Valve officially announces Steam Deck, its handheld gaming PC releasing this December

steam deck.JPG

The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) wasn't the "Pro" upgrade many expected it to be with 4K support and new internals but before its announcement, other handhelds aimed to take the role of the "Switch Pro". The AYA NEO and GPD Win 3 are among those devices shooting for that nickname since they are able to run recent AAA PC games on the go, given that they are handheld gaming PCs. Their efforts and popularity, although niche, enticed companies like Lenovo and Tencent to make similar concepts or patents; indicating that these indie companies might have more serious competition in the future.

It seems like this will indeed be the case and these handheld gaming PC manufacturers will need to brace themselves as Valve is itself entering this market with a Valve-branded handheld gaming PC. This news was actually reported back in May and today we have the official confirmation. In a Steam post today, Valve revealed the Steam Deck, an AMD-based handheld gaming PC that is expected to begin shipping in December 2021 in select regions.

The software giant partnered with AMD to create a custom APU for the handheld that is said to be "optimized for handheld gaming". "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope," reads the announcement.

It will run on SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based) and there will be several models of the Steam Deck, which differ on the storage capacity, with the base model starting at $399. However, every model will include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity. For more details about the models available and their price, refer to the image below:

steam deck models.JPG

You can find additional specs details in the images below (click/tap to enlarge):

specs 1.JPG specs 2.JPG

And just like the AYA NEO and GPD Win 3, the Steam Deck will also have a dock which will be sold separately. This accessory will provide ports for external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. More details about the dock's pricing will be announced at a later date but you can find some specs details in the thumbnail below:

dock.png

specs dock.JPG

Valve says that the Steam Deck will start shipping this December to the United States, Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom, with more regions coming in 2022. However, to be able to purchase one, you will need to book a paid reservation which will let you pre-order when the time comes. This reservation fee will also count towards the Steam Deck purchase price.

"The main reason for reservations is to ensure an orderly and fair ordering process for customers when Steam Deck inventory becomes available," writes Valve in the announcement FAQ. "The additional fee gives us a clearer signal of intent to purchase, which gives us better data to balance supply chain, inventory, and regional distribution leading up to launch."

Reservations for the Steam Deck will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT. For more details about the new handheld gaming PC, head to the source link and official Steam Deck website linked below.

Are you interested in getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Steam Deck Official Website

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I won my fight to the death for a 512GB model at the 21m mark. Is that the front of the queue or the back? I don't fucking know. They're still unstable judging by the twitter stream.

Not exactly a smooth launch, huh?

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly it shows Q2 2022 for the 512GB model now. I expected that to sell the least.
Nah. The higher storage models usually sell out quick. Same thing happened with the 512GB model of the S21 Ultra.

Reactions: Xzi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Well it took about an hour with a surprisingly quick response from Steam support because my account got blocked, but I finally placed a deposit for a 512GB.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my thumbs hurt just thinking about these sticks.
wouldve been better to put the pads, which youll probably rarely use, where the sticks are.

also xbox button lettering. ugh

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Interestingly it shows Q2 2022 for the 512GB model now. I expected that to sell the least.

I can think of some possible reasons:
1) They may be making less of them
2) It's the only model with anti-glare
3) AFAIK you can't officially upgrade the SSD, so if you don't want to rely on mSD it may be the best option.
4) It's the lower priority SKU to make
5) It's more complicated to make

Last edited by tech3475,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my thumbs hurt just thinking about these sticks.
wouldve been better to put the pads, which youll probably rarely use, where the sticks are.

also xbox button lettering. ugh

Fukkin' xbox buttons amirite mates
7a20f413-2f9e-46c9-9b5f-8cdb32d125cc_1.1f0a2f6313f2fb2cd3c42f4566f44506.jpeg

Reactions: Chary and Kioku

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Woo, got my reservation for the 256GB model! Hopefully I managed to get in for Q1.

Just check the steam deck info page. If you're logged in, the availability date is based off when you ordered. My 512GB reservation continues to show Q1, for example. Of course, this doesn't go for everyone. People that order now are getting Q2 as their estimate.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just check the steam deck info page. If you're logged in, the availability date is based off when you ordered. My 512GB reservation continues to show Q1, for example. Of course, this doesn't go for everyone. People that order now are getting Q2 as their estimate.
It shows expected availability for the two models I didn't order, but for the one I did it just shows "reserved on Fri, July 16th, 2021."

I assume I got in on time for Q1 though since the 64GB model is still showing that estimate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person