS80 wad you provided with the 254 stub and IOS58?

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah - if the wad installer tool within pimp my wii is installing wads fine (using ios254?) then all should be good.
either way, if its not, it should simply throw you an error message and install nothing.
let me know how you get on :)

Last edited by fatherjack,

shadyshadyj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah - if the wad installer tool within pimp my wii is installing wads fine (using ios254?) then all should be good.
either way, if its not, it should simply throw you an error message and install nothing.
let me know how you get on :)

IT FUCKING WORKED!!! just installing the ios80 wad launched everything that was on the SD, how can I repay you?!?!? Thank you so sososoo much to you and @justjack for making this happen!!! ahhh im in tears!!!! Now I just need to find some turbo grafx16 wads, if u know where to find any for us consoles, let me know!!!1 THANK YOUUUU

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IT FUCKING WORKED!!! just installing the ios80 wad launched everything that was on the SD, how can I repay you?!?!? Thank you so sososoo much to you and @justjack for making this happen!!! ahhh im in tears!!!! Now I just need to find some turbo grafx16 wads, if u know where to find any for us consoles, let me know!!!1 THANK YOUUUU

They're on the Wii Shop. :/

ButterMaster101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so from reading all of the above I am a little confused about the topic so if anyone could guide me through the process of how to get wads to work on my SD card that would be great, I know it was most likely answered above but personally for me I still struggle to understand it all, I currently have priiloader on my wii so I have no clue if that effects anything or not but again, if anyone could help me figure out how to play wads through my SD card that would be great.

GrayFoxNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind, found another way to do it, wads work through my SD card now.

you say (if anyone could guide me through the process that would be great) so then you found another way how to do it, but you don't help or guide people that might be going through the same headache?.... i am also so confused by the things previously explained here, i also have priiloader and i'm very afraid of bricking my wii, can anyone else that has figured out another way to do it please explain it to me? it would be very much appreciated. thanks

Reactions: biggzsizzle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol