Varying File Sizes

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CheatingSoi, Mar 20, 2008.

Mar 20, 2008

Varying File Sizes by CheatingSoi at 3:39 AM (613 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    What is the best format to run my 2GB mirco sd on for my R4. I see that lots of my files take up way more space than they actually are. One of my files takes up 6 MB on my card but its actually less than 1. Most of my other files are not that big of differnece but nevertheless, is there somthing I can do about this?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Either you're talking about a folder, not a file, or your memory card is corrupted. The largest allocation units that can be used on a microSD card are 64KB. That means that no file can waste more than 64KB of unused disk space.

You'll get the best performance in terms of speed by formatting the card as FAT with 64KB allocation units. You'll get the best performance in terms of disk space by formatting as FAT32 with the smallest possible allocation units.

You can only set the allocation unit size if you format from the Disk Management or Computer Management programs. You can run Disk Management by running "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) from the start menu.

Edit: I keep my 2GB microSD card formatted as FAT with 64KB allocation units. That wastes an average of 32KB per file. If I had 1000 files on the card, they would waste about 32MB of space, out of the card's nearly 1900MB total capacity.

3. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    oh ok, thanks.