Valve removes nearly 1,000 games from Steam after abuse of Steamworks tools

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 26, 2019.

Front-page
    steam_logo_art_2000.0.jpg

If you've ever browsed the Steam storefront, you'll no doubt have seen copious amounts of cheap-looking games, created as low-effort cash-grabs. Games like this flooding Valve's service have been notorious for years, but it appears that they've been cracking down within the past day. Hundreds of games were removed from Steam, with Valve stating that the reason for the purge was due to publishers who were "abusing" Steamworks tools. Nearly 1,000 different tiles were affected, though most if not all of them were barely known at all, with no major indie or AAA games having been removed at this time, and many were from a single specific publisher called Dagestan Technology.

:arrow: Source

Tags: Valve Corporation

Discussion (37 replies)
  1. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    I checked the entire list, and YES, all of them are low-budget cash grabs, for sure.
    So that was a smart decision.

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    How can you be so cruel to Jumping Boy, clearly the GOTY candidate for 2019?!

[​IMG]

3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    That's nice...but I never saw these games in my experience in browsing the Steam store. Is it because I use Steam Curators, sorting tools, and the like? I hear this complaint from people online all the time, and I legitimately have never seen it in my experience!

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    How exactly does one abuse SteamWorks tools?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Next, they need to remove all those lame-ass RPG Maker-made games. Those are all trash-tier attempts at making an RPG, especially with some of the very common asset packs they use.

5. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Dang it, that's half my library down the toilet. Or at least further down than they already were.

Mike_77712, souhukyafod, KEHT and 6 others like this.
  6. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Bold and brash, more like belongs in the trash.

7. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    No not Hentai Bicycle Race

8. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Wish Nintendo would have done this with RCMADIAX.

9. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Using steam work tools to produce modifications of their games and selling the post modified games as completely new titles. When in reality they were just reskins with very little, if any changes. Several of these games unfortunately have been ported to the switch. Nintendo needs to take a look at the indie games they let on their own store front and do their own fat trimming

CoolStarDood, 1MiinMofo and Jayro like this.
  10. Taffy

Taffy jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    I for one am very upset about this, this is an affront to humanity. LSGL everyone! Let Shit--i mean uh, Super Games Lie!

11. cots

cots GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Do you have a list of which of these games were ported to the Switch? I'd like to avoid them if all possible.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Do I get to say so much for Steam's "we're not censoring people any more" bit yet?

13. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    Try going to the new releases list and clicking view all new releases, you'll see them that way.

14. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Madagascar
    How much did the publisher make out of those copy & paste?

15. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    You'd be surprised... TL;DW, someone setup a bot that made generic slot machine games and posted them on the Android App store automatically, and they actually made a decent amount of money. I've seen 'games' on the Steam store that are literally the same game but they used different art assets.

chartube12 and 1MiinMofo like this.
  16. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Somehow I have a copy of Dagestan Technology Lunar Bundle Part 2 in my Steam Library, but it doesn't show up in my library under anything and with the store page taken down I can't figure out what else it means, so I may have gotten a free copy of something I never wanted in the first place, or it was part of something else I got. Either way, never played it, and never will now.

17. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    I second cots on this! I'd like to see a list of those games on the eShop. I'm not doubting what you say, chartube12, I just want to see what crap Nintendo approved for sale on their storefront.

cots and chartube12 like this.
  18. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Obviously the big publishers are bribing valve to take out the competition. It's a conspiracy I tell you!

brenokk, Redhorse and Chary like this.
  19. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I’ll take a look tomorrow. I’m currently at work. I don’t know the names off hand. I know there are quite a few ‘town/village builder’. You go out and hunt monsters, dragons ect and bring back the rewards for cash. Least count I saw 3 of them, seen they were adding another version awhile ago. All the same game. Only difference is what you fight. They didn’t even bother to change the music. I know those were I steam and android. I look when I have time and get the names. And just to see if there are more. I believe there are more but not many. Still no a good thing to let reskins in your store front

Dust2dust likes this.