Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually it's nothing like that Firefox thingy (seeing the add-ons run ON Firefox, while AVG doesn't run ON Steam)
Actually AVG hooks into the windows Kernel (just like every other active AV), which Steam runs under (just like every other program), so it is a fair comparison.

If there's something going on, then it's AVG's fault, it's the modifications that AVG is doing to windows that's causing the issue. Steam can't replace your windows Kernel (and even if it did, that would disable AVG).

Reactions: 1 person

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So anyway, on topic.

Has anyone here actually got in yet? I guess I'm in the queue now. Pretty excited to have the ability to waste money on steam games, ON THE GO.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There are thousands of people having this error, for years, and they refuse to fix it. They give is a very long list with not that much info (just the name of the program) and that's all.
I would expect such a company with so many great sales and a good reputation to fix that after so much time, but no, they just don't care enough. It's their loss, reason I didn't buy Skyrim, but had to pirate it. Reason I didn't buy BLOPS and MW3, pirated it.
Scroll down the list and you will see WHY they cannot fix this

The programs themselves mess up Steam. They can't do ANYTHING about it.
It's like when you install a faulty addon for Firefox and it messes everything up. Whose fault is it, Mozilla or the addon?
Actually it's nothing like that Firefox thingy (seeing the add-ons run ON Firefox, while AVG doesn't run ON Steam), but I know where you're going. But why can't Steam alter the way their program work, instead of the other way around? Steam has a crapload of updates everytime I see it, yet they can't fix this?
Steam works with both AVG free and full for me.
Actually it's nothing like that Firefox thingy (seeing the add-ons run ON Firefox, while AVG doesn't run ON Steam)
Actually AVG hooks into the windows Kernel (just like every other active AV), which Steam runs under (just like every other program), so it is a fair comparison.

If there's something going on, then it's AVG's fault, it's the modifications that AVG is doing to windows that's causing the issue. Steam can't replace your windows Kernel (and even if it did, that would disable AVG).
AVG was just an example of software that I have running, there's loads more of that list on here. I never said it's AVG it's fault, it could be them but more likely it's something else.
It's just too much work for me to fix this, they need to do some work too to get some customers back, they are missing out on my money, not vice versa. It's their problem, I can live without Steam.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It's just too much work for me to fix this, they need to do some work too to get some customers back, they are missing out on my money, not vice versa. It's their problem, I can live without Steam.
Steam can live without you and the 'thousands' of other people too.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Steam can live without you and the 'thousands' of other people too.
Companies want moneyz, the more the merrier, they won't miss out on potential customers. And that's exactly what Valve is missing out on. Like I said, I would have bought Skyrim, but as soon as I heard it was Steam only I ditched that plan. Had to ditch it, can't live without Skyrim :creep:

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are thousands of people having this error, for years, and they refuse to fix it. They give is a very long list with not that much info (just the name of the program) and that's all.
I would expect such a company with so many great sales and a good reputation to fix that after so much time, but no, they just don't care enough. It's their loss, reason I didn't buy Skyrim, but had to pirate it. Reason I didn't buy BLOPS and MW3, pirated it.
Scroll down the list and you will see WHY they cannot fix this

The programs themselves mess up Steam. They can't do ANYTHING about it.
It's like when you install a faulty addon for Firefox and it messes everything up. Whose fault is it, Mozilla or the addon?
Actually it's nothing like that Firefox thingy (seeing the add-ons run ON Firefox, while AVG doesn't run ON Steam), but I know where you're going. But why can't Steam alter the way their program work, instead of the other way around? Steam has a crapload of updates everytime I see it, yet they can't fix this?

I wonder if you get a single thing about how this works. There are things you _can't_ change. Those programs listed can interfere with a lot of other things(Of course, I run a pretty hefty chunk of that list and I've never had a problem...across 4-5 computers, too.). Anti-viruses can fuck with everything. Skype...that's Skype's issue, it's known to mess with stuff(worst thing off hand, iirc, is Wc3). Otherwise, the list is just stuff that may cause problems because they use similar stuff because there's not many other ways to do it. Let's take a look at the list...Torrent software. Uses a LARGE chunk of your bandwidth unless you have it manually changed. Steam runs on a constantly active connection. They'll interfere. Hamachi/Logmein. Programs that help other programs connect. And there's only 6 programs on there they say you shouldn't have if you want Steam. 6. These "1000s of people"...you're the first I've met. I don't see anything about it on the forums, either. So yeah, I stand by you just complaining without knowing how to fix it. Of course, I could be wrong.

Wish I was in the beta, Steam Mobile's been something I've wanted for a looooong time.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
AVG was just an example of software that I have running, there's loads more of that list on here. I never said it's AVG it's fault, it could be them but more likely it's something else.
So you're too lazy to try some troubleshooting to find what the issue is in your case? Ever thought that maybe it'd help other people too?

And I don't know how often people need to tell you "It's other programs, not steam" before you get it.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
wow we have stretched the steam not working argument there
me like zerosuit also did not have any idea valve ran steam. no wonder its name is valve and they created steam ie. valve releases steam (lol)

its a great idea and they arent gonna lose ANYTHING

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Just got into the beta, and the app seems to be very well done, i like it ^_^

I've been wanting something like this for ages, even if only to see if someone is online without needing to get out of bed :P

I also got a gift thingy in my steam inventory to invite a friend (friends? not sure if it's one use only) with.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else got into the beta yet? I just received a notice and now I'm in. Looks nice so far.
Yup, I got in a few hours ago https://twitter.com/...003518347784192

For anyone using iOS: No push notifications yet (it's coming up in the next update)
>implying I follow you

Push is good; I was just talking to Antoligy about lack of push notifications on iOS. The chat system looks pretty nice, though could maybe do with a few things ironing out. I've already had a couple of messages fail to send, but I've sent a fair amount of others just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: halllo