VBA IS SOOO SLOW.....

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by smoothbwlr, Jun 26, 2008.

1. smoothbwlr
    OP

smoothbwlr Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2008
    United States
    i was using no$gba and went to visual boy advance so that i could use cheat codes. But the dang thing runs soo slow. Why and is there anything I can do about it?

2. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Change the render to something like OpenGL--it'll make the box more like a Windows '98 than XP (on an XP, at least), so you know you got the right one. It seems to go faster under that, but sometimes the screen goes completely black for me, and I end up closing/opening a ROM or something like that until it works.

Other than that, make sure you're at the lowest resolution available, no special filters and the like. Worst comes to worst, turn off the sound. You can try missing with the framerate as well...

3. thedicemaster

thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Apr 26, 2008
    Netherlands
    did you set throttle to 50% or something?

even on older computers VBA should usually be capable of(when limit is turned off) going at 200%

4. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Try using VBA 1.7.2 with the DirectDraw video rendering mode.

5. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    The latest VBA and VBA-M run terribly slowly. However, 1.7.2 is fast enough. I use the re-recording one that TASers (don't ask if you don't get it) use.

6. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    turning off sound, speeds the video emulation up, reguardless of the system your on.