Valve has shipped over one million units of the Steam Deck as of October, 2022

During a conference made by KDE at the Akademy 2022 event, titled "Full Steam Ahead: KDE's journey on the Steam Deck", David Edmundson, KDE's spokesperson during the event, announced that the Steam Deck console by Valve has shipped over one million units as of the start of October, 2022.

KDE is a free software community that provides a variety of open source software on many Linux distributions, which the Steam Deck's operating system, SteamOS, is based on. One of these softwares is the actual desktop environment itself, Plasma, alongside other programs, tools and apps used within the very same operating system, like Dolphin (KDE's file manager), KWrite or Kate (a programming text editor), and many others.

In the event, Edmundson goes through many details of their work together with Valve, and what users can expect in the near future in terms of KDE's side of things for the Steam Deck.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
although Milliom is a drop compared to Console #s, This is Major for Linux gaming Future.Not to mention that, PC Gaming Handhelds might not end up as just a niche,Showing Developers That Small tweaks for proton can make Linux viable platform,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we make an estimate of how much money they lost only with deck sales?
didn't they say about 50-75$ but there have been several revisions since launch, so the idea is every revision would make the device cheaper.

But even if they lose money on the device, Software is king.

I have up my personal library from 500 games to about 1000... and every game sale is a extra money in Vavles pocket

Reactions: LibreNyaa

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
didn't they say about 50-75$ but there have been several revisions since launch, so the idea is every revision would make the device cheaper.

But even if they lose money on the device, Software is king.

I have up my personal library from 500 games to about 1000... and every game sale is a extra money in Vavles pocket
i'm well aware that they can sell the Deck at loss since they'll get their money back with softwares/games

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Can we make an estimate of how much money they lost only with deck sales?

Depends, I'd guess they're making most of any loses on the 64GB model whilst the 512GB model may be less of a loss, break even or even a small profit.

Using the price of the £165 Dell 512GB 2230 SSD and the £350 64GB SD = £515 vs the 512GB models £569 price, so £54 difference. Obviously there's many other factors involved e.g. the different display, economies of scale, etc. This is just to get some rough idea.

Plus they have the Dock likely making a small profit, given that many third party ones even with a charger are allot cheaper, particular right now due to BF. Just picked up one today for £23, presuming it's any good of course. I'm aware the official one may have more R&D involved though.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It won the Golden Joysticks award for best gaming hardware too.

Valve continue to set the bar too high for the rest of the gaming industry to reach. Still in awe of the fact that a $400 portable can both emulate Switch games and play PS5 ports with a locked frame rate.

Thanks for the heads up on this
Would you mind if I make a news entry about it?

Reactions: Xzi

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you who have never heard of Linux, let's tell you what a KDE is.
KDE is a free software community that provides a variety of open source software on many Linux distributions, which the Steam Deck's operating system, SteamOS, is based on. One of these softwares is the actual desktop environment itself, Plasma, alongside other programs, tools and apps used within the very same operating system, like Dolphin (KDE's file manager), KWrite or Kate (a programming text editor), and many others.
See also: GNOME, XFCE, Unity, Cinnamon, MATE, WindowMaker, Unity, Trinity, LXDE, CDE, and just... other DEs in general.

vaanen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They need oled, or at the very minimum something up to par with low end mobile phones, or at the minimum minimum the original switch screen... Even though i understand the choice they made for their first device, the deck screen is an absolute joke for 2022, specially for something that is supposed to bring high end gaming but its on a 2013 samsung s7700 screen while the completely outdated Switch received a stellar Oled screen, making it have a better experience on almost any 2d and low end games, sometimes even higher games due to how trash the deck's screen is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...