Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I could have sworn I made this thread already. I am remiss. I bow my head in mock contrition.
Trailers oop:

They were like "from the creator of Leon: the Professional and Fifth Element" and I was like "say no more", then they were like "...and Lucy" and I was like "I told you not to say anything more, why you go and do that man :cry: "

So anyway, looks very pretty.

Who here hype?

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Valerian is a very good French graphic novel.
When I see the actors I get a very bad feeling. It feels they are too young compared to the graphic novel.

But I am open minded and hope it is as good as The fifth element

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That first trailer might as well have been a how to on how to make a generic sci fi trailer.

The second did not do much to inspire any confidence. That said the colour correction they are going for had me intrigued.

On "and lucy" maybe that is like when you have a joke entry on a list. Alternatively it could be a warning that if you liked Lucy then this could do for you. Hopefully it will not be a stakes less maguffin hunt used to string together some action scenes, my slowly (re)growing appreciation for space films can not take another Jupiter Ascending.

Still if I am going to watch many species space thing of French origin I will see if I can find Malo Korrigan again.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I finally got around to watching it. It's an entertaining movie, the visuals are great, the movie is absolutely gorgeous. The story is nothing to write home about and is more or less an excuse to have the characters romp around colorful sets. Besson crams tons of scenes, characters and references from the comic(s) into the film at the expense of story development.
And that would be fine, the movie would still be watchable but the whole thing is really marred by the horrible casting of the twelve year old boy who plays Valerian, and the twelve year old boy who plays Laureline, and the complete lack of chemistry between the two. Especially when he tried to cram years of character moments between them into one movie / 24 hours of plot and it just doesn't work.
And looking at Clive Owen in the very same film is just rubbing salt into the wound because I kept thinking how it would have been nice if the film was made 15 years earlier and had him as Valerian and it's a damn shame. Damn shame.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it was a good movie, brought down by characterisation problems. Actually, I agree pretty much with Veho.
Actually I would be glad to see a second part, perhaps the MC grow up and learn to perform better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1