Valve buys out Firewatch development team Campo Santo

IMG_7619.PNG

Campo Santo is an independent game studio, that formed in 2013, and developed the 2016 game Firewatch. Not too long after announcing a Nintendo Switch port for their game, the company put out a press release, announcing something unexpected. Valve would be acquiring the company, including all twelve of their staff. They'll now be working for Valve, although the team will still be free to work on their upcoming game In the Valley of the Gods, which was revealed back in January. Campo Santo states that Valve will be letting them work on their own projects, while supporting them and helping them fund their games.

In Valve we found a group of folks who, to their core, feel the same way about the work that they do (this, you may be surprised to learn, doesn’t happen every day). In us, they found a group with unique experience and valuable, diverse perspectives. It quickly became an obvious match.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We've already established that Valve can't count to 3! :cry:
But, but, they can just use some 90's styled title! Half-Life: The Final Chapter the last story reloaded + Knuckles

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In Valve we found a group of folks who, to their core, feel the same way about the work that they do (this, you may be surprised to learn, doesn’t happen every day).
:arrow: Source
Oh, come on. Valve is mainly interested in making lots of money with Steam and not in game developing nowdays. There last notable game release was Dota 2, back in 2013 (The Lab is a techdemo not a game and the upcoming Artifact... A card game...)! 5 years is alot of time for such a large company to have no major game released and nothing announced. They e.g. got rid of all the important people of there Half-Life team that's telling alot about how they feel about gaming. Well, Campo Santo neither specified how they feel about making games nor what work means in this context, maybe I just misinterpret it :P

We've already established that Valve can't count to 3! :cry:
Then lets hope Campo Santo has access to this secret technology called "three" and is enthusiastic enough about it to spark interest in that mysterious and powerful technology all over Valve :rofl2:

Last edited by VitaType,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
valve please focus on shipping ganes instead of buying out tiny indie companies (sorry but i REALLY want a portal 3)
Why should they? They don't need to. In fact, any such game would be overhyped so much that the end result would most likely disappoint those who boarded the hype train, regardless of how good it is.
It's far safer to work with the titles they have and Steam.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish Valve would buy frostbite team from EA, on that game engine even HL3 would melt :)

And we would finally have crazy ass games made in it the right way where EA can't.

If EA even allowed mods hell I would love to see a realistic mod on battlefield with top performance\graphics and destructible environments, like Squad game on Steam.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...