Valve teases VR headset reveal for later this year

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 30, 2019.

Front-page
    6KOVqOy.

"Upgrade your experience," says Valve, on their newly created teaser page. We don't know what exactly Valve has up its sleeves, but it appears to be a VR device by the name of the Valve Index. Loads of rumors have been claiming that the industry titan was waiting to jump into the VR headset race, and it seems those claims are true. This May, we'll be treated to a full reveal, as explained by the Steam page, where perhaps we'll also see some Valve-developed VR games to go with it.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (29 replies)
  1. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere bruh

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Unless you can make it affordable for the average user
    I don't think it will sell

RagDollRat, The_Provider and renjiVII like this.
  2. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    What's the VR thing that has most games for it anyway?

3. Der_Blockbuster

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Vr Is nice af, see what AAA companys can make...for example resident evil 7, skyrim.
    It's just about the support.

4. Cubuss

Cubuss GBAtemp Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    wasn't the htc vive the steam vr thingy?

RagDollRat likes this.
  5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Well, it is compatible, but it isn't "the" thing.

x65943 likes this.
  6. renjiVII

renjiVII Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Canada
    British Columbia
    hopefully between $700 to $1000 bundled with the knuckle controllers and lighthouses. $1500 or more like the vive pro is a big nope for me.

I was hoping to hear some news about the vive cosmos this weekend but I guess they're not quite ready to come out with their announcement yet.

7. Mr. Looigi

Mr. Looigi Now available on Windows 10

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Looigi's Mansion
    “Valve is lying to the fans because they’re jealous that oculus is realeasing multiple models this year” says random GBAtemp user @Mr. Looigi

Last edited by Mr. Looigi, Mar 31, 2019
    zoogie likes this.
  8. CorpseFlower

CorpseFlower Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2018
    United States
    But wasn't valve already in headset race it co-developed the vive with htc.
    anyways it seems like its still gonna use base stations which for me an annoying setup.

9. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The 'average user' is still fairly in the dark about VR. Valve is like Apple, though, they have piles and piles of cash just sitting around. So basically they're free to target any niche market they wish. They'll easily beat out Oculus' next revision and own the high-end VR market if they target at least 1440p and 130° FoV.

HTC owns the rights to Vive and released Vive Pro some time ago. Valve wants an HMD with their name on it, and odds are that the Index will be gen2 or at least gen1.5.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 31, 2019
  10. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    The beefy looking cameras on front make me hope that it has a lighthouse-less (sensorless) design similar to the new Oculus headset coming out.

11. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    VR are still expensive as fuck for how little game worth playing on it. For 500$ I would expect a full console with solid game library, not a goggle with two wiimote.

0000ff and tbb043 like this.
  12. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Probably optional, GabeN has confirmed there will be different package levels including headset-only. If I had to guess, the full set will come with the new v2 design base stations, and Valve's new Knuckles controllers. The latter is almost a given, although they'll probably want to change the name for the final revision. :lol:

13. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I'm pretty sure most people want inside-out tracking. Just for space sake. Hopefully it has both wireless and cord in one model.

x65943 likes this.
  14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    “Should we make HL3? Nah! No one wants that shit! Everyone wants another fucking VR headset!” - Valve
    I feel like if Steam didn’t have so much of a hold on the PC gaming market, Valve would have gone under by now.

tbb043 likes this.
  15. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's usually the way it works, you have to buy the wireless module separate or it would make the HMD too expensive.

Kind of an obvious statement to make. They didn't gain that hold by being stupid, though, Steam has constantly improved and added features through the years. SteamVR is the largest competitor in the PC VR space, so Valve knows exactly how much money VR games and VR hardware are raking in. Not to mention they were integral to the original Vive's design. It only makes sense that they'd continue to invest in it. They announced quite a while ago that they were in the process of developing three AAA games for VR as well.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 31, 2019
    Vorde likes this.
  16. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Might be sweet if they bundled it with Portal VR.

Alato likes this.
  17. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I will guess $500 at cheapest, or up to $1200, gotta remember it might come with knuckles + new lighthouses, now valve might be a little more fair on price, since they dont gotta worry about licensing, other then this there is also a new oculus coming for $399, but I'd recommend everyone wait till their announcement, possible it could be mind blowing.

18. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    These are the guys who consider removing customer support and my ability to buy my friends gifts to be an upgrade.

tbb043 likes this.
  19. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    Canada
    In front of my Computer
    Bet its gonna be a bunch of tradeoffs just like Oculus did with the Rift S lol.
    Unless they are aiming for the all in one experience like the Oculus Quest which i think is great to bring real VR to the masses.