Hacking Various DSTT questions (skins, homebrews and all that jazz)

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey y'all, I'm new here but I've gotten some skins here before (all very nice IMO) and I be loving my DSTT, it's sweetish
yaynds.gif
. However, I do have some various questions about it right now. If you have answers to anything, PLEASE post them, It'd be much appreciated
biggrin.gif

1. All of the IM applications don't work for me. DS AIM says it needs a IP. beUP can't find signals. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Was the DS Opera Browser ever released as a ROM (or something similar)? I have the RAM pack to use with it. I've never found a release of it. Is there only homebrew available? (Note: I'm not asking for the ROM, I'm just wondering if it exists)

3. How do you make/edit symbols for the TTMenu? I can do the background .bmps, but I've never been able to figure out how to edit the symbols. Like the scrollbar and buttons. Also, is it possible to make symbols somewhat transparent (like with a PSP)?

4. What program do you need to upload skins on NDSThemesdotcom? It says I need Java and provides download links, but all the links given fail at start-up.

P.S. I can make DSTT skins if you don't mind the symbols being from another skin (I know one with good symbols, don't worry.) PM me if interested!

Nakura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st question is easy, just go into your TTMenu folder, into skins, into default.

Then you see all those files? Copy them all into a new folder, and just edit them how you wish to make your own (They have to be that size to work).

4th question is also easy, on the home page of gbatemp.net, click downloads. For SNES you'll want SNEmulDSa 0.6. You're probably not aware since you mentioned NeoGeo and Genesis and not SNES, but the SNES doesn't run all that great all the time either.

For Genesis you'll want Jenesis 0.7 (Unless there is a new version)

For NES you'll want nesDS (Not sure which version is out)

For Gameboy/Color you'll want Lameboy 0.11

Not sure for NeoGeo though.

Hope this helped.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
nesDS has not been updated since loopy "attempted" to fix the touch screen: http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/nesDS/
i wrote an intensive compatibility list: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=819...=0#entry1078640

check the NEOGEO threads for more info:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=85433
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=86375

as for doom and quake the G&M card only as 4MB of ram from what i remember. you can not flash anything larger than that to the card and make use of it. doom and quake both require the graphics files to make them work. the doom1 wads are 10+ megs and the quakeI pak files are 50 megs. i have never been able to get ds aim to work correctly so it is most probably an issue with the app in that case and not the G&M your using.

as for the dstt and dsdoom read the post i wrote (like 5 down) for the r4 which should help you:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=80335&hl=

-another world

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I can't comment on the other non-working homebrews, but ds-doom has always been a severe PITA whatever cart you run it on.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I sound in a pissy mood, so far today has been a bad day.

Nakura said:
1st question is easy, just go into your TTMenu folder, into skins, into default.

Then you see all those files? Copy them all into a new folder, and just edit them how you wish to make your own (They have to be that size to work).

4th question is also easy, on the home page of gbatemp.net, click downloads. For SNES you'll want SNEmulDSa 0.6. You're probably not aware since you mentioned NeoGeo and Genesis and not SNES, but the SNES doesn't run all that great all the time either.

For Genesis you'll want Jenesis 0.7 (Unless there is a new version)

For NES you'll want nesDS (Not sure which version is out)

For Gameboy/Color you'll want Lameboy 0.11

Not sure for NeoGeo though.

Hope this helped.
Well, like I mentioned earlier, I ain't that great on the computer. I would need more help than that. I have no idea how to edit them. I've found the emus here before, but didn't know which was the best to use. After I download them, do I just copy it in the SD? Then get the proper game?

QUOTE(Another World @ May 14 2008, 01:37 PM) nesDS has not been updated since loopy "attempted" to fix the touch screen: http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/nesDS/
i wrote an intensive compatibility list: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=819...=0#entry1078640

check the NEOGEO threads for more info:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=85433
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=86375

as for doom and quake the G&M card only as 4MB of ram from what i remember. you can not flash anything larger than that to the card and make use of it. doom and quake both require the graphics files to make them work. the doom1 wads are 10+ megs and the quakeI pak files are 50 megs. i have never been able to get ds aim to work correctly so it is most probably an issue with the app in that case and not the G&M your using.

as for the dstt and dsdoom read the post i wrote (like 5 down) for the r4 which should help you:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=80335&hl=

-another world
OK, I tried doing DS Doom again on my own and was able to get it to the main screen, where the demo play is being shown. However, it doesn't register any button commands other than Start and the Directional Pad. Ideas on what I did wrong?

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One of the main things that you need to know about the dstt, is never completely fill your mem card because if you do, when the dstt attempts to make a save file and there is no space on the mem card, it wipes the entire card and all you're left with are a few corrupt files.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
One of the main things that you need to know about the dstt, is never completely fill your mem card because if you do, when the dstt attempts to make a save file and there is no space on the mem card, it wipes the entire card and all you're left with are a few corrupt files.
Not needed right now, but good info nonetheless.

Nakura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Well, like I mentioned earlier, I ain't that great on the computer. I would need more help than that. I have no idea how to edit them. I've found the emus here before, but didn't know which was the best to use. After I download them, do I just copy it in the SD? Then get the proper game?"

You edit them in Paint since you probably don't have something like Photoshop. (Start>Accessories>Paint)

As for the emulators, yes. You can create a folder for them individually (Like for SNES put the emulator and all the roms in there), or just put the emulators in the root file and create a roms folder for them.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nakura said:
"Well, like I mentioned earlier, I ain't that great on the computer. I would need more help than that. I have no idea how to edit them. I've found the emus here before, but didn't know which was the best to use. After I download them, do I just copy it in the SD? Then get the proper game?"

You edit them in Paint since you probably don't have something like Photoshop. (Start>Accessories>Paint)

As for the emulators, yes. You can create a folder for them individually (Like for SNES put the emulator and all the roms in there), or just put the emulators in the root file and create a roms folder for them.
I am going to get a key for Photoshop in a couple of days, but what in Paint must I do? I'll try the emus in a sec.

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For DS AIM, open your connections by either using dsorganize or using a game that has networking (mariokart/mk3/pokemon).

On your pc, go the the cmd window by clicking run on the menu and typing cmd
type in "ipconfig /all"
that should show your connection from the pc to the internet. use the same dns and gateway info that shows up there on your ds. next, set your ds ip to one that would be recognized in that same network as your pc ip. so "192.168.0.222" or something similar that you know wouldn't get intereference if you added another device or comp to the network.
it should connect fine after that. the same issue happens with beup and htheb was kind enough to make this fix known to everyone there on his site for beup.

this is assuming that you already have your wireless network's ssid and wep key to gain access. you'll need that too.

Nakura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
Nakura said:

I am going to get a key for Photoshop in a couple of days, but what in Paint must I do? I'll try the emus in a sec.

I'd suggest looking up a tutorial online on how to use Paint. Or just try to figure it out yourself since it's kind of hard to explain how to use it.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sidneyyoung said:
With ds-doom use the 'select' button to start. I think that's correct, it's been a long time since i tried it though.
I tinkered around some more and it worked. I think I just edited a file on accident. It works now!

QUOTE(Tanas @ May 14 2008, 03:37 PM) Quake works fine, just make sure that the data files are in folder called id1 in the root of your card.
I actually think I'm missing downloads for this. What are all the things I need to download for DS Quake?

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS Quake doesn't come with the pak files. You need to put PAK0.pak and PAK1.pak from a full Quake installation in a \id1 folder on your card to play DS Quake.

Also, I've never used the Aim client homebrew (what can I say? I'm an AOL hater), but I do use BeUp Live (I'm a Microsoft hater too, but at least I don't get spammed by robots on MSN like I used to on ICQ). BeUp gives you the option of entering in your IP information and whatnot, but it really prefers that you have all of your connection information already stored in your DS's firmware, which you can set up by using another Nintendo WiFi enabled game.

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
search on google for beup, it comes out under htheb.com i think.....i suggest that if you are looking for homebrew apps in their complete form, use the links available in the homebrew catalogue at dev-scene. they have a full listing of most things that are made available from the community. the only homebrew that isn't working so far for me is any of the snes emus so that i can play mario rpg on the go.....grrr...

Nakura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
OK, I'll try that. However, the SNES emu runs fine on my DS. Which are you using?

Fine is a very bold statement. Super Mario RPG doesn't run at all, try it yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night