Valve launches Steam.TV, intends for it to compete with Twitch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 18, 2018.

Front-page
    BMDUiFm.

It seems Valve is currently working on quite a few interesting projects, lately. The most recent one of which just went into beta today, and is called Steam.TV. Currently, it can only host DOTA 2 streams, and is having connection issues, but it appears to be a service that wants to eventually compete with the streaming titan, Twitch, or, alternatively, follow the trend like YouTube Gaming had. There's chat integration, with both viewers, or limited to Steam friends only. If you check it out, you can see The International, a DOTA 2 tournament, being streamed live.

TheVinAnator likes this.
    Discussion (29 replies)
  1. supergamer368

supergamer368 yeeeeeoooowwwww

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    I can see already that this isn’t going to work out too well. Maybe Valve should stick to what they’re good at instead of trying every gaming concept under the sun.

2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Twitch is in a very strong position right now. This is just a complete waste of manpower. They'd be better off trying to replace Youtube, which is just begging to be replaced.

3. snails1221

snails1221 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    snails1221 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 10, 2015
    United States
    Anonville
    I too enjoy wasting money

RedoLane and DKB like this.
  4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Twitch has a deathgrip on the market, especially with the subs, and donations, lootboxes and prime subs, and everything, really. They also have the infrastructure to support it as well. Valve...well, hasn't always had the best servers.

Too little, too late, for Valve/Steam.

5. supergamer368

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Exactly. Watch this fade from existence in a month or less just for Valve to spend money on another ill-fated project.

6. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    What, I can't hear you over my Steam Links and Steam Machines, or the new style of Steam sales

7. supergamer368

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Don’t forget Steam controllers! The best controllers ever made!
    “Listen, we at Valve have been listening, now we’re launching SteamROMs and SteavientArt to compete with even more people”
    (and SteamHub)

8. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Fan

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    Lots of popular twitch streams no longer stream on twitch due to being banned or other stuff

Ice Poseidon is a good example

9. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    so they tried to copy discord and now twitch...who's next XD

10. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Now I can stream quality titles like Skyscraper Simulator, Airport Simulator, Agricultural Simulator 2013, and all of my favorite asset flips. Oh joy I can't wait! :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder, Aug 18, 2018
    dAVID_, elBenyo and Zense like this.
  11. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    To be fair, I did buy a Steam Link... but it was like 95% off.

Mnecraft368 and RedBlueGreen like this.
  12. supergamer368

May 22, 2016
    United States
    You know what, this makes me mad. Now I’M going to start a streaming service. It’ll be called bub.tv.... yeah, yeah I like it. The network will be down 99.9% of germs the time and the only game streamable is Bubsy 3D. I mean, It’ll work considering anybody can make a cruddy streaming service, right?

13. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    hey man I really like the steam controller, its the best controller for playing non FPS PC games on the couch and there are a lot of people out there who hold the same mindset

14. Priestiality

Priestiality GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    United States
    Man, remember when Valve made games? I miss that.

dAVID_, RedoLane and Mikemk like this.
  15. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Inb4 SteamTube, Steamit, Steam console, Hot & Steamy®, and Steam (disambiguation).

16. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Too late Valve. If you jumped in not long after Twitch originally debuted, you might have had a chance, but at this point you might as well be a new platform trying to compete with Youtube... its simply never going to compare.

17. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But does this mean we can stream the games that twitch won't allow like Yandere Simulator? :creep:

paperycandy, lytro and Mnecraft368 like this.
  18. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Or they could try something really crazy and develop games instead of making SaaMP's (Service as a Money Printer) ;)

19. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    As stupid as I think this is, I don't really get Twitch as far as actual usage. I mean going by some of the stats (average 15 million daily users, 95 minutes per user per day) and you have figures only marginally better than 60 Minutes (7.5 million viewers, obviously 60 minutes) or Big Brother (5.6 million viewers, also 60 minutes) and that's for only one country. Youtube at over 1 billion hours of video a day, around 1 billion mobile users, etc just massively eclipses it. That Google own efforts to capture the Twitch market have been pretty horrible may just be that Twitch is too niche to exert a lot of changes to accommodate it.

And I say this liking Twitch...sometimes. Poker, old TV shows, and autoplay "most popular" videos? Really? *sigh* And the actual user experience is pretty atrocious when I can't block 99% of games I have zero interest in. If someone who had the infrastructure were interested, I think it'd be pretty trivial to overcome most of what Twitch lacks and own the market mostly by just getting more users. *shrugs*