Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[yt]Zri1c_If6Ic[/yt]​

With Valve's recent release of the final "Meet the..." video for Team Fortress 2, they also unveiled Source FilmMaker, a free tool for creating animation and editing it.

The tool apparently has been used for all of Valve's animated promotional videos, such as those made for Half Life 2's episodes, Team Fortress 2's Meet the X series of videos, Left 4 Dead's intros and commercials, plus more recent projects like Dota 2.

The tool lets you manipulate animations in a 3D environment instantly, as well as capture motion or create new motion. There's also a facial animation feature, that lets users create complex facial animations, as seen in most of Valve's promotional videos.

There's also various tools to adjust lighting and sound, along with a suite of other tools to make for one of the most impressive pieces of animation software available to consumers.

No release date was given, but a beta will be starting soon and it will include a copy of Meet the Heavy to tweak and fool around with. You can see the video above for all the information.

:arrow: Official Website and Beta Sign Up (Requires Steam)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to see what will come out of this. Maybe a ton of really cool "indie" videos will start popping up.

I'm guessing Valve is using it as an electronic talent scout. Valve has slowly been encroaching on the movie market and if they nab some exceptional talent with this, then they'll be able to release anything from shorts to TV to movies.

My mind is just blown by what this can do, all for free. I signed up for the beta.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And in one fell swoop, Valve turned its ambition to the film industry.

If Valve picks up good filmmakers who use the program (like they've picked up talented modders in the past), they could seriously become a formidable film studio comparable to Pixar. If that's the case, I pity the rest of the competition; it's going to be a bloodbath.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm going to guess that this has something to do with Valve's Adult Swim partnership.

http://www.adultswim.com/promos/valve/

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks interesting, will probably try it out (although I'm sure with my creativity, or lack thereof, I won't be creating anything too spectacular any time soon)

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
THIS.

IS.

EPIIIIIIIIC.

I'm just out of words to describe its awesomeness. If they release it for free, they could compete with professional tools.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already signed up, I've been looking into Film making for about 2 years and just recently starting playing with 3D Animation so this peaked my interest instantly, Hopefully I get accept I would love to play around with this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho