Homebrew RELEASE VBA-next for Switch(works 4.1)

usch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey i compiled a version of VBA-next where the A and B buttons are swapped for Y and B.
For me it feels much more comfortable.

It would be nice if this could be configured in the settings.

You can get it from the attachment.

Attachments

• vba-next-switch.nro.zip
    991.8 KB · Views: 134

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey i compiled a version of VBA-next where the A and B buttons are swapped for Y and B.
For me it feels much more comfortable.

It would be nice if this could be configured in the settings.

You can get it from the attachment.

Nice, Y + B master race :). Much more comfortable on the thumb

catlover007

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have seen some reaction as to convert gb and gbc games using Goomba but is there a specific reason why this port does not support GB and GBC games?
I actually tried renaming a gb game to gba and it showed but sadly it did not run.
Is that something that is coming later on?
the GB and the GBA are two completely different consoles. The reason why a GBA can play Game Boys games is because it basically contains both the GBA and the GB internals hooked up to the same screen and buttons. When you power the GBA on, the hardware corronsponding to the inserted game module is activated. But they are completely independent. E.g. a Game Boy Micro contains only the GBA hardware and therefore plays only the GBA games.

VBA-M(the emulator this project is based on) only supports the GBA hardware which makes perfect sense considering that the GB part of the hardware is already covered by other emulators. That's why there is no support for GB games in this emulator and this will probably stay the same in the future.

Reactions: Ty_ and PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
the GB and the GBA are two completely different consoles. The reason why a GBA can play Game Boys games is because it basically contains both the GBA and the GB internals hooked up to the same screen and buttons. When you power the GBA on, the hardware corronsponding to the inserted game module is activated. But they are completely independent. E.g. a Game Boy Micro contains only the GBA hardware and therefore plays only the GBA games.

VBA-M(the emulator this project is based on) only supports the GBA hardware which makes perfect sense considering that the GB part of the hardware is already covered by other emulators. That's why there is no support for GB games in this emulator and this will probably stay the same in the future.

Console wise I get it, but I was mainly wondering if VBA was backward compatible for a lack of a better term like the original VisualBoy Advance was.
Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense to some extends indeed to have a dedicated standalone emulator.

I do hope though that more emulators follow your steps when it comes to how you approached the UI. It is wonderful.
Only cosmetic thing that is on a wish list of sorts in my book is a preview image like pfba does or how vbagx did it. But that is bound to happen sometime later down the road.

Anyway keep up the more then wonderful work :D

catlover007

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Console wise I get it, but I was mainly wondering if VBA was backward compatible for a lack of a better term like the original VisualBoy Advance was.
Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense to some extends indeed to have a dedicated standalone emulator.
Oh yes, the VBA I have on my computer is actually supports GB games. I just checked the source code of VBA-M and I actually found the files responsible for GB support. VBA has quite a moving history with dozens of continuations and what not. This port is based of the libretro version which is quite stripped down to only support GBA games, so it's certanily possible to integrate the GB emulation, but probably not worth the effort, which could be better spend, integrating something like netplay from another version of the emulator.

I do hope though that more emulators follow your steps when it comes to how you approached the UI. It is wonderful.
Only cosmetic thing that is on a wish list of sorts in my book is a preview image like pfba does or how vbagx did it. But that is bound to happen sometime later down the road.
Thank @0x9e for that. Without him/her(I actually don't know:lol:) the emulator would probably still look like it did originally(black background, monochrome ASCII block font).

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh yes, the VBA I have on my computer is actually supports GB games. I just checked the source code of VBA-M and I actually found the files responsible for GB support. VBA has quite a moving history with dozens of continuations and what not. This port is based of the libretro version which is quite stripped down to only support GBA games, so it's certanily possible to integrate the GB emulation, but probably not worth the effort, which could be better spend, integrating something like netplay from another version of the emulator.
Seeing as I have no clue in the how and what, I'll take your word for it ;)
But a lot of people do share that desktop VBA experience, so it might be wise to note the GBA aspect in metafile once we get info besides author and version in there.
It will save you answering this a zillion times ;)

Thank @0x9e for that. Without him/her(I actually don't know:lol:) the emulator would probably still look like it did originally(black background, monochrome ASCII block font).
Well thanks @0x9e for sure :) looking very native like which just gives it that more of a great feel.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Could an alternative way of going straight to a selected game be implemented? Maybe if a .txt with the directory of the rom available next to the nro or something like that. That way we could edit the .nro with the games cover and jump straight to that game from the hbmenu.

Last edited by JJTapia19,
Reactions: Majortaylor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol