v1.4, A-data, and Enhanced mode

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by skagamer, Jun 20, 2008.

Jun 20, 2008
  1. skagamer
    OP

Member skagamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Has anybody noticed changes in the time it takes to load the enhanced mode screen with the A-Data 4GB Class 6? I was hoping to hear that the cards were functioning as they used to before ordering one.

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    This has been a problem for a long time. TC will try to fix it.

3. skagamer
    OP

United States
    There was some speculation that v1.4 would carry the fix. Just wondering if that was the case or not.

4. vboy

Newcomer vboy Member

Australia
    I just tried booting enhanced mode with a Kingston 2GB and an A-data 4GB. The Kingston was slightly faster but the wait for the A-data was by no means intolerable. I'd say it took about 1-1.5s longer.

5. skagamer
    OP

United States
    That sounds promising. People were stating times of 7-8 seconds before.

6. vboy

Newcomer vboy Member

Australia
    To be a bit more accurate. Using Castelvania Portrait of Ruin, booting enhanced mode with the Kingston took 1s and the A-data took 2s. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Dsparil

Newcomer Dsparil Member

United States

I read on the forums from the CycloDS Wiki maintainer that if you format your A-Data to FAT 16 with 64k clusters, you will not experience this lag.

8. Scytheandsickle

Member Scytheandsickle GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    How do you define the clusters when formatting it?

9. shane1972

Member shane1972 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ive Got an a data class 6 and it works fine.
    I had a Kingston and it took about 6-8 seconds.

Cheers

10. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Maximum allocation size for FAT16 formatted partitions is 2GB. FAT16 won't work with the 4GB Adata. FAT32 with 64K Clusters however, will work.

Also, that wait time for the enhanced menu loading up depends entirely on the microSD and which Actel chip is in your CycloDS. There's 3 possible chips in the hardware 1.1 cycloDS Evolutions. I'm not sure about the latest one, the one where you can't downgrade firmware. They might've changed the chip completely. I'd link to the forum thread but the site is down. [​IMG]

Actually, i'm not really that sure whether different chips cause different loading/response times, it's the only logical explanation though. Until we get an official announcement from TC at least.

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    That isn't true, max allocation size for FAT aka FAT 16 is 4GB. As proof I have formatted my 4GB Kingston (Taiwan) to FAT 16 64K clusters. For some reason I was unable to format any memorycards bigger than 2GB to FAT in Windows XP, but Windows Vista allowed me to format it into FAT 16.

12. raptor5001

Newcomer raptor5001 Member

United States
    Initially FAT16 had a max of 2GB, but Microsoft increased the max cluster size for it to 64K, which makes it a variant of the official FAT16, technically. But using a 64K cluster size leaves you vulnerable to accumulating slack space. Maybe it's not a huge deal for you.. :shrug:

13. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is good to hear. I'm just about to order a 4gb class 6 A-Data. So if the wait time really is only a couple seconds, then that is extremely tolerable. If the wait time is somewhere around 7-8 seconds though, then I won't put up with that. I'll just use the SCDS1 until TC gets(if) this situation fixed.

Thanks for the info.