Valve shares Steam Deck launch day details; expects Dock to be available in late Spring

steam deck.png

With the Steam Deck's release on Friday 25th, Valve has posted a new update for those waiting to get their hands on the handheld gaming PC. "Starting at 10am Pacific, we'll be sending emails out to the first batch of reservation holders via the address tied to their Steam account," reads the post. "Those folks will then have 72 hours to complete their purchase on Steam for the specific model they reserved. If they cancel or do not purchase in this time frame, we'll release their reservation to the next person in the queue."

Valve also notes that reviews from media outlets that received a review unit will go live around 10am Pacific too.

The post also provides an update on the Dock for Steam Deck, writing that it "won't be happening as early as we wanted". However, the company plans to make them available sometime in late spring.

:arrow: SOURCE

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a PC (tm) so it won't become obsolete if a new model is released. Software development for SD2 will also benefit SD1.

It will last until it literally breaks.
The system it's self will last sure but if they release a new model in like two years or so with higher specs some may regret their purchase or want to wait longer for the new model guess that's just how the books work though. I know I'll be pretty upset if they release a new one in a short amount of time with say like full size M.2 support and sharper displays.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The system it's self will last sure but if they release a new model in like two years or so with higher specs some may regret their purchase or want to wait longer for the new model guess that's just how the books work though. I know I'll be pretty upset if they release a new one in a short amount of time with say like full size M.2 support and sharper displays.
I'm not sure if it could be that quick, but it is something people will have to get used to, just like yearly mobile phone upgrades.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it could be that quick, but it is something people will have to get used to, just like yearly mobile phone upgrades.
I don't think you can really compare it to yearly mobile phones a full fledged pc gaming tablet is a bit more complicated to engineer and produce to the masses I'm just hoping valve doesn't launch these every year or so with a $400+ msrp I'd see that upsetting consumers. I'd like to see new models every 3 years or so at the most.

Shadicluigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There'll be more 2230 m.2 drives as thin laptops use them a lot.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
:rofl2:

... You're not very familiar with desktop pc's, are you?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is that there's no point in pursuing the very best, as that changes the whole time.
But unlike on consoles, it doesn't break backwards compatibility. That's what makes it a moot argument.
Yeah but it would still be silly to just release new models every two years just to tweak it when performance won't be that very noticeable a good 3-5 years imo is a good time window to make it feel like you actually got use out of something you just bought not long ago. It's not that I'm at the very best I just don't want to feel bummed knowing I could've waited a bit longer just for something better portability wise.

BrandonSWITCH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would like EGPU support, wether that be through the M.2 slot or through the type C port (or thunderbolt if it has it). Also for games like Fortnite I might try running them through KVM with Single GPU Passthrough or maybe I'll dualboot Windows 10 LTSC 21H2.

Q2-2022: (My Deck Reservation Estimate)
01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Like I said, people with criminal records tend to play the victim an awful lot. Thats all the more im going to say
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    in the wanted list thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I can prove what I am saying
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    haven't seen both
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: haven't seen both