Valve announces Steam OS, Steam Machines, and Steam Controller

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
While this is neat, I'm not seeing how it's exactly groundbreaking...

Yet another Linux distro? I mean, that's fine, but it doesn't really change too much.

Just install Steam on another Linux distro?

I'm guessing this is an OS with all the non-essential parts stripped out in favour of performance and speed for gaming.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
As long as I don't need to even go NEAR DS3tools or anything of that variety, I'm in.

In other words, SteamOS, PLEASE have PS3 controller support that doesn't suck.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm curious about the streaming, it would be really awesome if it used my gaming computer's power to do all the heavy lifting and just show it on my tv...

Now, let's hope Half-Life 3 is announced next!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
and more importantly, optimized for controllers.

Well no, that's irrelevant to the post I was responding to; Steam installed on another Linux distro would also support controllers (big picture mode).
...wait, don't most games not work on Linux that steam has?
or am I mistaken
There are a reasonable amount of Steam games available for Linux (including many of Valve's own big name games). See here: http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

On top of this, Steam OS is capable of streaming games from another PC running Steam (e.g. a Windows PC), so you can have a Windows gaming rig in one room and a cheap(ish) HTPC running Steam OS connected to your TV in another room, streaming the games (and also acting as a media centre, if you like).
I really don't think that's the case here, they'll make their whole library work when in SteamOS

Absolutely not, they can't just "make their whole library work". Valve's first party games are, in the large part, available for Linux, but there are a great deal of titles on Steam that are not available for Linux, nor is it within Valve's power to make them available. I guess there's potential for some sort of Wine-derived compatibility layer, but that's not ideal and certainly not 100% compatibility.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
cdoty and Ibnobody:

I've messed with it before but to no avail, but this time I finally got it to work with my unsupported internal Bluetooth adapter by putting my hardware id into the inf like they recommended for Motioninjoy. FINALLY. Thanks for the tip and getting me to try again, glad it finally works!

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Absolutely not, they can't just "make their whole library work". Valve's first party games are, in the large part, available for Linux, but there are a great deal of titles on Steam that are not available for Linux, nor is it within Valve's power to make them available. I guess there's potential for some sort of Wine-derived compatibility layer, but that's not ideal and certainly not 100% compatibility.

we are are talking about linux, they can bump the compatibility up to 90% if they use WINE or similar software. they already use DOSBox for the old DOS games like DooM and friends.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess there's potential for some sort of Wine-derived compatibility layer, but that's not ideal and certainly not 100% compatibility.
Damn, I was going to waltz in there and post "lol, they'll be using WINE or something", but looks like you ninja'd my thought.

Anyway, I've heard around that WINE plays most Source-games flawlessly, so I guess that if they team up with the WINE team they could shape it up in a 99% compatibility wrapper in little to no time.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess we'll have to just see what happens, then.

This doesn't really offer any new capabilities beyond what is already out there, but I guess it makes using them much easier - which I guess means more people will take advantage of it? Maybe?

Eh, who knows. I'm apparently so far out of touch with hardcore gamers now that I'm probably missing something.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive been wanting to switch to linux for a while, but gaming has been keeping me on windows. Will this be a a livingroom gaming os only, or will it be optimized for daily desktop use too?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive been wanting to switch to linux for a while, but gaming has been keeping me on windows. Will this be a a livingroom gaming os only, or will it be optimized for daily desktop use too?

I think it's designed to be pretty much "gaming only". Although Steam has started selling regular software as well, so maybe that will run on it too. Plus it's Linux underneath, so there'll probably be some way to run Linux programs, even if it's not an "official" way.

But you could dual boot it with another distro/Windows. For that matter you could dual boot Linux and Windows right now, and just reboot to Windows when you want to play games.
What do you think the PS3, Wii, and Wii U OS's are based on?

Clue: It's not Windows.
Nor is it Linux. PS3's CellOS is "believed" to be a branch of FreeBSD, but the Wii and WiiU certainly aren't based on Linux. I don't know a whole lot about the WiiU, but in terms of the Wii - it doesn't even have an OS, really.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Like SifJar said, PS3 uses a derivative from FreeBSD, which is a Unix-like system, like Linux, but no it is not Linux.

There is no real reason why Linux can't run games. Actually, Linux can run games faster than Windows, if both the distro and the game are optimized enough.

Although i believe this will be a bumpy ride, since the Linux's graphical stack has a lot of problems, and developers are reluctant to port to Linux. Although, since Android is a big thing, this is beginning to change...

Let's hope for this to succeed, this will be a BIG WIN for the consumer in the end...

Reactions: PityOnU

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2: