Valve Restrict Steam Tradings to Deal with Hackers

Former Valve Employee_ 'It Felt a Lot Like High School' _ WIRED.jpg

Valve has announced new restrictions on Steam trading.
The new change deals with online games where you can be banned, either by Valve's anti-cheating software or individual game developers. You can no longer purchase copies of these games and then save them to be gifted later. If you're purchasing a copy that isn't for the account you're purchasing it with, you'll need to immediately gift it to someone else. Additionally, if you gift a copy of a game to someone who then goes on to receive a permanent ban, you'll lose the ability to gift copies of that game to other people.

Do you guys agree with this decision? And why?​

Source

Last edited by Froster,
Reactions: Feeling it!

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
If you're purchasing a copy that isn't for the account you're purchasing it with, you'll need to immediately gift it to someone else
I guess that makes sense. I thought it was cool being able to do this, but I never actually did it. I guess it helps get rid of abuse, so Steam/Devs get more of the money (so there aren't people buying a game during the sale, and selling it later for profit).

Additionally, if you gift a copy of a game to someone who then goes on to receive a permanent ban, you'll lose the ability to gift copies of that game to other people.
Why should I have to be punished for someone else's wrongdoings?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm already not allowed to trade because I only use 2FA instead of 3FA, so it doesn't affect me.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I found the source.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1327-WUJX-5722

Turns out they did this because people stockpile games on one account, then gift them to other accounts under their control so they can continue cheating. While I still think Valve is going a little far restricting gifting like that, at least they have a real reason.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see why there's rage on this thread. If your gifting games to people who hack then you need to rethink who your friends are. I can see why traders are mad but the platform was never intended to be used that way so if you wanna complain go find some other massive game distribution platform.

Last edited by marksteele,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
waaaat I don't get it.
Whats happening?

tl;dr: you can't stockpile game gifts anymore, if you buy a gift you have to send it right when you buy it. If someone you trade to gets a perm ban you can't trade that game anymore

This affects:
Cheaters (can't stockpile games on sale to cheat later on)
Traders (can't stockpile games on sale to make money later on, have to worry about trading to a cheater and getting trade banned for that game)
People who do random giveaways (Risky to give out games now because someone who gets it could hack)

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well all the steam games i've ever given were humble bundle keys so I guess i'm okay?

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read over this story twice and I dont fully understand.

For the most part I understand this is suppose to deter cheating and rightfully so, so if a cheater who is perma banned gives a game to a friend is that friend banned from trading? How is that fair especially if they didnt know they were perma banned, unless I'm misunderstanding.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read over this story twice and I dont fully understand.

For the most part I understand this is suppose to deter cheating and rightfully so, so if a cheater who is perma banned gives a game to a friend is that friend banned from trading? How is that fair especially if they didnt know they were perma banned, unless I'm misunderstanding.

No. If that FRIEND game the game TO someone who then cheats and gets banned, then that friend is banned from trading that ONE game

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. If that FRIEND game the game TO someone who then cheats and gets banned, then that friend is banned from trading that ONE game
Alright, like someone said before if you have longtime friends then you should know by now how they like to play their games. They should also be honest too about their status, at least thats what a good friend would do.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q) Does this affect non VAC games I might want to buy on g2a?
I don't see why there's rage on this thread. If your gifting games to people who hack then you need to rethink who your friends are. I can see why traders are mad but the platform was never intended to be used that way so if you wanna complain go find some other massive game distribution platform.
I can't imagine why people on a video game hacking forum might be worried about having hacker friends.

Reactions: Deleted User

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Q) Does this affect non VAC games I might want to buy on g2a?

I can't imagine why people on a video game hacking forum might be worried about having hacker friends.

Last I checked GBATemp was an independent gaming community (says so rite in their logo)

As for your Q. It would also apply to online games where the devs can ban you. Outside of those and VAC games you're fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr