Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Games media site Kotaku has posted up a press release from the guys at Steam:

As Gabe mentioned a few days ago, we will be talking next week about the steps we're taking to make Steam more accessible on televisions and in the living room. Specifically, we have three announcements to make beginning with the first one on Monday morning.
So 3 announcements to come next Monday (23rd)!

Are you interested in the SteamBox?
ku-xlarge.png

Reactions: mon0

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If Big Picture Mode continues to be this much of a resource hog, then no. It eats about 25% CPU when I'm not doing anything with it, even during games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interested mainly to see how it will end up dealing with the likes of the video streaming services that insist on gimping their non PC offerings. Granted it will probably be running on linux and that pretty much answers that question right away (unless virtualisation) but I can always hope.
On the other hand I would welcome a target to aim for in PC specs, "needs steambox 1 or better" works for me.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well they kind of have to unveil what they are planning before the Xbox 1 and PS4 hit the store, now is the time.
Looking forward to it, Steam is just so epic and the more I hear from them, the more I regret not using this service 5 years ago :(

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm...conflicted. On one hand, if this turns out to be a low-cost solution that plays PC games at high quality with low-cost upgrade-able parts, cool. Good for Valve. I might buy one.

On the other, if it's got a price similar to the XBone/PS4 that can only handle mid-quality games and costs a bitch/the same as PC to upgrade to the latest parts (or doesn't even upgrade at all), fuck it. I'd rather build a gaming PC myself that'll last me a few years than to have something like this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm...conflicted. On one hand, if this turns out to be a low-cost solution that plays PC games at high quality with low-cost upgrade-able parts, cool. Good for Valve. I might buy one.

On the other, if it's got a price similar to the XBone/PS4 that can only handle mid-quality games and costs a bitch/the same as PC to upgrade to the latest parts (or doesn't even upgrade at all), fuck it. I'd rather build a gaming PC myself that'll last me a few years than to have something like this.

You have to search a bit, or did when I last ran the exercise, to do it but parts wise you can build a Xbone/PS4 equivalent for about the same price as the Xbone/PS4. I imagine they realise their audience, being at least marginally tech savvy, would crucify them if they tried to pull a fast one here.

Time to wait and see then.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do elaborate. Other than my general dislike of Steam and their approach to things that I care about like second hand games I am struggling to think of a reason to be truly pessimistic at this stage.

General dislike of Steam an their approach to things isn't reason enough?

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Yeah i'm interested in this, wanna know exactly what this piece of kit can do, the pricing & what other features it may have integrated with Steam.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1