Valve potentially looking into getting Windows games to run on Linux

Steam-Machines-hed-796x419.jpg

For gamers, one of the biggest drawbacks to Linux operating systems is the lack of compatibility with many major PC games. Valve created their own SteamOS, which is Linux-based, but ultimately it didn't go very far in terms of gaming. Steam machines running the aforementioned OS were quietly removed from Steam's main page, though updates are still being pushed out. Within some of these updates have been interesting notes, with references to something that could "let users play games built for other operating systems". Called "Steam Play", it would work similarly to Wine, and allow for Linux users to boot Windows games on their computer. It appears that Steam has been tinkering and playing with such a feature since at least January of this year. While a 3.0 update of SteamOS is coming soon, we probably won't see anything officially announced in regards to this for a while yet, if ever. Since Valve hasn't said anything about this, it could just be something that the company is looking into to test the waters, but at the same time, the latest updates show that they've created a UI to change settings in regards to "Steam Play", meaning things could be a bit more concrete.

:arrow: Source: GitHub

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It would be nice if Microsoft released an official version of DirectX for Linux. It doesn't have to be open source, but could be something that is only licensed to run on certain systems. This way Microsoft can still make money even if people aren't buying a Windows license. SteamOS would be one such OS that could make it useful.
The only way that Microsoft would release DirectX for Linux is if they made a Linux version of the Xbox Marketplace and they made DirectX only compatible/usable with software bought there.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any reason for anyone to use only linux? Why does it still exist even?

This is rather ignorant and it may shock you to learn that even if general desktop usage is low, Linux is widely used in embedded devices (including chances are your router), smartphones (Android, etc.), servers (including mine), etc.

It's also free and open source which is a big draw to many people and it can be quite powerful in the right hands.

Ultimately it depends on the user as to whether they'd use it instead of e.g. Windows (if you can e.g. Raspberry Pi); but just because you don't use it, directly/knowingly, doesn't make it irrelevant.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way that Microsoft would release DirectX for Linux is if they made a Linux version of the Xbox Marketplace and they made DirectX only compatible/usable with software bought there.
Well, they are being nice with others. Microsoft and Nintendo with their Cross-Play. Microsoft and what originally was only Canonical for Bash on Windows, now various Linux distros on Windows. I don't see why not. Would expand their ecosystem some more. Even if they can't get people to pay for a license for Windows 10, they still would be able to make some money from their users who want to play Fortnight or other cross-play games with their 'rich' Windows 10/Xbox friends.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be bad for native Linux gaming ("if our windows game works on wine, why make a linux version?"), but good for overall adoption of Linux.
I wonder if it could also be used to allow non steam windows apps ro run on linux though. to have a plug and play method for everything would be pretty great

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it could also be used to allow non steam windows apps ro run on linux though. to have a plug and play method for everything would be pretty great
Doubt it. It's most likely going to install games inside a container of some kind, similar to WINE bottles. The GTA "ports" already do this.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doubt it. It's most likely going to install games inside a container of some kind, similar to WINE bottles. The GTA "ports" already do this.
That, or it could also be some version of Virtual Machines, running a Windows OS in some version of Virtualbox or VMWare. Wouldn't be too surprising, though it would increase the price of the systems. However, given that most Steam consoles would have the full proprietary graphics drivers installed, it would make sense if they found a way to use IOMMU and PCI Passthru to give a guest machine full graphic capabilities. That is one of the shortcomings of playing games in virtual machines, that they don't have full access to the GPU and VRAM, and PCI Passthru would overcome those.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason for anyone to use only windows? Why does it still exist even after 7 didn't have virtual desktops, then 8 came out and was everyone's favorite OS (/s), then 10 came out and had virtual desktops but still no tabs in the file explorer?

Have the issues with certain hardware drivers finally stopped being a bitch to install on Linux? Like nVidia GPU drivers?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the issues with certain hardware drivers finally stopped being a bitch to install on Linux? Like nVidia GPU drivers?
That's true. It's difficult for proprietary drivers to be installed on Linux. For AMD, the drivers are hit and miss, but if you have an old enough graphics card, you're stuck either with generic drivers for your brands new Linux distro, or stuck on an old distro with an older X server for their Legacy Drivers to work in, as their legacy drivers won't work on newer distros. For nVidia, I don't have a lot of experience with those, but my most recent experience with it has been rather good. I do know that when Valve started working on their Steam OS, they worked with nVidia and AMD to create better drivers for the Linux OS, so there's a chance that they did work out the driver bugs.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

sudo apt install nvidia-384

Really, using nvidia gpu drivers has been trivial under Ubuntu for ages. Still buggy in various ways, but that's nvidia for you.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason for anyone to use only linux? Why does it still exist even?
Linux gives you control. Tons of options. Fuck it, if you want to, using Linux as a base, you can write your own OS. It’s not locked-down, it’s not copyrighted, it’s not owned.

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Read the thread again. I never said "don't use Windows, it's shit, Linux Linux does everything better". I only explained to someone who said exactly that but in favor of Windows why Linux is relevant.

D

Deleted User

valve seems to be really pro linux which is something i've always respected them for, as for people saying oh this is just going to be a wine alternative I really don't see the problem? I would love to see a company with the money that valve has and the passion for linux gaming do their own attempted on a gaming focused alternative to wine

I personally only use windows for steam and would love to move back to arch or xubuntu if this release ends up being more stable than wine

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This might be bad for native Linux gaming ("if our windows game works on wine, why make a linux version?"), but good for overall adoption of Linux.
That pretty much describes Linux in a lot of ways recently, stop catering to current users' demands (in this case, native games) and do something for more adoption (Wine-ing games instead of native ports). Not sure if it is a good thing though, at least any BSD descendant is a good fallback for a more Unix-y system.

Soooooooo...AKA Wine. GG Valve, great idea, never before seen!

Nice news, I suppose. Might make devs ignore native Linux ports more so than now, but if this can get Windows based games running just as well without compatibility issues like Wine it'll still be worth it for die-hard Linux fans.
I am pretty sure this will be Wine-based, with a few addons like DXVK. Valve knows who runs Steam on Wine and what they run, so they know what works and what doesn't

That's true. It's difficult for proprietary drivers to be installed on Linux. For AMD, the drivers are hit and miss, but if you have an old enough graphics card, you're stuck either with generic drivers for your brands new Linux distro, or stuck on an old distro with an older X server for their Legacy Drivers to work in, as their legacy drivers won't work on newer distros. For nVidia, I don't have a lot of experience with those, but my most recent experience with it has been rather good. I do know that when Valve started working on their Steam OS, they worked with nVidia and AMD to create better drivers for the Linux OS, so there's a chance that they did work out the driver bugs.
The "generic" AMD driver surpasses the old Catalysm in most scenarios AFAIK.

Or just...don't use Linux?
Enjoy your monopoly, I guess. Competition is good and Steam having an alternative to Windows in case MS decides to lock it down is a smart move, instead of saying "Don't use Linux", you should praise efforts into getting an alternative going.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I hope it's true, but a bit of code isn't exactly the same as valve's board of directors giving it a full go. :unsure:

It certainly has potential. Just yesterday I checked up on some of my non-linux games on steam and their wine-status. About two-thirds had either gold or platinum status at some point (meaning: perfect emulation or just a few tweaks). So on the grand scheme of things, this could be hundreds of games being made easier to launch. I attribute @Tom Bombadildo 's post that running windows games on steam...is already possible, but with a caveat. I think I still have that laptop that runs 2 versions of steam at the same time (a native linux one and one wine-configured windows one). The latter CAN be used to download, install and even play games, but while I'm not an expert, I think these always run with the same settings as that steam installer. In any case: it reminded more of the status of early emulators than an actual feature, as even the "this runs on a potato" games had some sort of glitches.

The native linux gaming won't be much of an issue. Depending on the engine you use, compiling a game for another operating system is just a matter of pressing a "compile for <insert OS>" button. And as the adoption of linux grows, there'll be more demand for support as well. And that might be the main thing holding valve back more than the technical aspect: are developers willing to allow valve to pretend their game runs on an operating system they might know nothing about?

Thanks for mentioning lutris. I wanted to mention that as well. More in the sense of: how is it?

The idea of "all your games under one roof on linux" widely appeals to me, but it doesn't seem to move much in terms of development (which is essential in a project this size). And I don't get the impression that, say, windows games requiring minor tweaks to run on linux, can REALLY be just installed with a minimum of extra clicks. :unsure:

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
He’s just asking a question...
Read the thread again too. Why did he quote me who never said anything good about Linux or GPUs? He's basically assuming I'm a Linux fanboy who will tell bad things about all OSes and will never accept that Linux has drawbacks, but wait, what is this whole thread about? Games not running on Linux. Hence all the people who have both Windows and Linux, which I belong to because I know the drawbacks to both of them, so he absolutely didn't need to jump on a Linux drawback as soon as I picked drawbacks to Windows when someone said Linux has no advantage.

Once again, I was answering to someone who said Linux shouldn't exist. I said of course it should, interface-wise you can get whatever you want.
but can u haz gpu??
What does that question have to do with me?
Or maybe indeed he was just asking a question, and he quoted me because I seemed like the local Linux expert even though his question was not related to my answer... Yeah no, see his next post, he was clearly trying to win a war against Linux fanboys, except I'm not one.

Forget it, he didn't like my questioning driver support for Linux on certain hardware.
I absolutely don't mind that question, and you know why? I have two PCs, one with a GPU and Windows for games, one without a GPU and Linux for everything else, exactly because I hate GPUs on Linux. There was even a very dumb time in 2016 where nvidia drivers were available for Ubuntu... 14.04 (the version from 2014) and not for Ubuntu 16.04 (the version from 2016). Or if they were available, they were very well hidden because a stupid apt-get worked on 14.04 and not on 16.04.
Maybe they work in 2018 but I don't even want to know that. I have enough Vietnam flashbacks of installing all the shit over and over again just to see that it doesn't work.

...But still, you do have to read that thread again because either you quoted the wrong person or you assumed wrong stuff about my saying, so you are wrong either way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1