Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam-Greenlight-1024x681-940x500_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpeg
Anyone who has gone to vote for games on Valve's Steam Greenlight section will know that in the last several days it has been quite difficult to sift through all of the amateurish crap, joke submissions (ha ha so funny HL3, how original you are) and titles submitted that aren't actually owned by the person submitting (example Resident Evil 4). To combat this indie developers will now have to pay $100 to submit their titles onto the Steam Greenlight service.​
To be honest, $100 isn't all that much and to me is a fantastic idea to cut all the crap out so that legit developers can have more of a chance to be seen. Oh and before you bitch and moan about Valve taking advantage of the popularity (they have every right to) every cent of that $100 will go to the Child's Play Charity.​
Bravo Valve.​

Reactions: 7 people

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like it's a good idea, but I also feel a fee half that size would've been more than sufficient. Can't really complain, though, as I'll likely never submit anything.

Reactions: 1 person

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's the cost of 2 fully priced games. If someone is really serious about getting their game on Steam I do not think that cost will deter them.

Reactions: 2 people

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good move, after all the dick submissions that have abused the service.

But there still lies the problem that people can downvote the hell out of many submissions for the fun of it, keeping it at 1% for too long.
Metacritic's PS3 games are facing a similar problem with user scores at the moment.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/ps3/metascore?view=condensed
Apparently, Russians are to blame?

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
When I saw the title of this thread I was all too ready to come here to yell and scream and shout. I was happily surprised to see that the money is all going to Child's Play. Valve, my yelling, screaming and shouting at you can wait until another day.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Good move imo, i glanced at Greenlight the other day and instanly thought "this is not going to work" but now I may actually spend some time browsing through it.

However I do reckon there may still be the occasional idiotic submission (afterall people seem to like wasting $100 on that wedding ring in TF2 just to send a stupid message to everyone currently ingame -_- )

D

Deleted-236924

Good move imo, i glanced at Greenlight the other day and instanly thought "this is not going to work" but now I may actually spend some time browsing through it.

However I do reckon there may still be the occasional idiotic submission (afterall people seem to like wasting $100 on that wedding ring in TF2 just to send a stupid message to everyone currently ingame -_- )

$100 for the ability of sending "The Game" to everyone currently online?
Seems like a good deal.

Reactions: 2 people

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems a little high to me. I mean it's no higher than some of the other dev fees out there (looking at you Microsoft and Apple), but it's a lot more than a developer account for the Android market... Personally I think that $50 would have done the same thing.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bit too steep IMHO, although it's a very cool move on their behalf to give all that money to charity. It's understandable, but 100 USD is a lot....

TBH for a quality submission, considering the amount of time and resources the dev has put into it, that's not much.

Worse comes to worse, use a Kickstarter. $100 is nothing on a Kickstarter..

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems a little high to me. I mean it's no higher than some of the other dev fees out there (looking at you Microsoft and Apple), but it's a lot more than a developer account for the Android market... Personally I think that $50 would have done the same thing.
$50 would be nothing to some "jokers". $100 would be just right.

No way that amount is steep, if someone was REALLY serious about making something they would be able to find it. Even someone unemployed on benefits could save & get that after a few months, maybe even less. Then there's the devs who have more than one person person involved.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
For those complaining about the price $100 for the opportunity to get your game on steam is absolutely nothing and this measure is obviously necessary to cut down on the trolls.

By the way, for anyone over the age of fourteen $100 really isn't that much money regardless, kthnxs.

D

Deleted_171835

Good decision considering the amount of crap that we've seen being added.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Good move, after all the dick submissions that have abused the service.

But there still lies the problem that people can downvote the hell out of many submissions for the fun of it, keeping it at 1% for too long.
Metacritic's PS3 games are facing a similar problem with user scores at the moment.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/ps3/metascore?view=condensed
Apparently, Russians are to blame?

Actually that's a misconception. Downvotes do not cancel out upvotes. Downvotes actually have no use, but to remove the game from your voting queue.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty cool idea. It'd be sweet if there was a way to pick the genre while looking at the games. Like say I just want to look at the indie rpgs. Unless there is a way and I just misses it.

Also, 100 bucks isn't a lot. I only make 13 bucks an hour and I'd say out of my paycheck, after bills and everything is paid for, I still consider 100 bucks to be small. I probably spend around 100 bucks on smokes each month and a half anyways. It really isn't a whole lot

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those complaining about the price $100 for the opportunity to get your game on steam is absolutely nothing and this measure is obviously necessary to cut down on the trolls.

By the way, for anyone over the age of fourteen $100 really isn't that much money regardless, kthnxs.
Actually, like I said, it's on par with Microsoft and Apple, but I'm over twice 14, and $100 is still not cheap. Android is cheap. At only $25 the fee has been enough to keep most jokers and spammers away. Especially since Valve isn't even trying to profit from this fee. More variety is a good thing, assuming those that are submitting are paying a fee at all, they will be more hesitant to submit crap. And few jokers would waste $50 for something that would just be removed right away anyway.

Here's an article that happens to list the costs of becoming a developer for mobile phones. (This is what I'm comparing the dev fee to).
http://www.readwrite...ndows-phone.php

Also I will admit that I haven't done my research on Greenlight here, but from what I read on the page:
Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and videos for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game as early in the development process as they like.
That would imply to me that paying the fee and submitting your game does not guarantee your game on Steam. It just gives you the opportunity to be voted on by the community. If that's the case, I stand by my statement that $50 would be enough. If $100 automatically got you on Steam, then yeah it's fair, but still not cheap.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried looking through Greenlight a while ago and couldn't figure out how to find anything in the sea of muck, so I think this is a great move.

You gotta spend money to make money. $100 isn't a lot and if your game is really Steam-worthy it shouldn't take you a lot of time to get it back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2