Valve says the Steam Deck is "on track" to ship by the end of February

steam deck.png

Valve's highly anticipated handheld gaming PC, the Steam Deck met with some production delays but appears to be on track to ship by the end of next month. In its latest update, the company says that they're "on track to ship Steam Deck on time". "Global pandemic, supply issues, and shipping issues notwithstanding, it looks like we'll be able to start getting these out the door by the end of February," further notes the blog post. They also shared a picture of the first units in-house to test and evaluate (see above).

In its update, Valve also notes that they've been rolling out the Steam Deck Verified program and shipping dev kits to have game developers to test their games and have a green Verified check to show compatibility with the console. They are checking 4 major categories (input, seamlessness, display, and system support) and Steam users will soon be able to see Deck Verified status for Steam games.

With Valve's latest hardware a couple of weeks away, it will be interesting to see how well it performs, especially since the handheld PC gaming market has been growing with competitors like the ONEXPLAYER mini and AYA NEO NEXT.

:arrow: SOURCE

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Steam Deck can play most of the same games that Series X and PS5 can, while Switch will never even be able to run certain PS4/XBO games. If the latter can be considered a home console despite its shortcomings, then the former certainly can be as well.
They don't consider Switch a home console because its power. Nintendo has spend tons of money to advertise Switch as a hybrid console, so much so that everyone just unconsciously accepted it as fact. Most of Steam Deck ads are "It can run Steam on the go" so why would anyone consider it as home console?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They don't consider Switch a home console because its power. Nintendo has spend tons of money to advertise Switch as a hybrid console, so much so that everyone just unconsciously accepted it as fact. Most of Steam Deck ads are "It can run Steam on the go" so why would anyone consider it as home console?
Because it can just as easily use a USB-C dock or hub to connect to a display, perhaps? It doesn't matter what the perception is anyway, I doubt Valve is gonna go super hard on the marketing for Steam Deck unless/until supply catches up to demand and it's still selling exceedingly well. It's more a niche product for adults, not something everybody's gonna buy for their ten-year-old relatives. And that's just fine, Valve is taking a loss on the hardware here regardless.

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have to say I am failing to see the appeal too. Maybe the most enthusiastic around here can shed some light

I don't have a gaming computer to sit in front of, and I'm not going to sit in my living room and play games on a TV.

I *have* been playing games on a PSP and then Vita for the last 15 years, and the Steam Deck is a real computer that is a massive upgrade from the consoles I have been using. That's all there is to it.

Deleted member 577889

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now imag
Because it can just as easily use a USB-C dock or hub to connect to a display, perhaps? It doesn't matter what the perception is anyway, I doubt Valve is gonna go super hard on the marketing for Steam Deck unless/until supply catches up to demand and it's still selling exceedingly well. It's more a niche product for adults, not something everybody's gonna buy for their ten-year-old relatives. And that's just fine, Valve is taking a loss on the hardware here regardless.
You guys make it look like it's some kind of novelty. 200$ Samsung tablets and some phones can do that, too. It's just a gimmick .If you want to do office work, you need a laptop or a computer, no way around it. And some companies will likely want you to have a mac.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You guys make it look like it's some kind of novelty. 200$ Samsung tablets and some phones can do that, too.
Not sure what you're smoking, but $200 tablets and phones most certainly cannot play modern AAA games from Steam. If you're just looking to play shitty P2W mobile games, then sure, you can get a device that's up to the task for even less than that.

If you want to do office work, you need a laptop or a computer, no way around it. And some companies will likely want you to have a mac.
Firstly, Steam Deck is a computer. Secondly, there's nothing stopping you from plugging a keyboard and mouse and doing office work on it, even though that will of course be a more niche use case. You're more likely to bring it to the office to play some games during lunch/breaks.

Deleted member 577889

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what you're smoking, but $200 tablets and phones most certainly cannot play modern AAA games from Steam. If you're just looking to play shitty P2W mobile games, then sure, you can get a device that's up to the task for even less than that.

Firstly, Steam Deck is a computer. Secondly, there's nothing stopping you from plugging a keyboard and mouse and doing office work on it, even though that will of course be a more niche use case. You're more likely to bring it to the office to play some games during lunch/breaks.
first, you're too toxic :)
adding to ignore

Deleted member 577889

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for it to come out so I can see people's hype paying off

I wanna get one too eventually, I need games to be portable and a lot of them don't run very well on switch...
if you'll check the compatibility list, it looks like deck won't run a lot of things. Only what supports steamoOS?

They say you can install windows to fix that, but I don't think it's a good idea. Window does a lot of things in the background. It's different from a dedicated gaming device, no matter how you turn things around. It'll likely perform worse than Steam OS. Plus I don't imagine it'll look good at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: