Valve Orange Box

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Chanser, Sep 12, 2007.

Sep 12, 2007

Valve Orange Box by Chanser at 12:43 AM (5,958 Views / 0 Likes) 70 replies

1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau

2. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Yeah I'm getting this for sure.

Half Life 2
    Half Life 2: episode 1
    Half Life 2: episode 2
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Peggle Extreme

$44.95 [​IMG] what a deal

If you already have half life you can give it away to someone else as a 'gift'

Portal looks crazy awesome
    TF2 has been in development sooo long and looks to be crazy awesome also
    HalfLife 2 ep 2 Looks much better than episode 1 and is meant to be longer with vehicles like HL2

You get to play TF2 on monday, before it comes out if you preorder now [​IMG]

/me preorders

3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Meh.
    I just want EP2.

4. acidrain

Newcomer acidrain Advanced Member

Canada
    Great deal indeed..
    Thanks for the info!

But how can I give my "extra" copy of half-life to someone else?
    EDIT: Nevermind i found out on their website.

5. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been excited for Portal for a while and having only played Half Life 2 makes this an incredible deal...but I still may not even have enough money for it...

6. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    That deal sucks. I already have HL2 and Episode one, and I don't want to buy them again to get Portal, Episode 2, and TF 2. It's not worth $50 (It's $45 if you pre-buy it with steam, and you don't want to know how I feel about them)

7. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Will be grabbing this for 360 it's one of my must-haves for this year, the amount of content your getting is amazing. I've only beaten HL2 on the first xbox so it will be fun to see how much better it looks and runs on 360. Portal looks great too, nice to see some original ideas created with the engine. I read somewhere that the game uses 94% of the 360's power, pretty impressive.
    Can anyone tell me how long, hour-wise, episode 1 & 2 are?

8. cubin'

Australia

dude...it's a good deal just for HL2 ep 2, portal and TF2. Think of it as getting the other games for free.

you could always buy them by themselves if you like?? I don't think this kind of deal can be bitched about...they could sell all three games at full price if they wanted to.

What problems have you had with steam? I know people love to hate on it but I'm interested in what your personal experience with it is.

if anyone hasn't played team fortress make sure you check it out, amazing multiplayer game

Thug: 5-6 hours max for episode one which is a bit disappointing, episode 2 is meant to be a bit longer. Play it on hard so it lasts longer [​IMG]

9. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    hmn not bad I guess. Probably be some achievement for hard mode so will give it a whirl. Thx [​IMG]

10. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    It would cost more seperatly

11. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So why exactly does the deal suck?

12. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Because I already bought HL2 and Episode One, and if there were another box without them, it would most likely be $30

13. cubin'

Australia
    $10 per game? I wish, but it's just not gonna happen.

I'm very happy with the orange box, I'll keep half life 2 and ep 1 for someones birthday [​IMG]

14. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    No, $20 for Episode 2 (8 hours) and the other 2 for $10. And it's Steam. I doubt very highly that there will be a seperate key for every game, meaning that you won't be able to share

15. cubin'

Australia
    Episode 2 should be longer than 8 hours and portal and TF2 for $10 would be amazing. They will go for $20 each I would think.

"To bring gamers up to date with the Half-Life 2 universe, The Orange Box also includes Half-Life 2, the best-selling and highest-rated action game series of all time, and the episodic debut Half-LifeĀ® 2: Episode One. Customers who already own these titles will have the ability to conveniently "gift" them to a friend upon official release of The Orange Box."

I'm not sure I understand why you think this is such a sucky deal, if you don't like don't buy it.

16. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    I bought it today. I only had HL2 that I bought for $10 from somewhere foreign... It's a great deal, now HL2 and mods can go to my bro-in-law. W00t, TF2 Beta, ep 1+2!!! Don't forget portal.

Don't forget about peggle extreme. It's a very dramagic game.

edit: I remember reading that the black box was canceled for RETAIL, and should be on steam later on in the release cycle. cross your fingers hardcore HL2 fans.

17. JimmyJangles

Newcomer JimmyJangles Advanced Member

United States
    I'm seeing so many people complaining about this it's unbelievable. (only 1 person here, but you should see other forums)

No brand new game ever sells for less than $20, and those that do are generally not too great. Episode 2 by itself would count as a new high quality game and would be no less than $30. Black Box, which is what all the complainers desperately want, would still have been 3 games, which would be what? $50-60? That would still be a good deal as far as I'm concerned. And had the Orange Box not existed, I'm sure everyone would've considered it to be a good deal as well. But no, 5 games for $45 and suddenly Valve is screwing people over.

18. Disturbed1

Member Disturbed1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Personally, I would pay the $50 just for TF2 alone. I don't know how you could possibly be complaining that you only get 3 games you like for $50.....kids these days are so spoiled.

19. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    You mean people here on GBAtemp are spoiled with their DS flash carts and rock 'n' roll...

20. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Eh... Nooo! I'm missing EP1, EP2, TF2, Portal, Peggle, and Day of Defeat Source. I'll only consider this for 360 if it's without the latter on PC, since I don't have normal HL2 on 360 yet.