Gaming VC games

gixxaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So tonight, i decided it would be a good idea to buy some. So i downloaded Zelda, Bomberman 93, Donkey Kong / JR, Mario Brothers.
I am very pleased so far with the way the system works with the games. Hooray for being able to play all but 2 Console Zeldas on my Wii!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I so far only have F-Zero. I'd like to buy Donkey Kong Country and Sonic but the VC is pretty pricey...

I love the idea of filling up channels with VC games though, makes it seem like there's more to do on my Wii
tongue.gif

Pity the classic controller is really uncomfortable, who on gods green earth designed the back of it?

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just bought gunstar heroes, and it's f***ing 50 Hz, so I don't think I'll buy anything else.

HAHAHAHA that is some joke! Thanks for the heads up. No way would I waste anything on some slow 50hz letterbox crap. I bought a JAP Super Famicon and USA N64 for that reason. Will stick to my V64 and Super Wildcard until they release 60hz versions.

Just want to double check with you Choupette - Had you set the screen mode to 60hz in the main Wii Settings menu and the PAL VC games are STILL 50hz?!?

Everyone should boycot them until they fix this...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I even installed a modchip on my french Snes to switch from 50/60hz whenever I needed to.
50hz has 17% slowdown, and blackborder up and down, like a forcing 16/9 (image is shrink, or stretch), but it's not even a real 16/9.
it's not even 480 lines on a 576 tv display, otherwise the image wouldn't be deformed.
(correct me if I'm wrong)

I would like also more information about VC games at 50Hz
I will wait for your help.

Edit for Digeman >
NTSC Games are in 60Hz, full speed full screen in japan and USA
PAL Games were, and are still for some game, released in 50Hz, 17%slower than NTSC version, and with black border top and bottom of TV.

I can't stand playing PAL release when they are not optimized for PAL territory.
I turn to play USA import for almost 10-15 years now, and english is a lot better than crappy french translations

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus, Sonic is sooooo sloooooowwwww at 50hz. Like even the music is in slow motion. I played sonic on the gamegear mostly and later emulated on a DC so I'm used to the music going at full speed. My girlfriend says it's exactly how she remembers it though.

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
Folks, have a read here, some great info on the VC games PAL 50hz issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console_(Wii)

Not good news I'm afraid. To quote:

"This means that (with the exception of Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country, and TurboGrafx-16 games) all games run at roughly 17% slower than their designed operation speed and have borders covering about 10% of the screen.[15] The issue is particularly noticeable in games that have a particular reliance on speed, such as Sonic The Hedgehog (which as a result, still suffers from issues from its original PAL Megadrive version) and F-Zero. Setting the Wii console to 60Hz mode does not resolve the issue, and Nintendo has made no announcement regarding this issue on PAL Wiis."

mad.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A nice quote from wikipedia

QUOTE said:
[...]Nintendo of Europe may think the expense of converting PAL Virtual Console games to 60Hz would not result in greater returns, as the general public in PAL territories is not largely aware of the fact they are playing inferior versions

that's true, until choupette said it, nobody complained.
Look, Digeman from sweden don't know the differences, I think there are many other who don't even know they can have better version.

Rocco, thank you for the link.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I notice that it says on the Wii Shop channel that the wii points are non returnable and non refundable.

Just got Bonks advanture, plays much better and in 60hz.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I just bought Donkey Kong Country and Sonic The Hedgehog.

After playing a bit of Sonic you get used to it being 50hz, I mean that's the only way we knew the game here in PAL land. So I don't really mind.

I wish Super Mario Bros. would come out here though, I have 600 Wii points left I intended on using to buy it Christmas day but it hasn't come out...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb