Hacking (v)Wii homebrew channel open sourced

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
can we boot from haxxi to vwii? vwiilauncher have a title id too?
its like a forwarder to vwii
can fix this the vwii problem in rednand

Last edited by loler55,

plyscho

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So we still need the old one installed to use this one? The only reason to keep the old one is just to install the new one, but I don't know how this work...
You should be able to install this with any WAD installer, with or without an old version of HBC.

You can use any of the known exploits to start a WAD installer instead of the HackMii installer, of course you will lack BootMii in that case. (Does BootMii do anything on vWii? Does it even work on vWii?)

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
You should be able to install this with any WAD installer, with or without an old version of HBC.

You can use any of the known exploits to start a WAD installer instead of the HackMii installer, of course you will lack BootMii in that case. (Does BootMii do anything on vWii? Does it even work on vWii?)
But can we delete the old HBC after the new wad is installed?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Marcan fixed the TMD, so that the channel now uses IOS 58 again. Compiled version is attached.

But can we delete the old HBC after the new wad is installed?
I want to confirm this too. I don't mind using the original installer and then update with the new WAD, but what i would like to do is to delete the oldest one, no point in having 2 channels doing the same.

Last question, can i use the same WAD for Wii and vWii?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I want to confirm this too. I don't mind using the original installer and then update with the new WAD, but what i would like to do is to delete the oldest one, no point in having 2 channels doing the same.

Last question, can i use the same WAD for Wii and vWii?
Already installed the HBC wad on vWii and the old one is not needed, you can delete it afterwards. Not sure if it works on original Wii though.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Already installed the HBC wad on vWii and the old one is not needed, you can delete it afterwards. Not sure if it works on original Wii though.
Cool. I took the plunge and installed it on my Wii, replacing the original, so i can autoboot it with Priiloader. No problems at all.

The only detail is that some homebrews hang when going back to loader. They might need to be updated for the new channel, i assume.

plyscho

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope and the installation of it is blocked as well.
In that case, there should be no reason for using the HackMii installer on vWii, unless someone intends to use BootMii installed in IOS254. But I doubt there is much use for it, since Priiloader also can't be installed on vWii.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. I took the plunge and installed it on my Wii, replacing the original, so i can autoboot it with Priiloader. No problems at all.

The only detail is that some homebrews hang when going back to loader. They might need to be updated for the new channel, i assume.

Couldn't the HBC source code be changed so that it has the same ID as the previous version? This way, an installation of the HBC wad would overwrite the older version. It would also mean that older homebrew wouldn't crash when it exits to the HBC

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Couldn't the HBC source code be changed so that it has the same ID as the previous version? This way, an installation of the HBC wad would overwrite the older version. It would also mean that older homebrew wouldn't crash when it exits to the HBC
Yes, it can be changed, though i don't have the means to do so. I had the same predicament since as i mentioned, i autoboot directly to HBC right from the console start (and the new ID would have to be integrated to Priiloader for this to work), but i made a quick workaround: changed the ID of the WAD before installing, from OHBC to LULZ. The install went fine and overwrote 1.1.2.

I'll still have to go back to 1.1.2 because of the little inconvenience previously stated (some apps hang when going back to HBC, e.g. Nintendont), but it definitely works fine for me.

Last edited by niuus,

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it can be changed, though i don't have the means to do so. I had the same predicament since as i mentioned, i autoboot directly to HBC right from the console start (and the new ID would have to be integrated to Priiloader for this to work), but i made a quick workaround: changed the ID of the WAD before installing, from OHBC to LULZ. The install went fine and overwrote 1.1.2.

I'll still have to go back to 1.1.2 because of the little inconvenience previously stated (some apps hang when going back to HBC, e.g. Nintendont), but it definitely works fine for me.

Returning to HBC would've been broken for apps that did the wrong thing (you're supposed to jump to 0x80001800, which is what libogc does when you return from main(), not hardcode any ID, so it works with everything). By changing the ID of the WAD, you've broken things for all the apps that do the right thing, because now HBC doesn't know its own title ID and can't set up the reload stub properly.

If you want to change the title ID, you need to change tmd.template, cetk.template, and config.h.

plyscho

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The best solution about this would be an invisible channel forwarder from LULZ to OHBC, imo. But I also don't mind too much about having two HBC installed (1.1.2 + forwarder or 1.1.2 + 1.1.3).

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Returning to HBC would've been broken for apps that did the wrong thing (you're supposed to jump to 0x80001800, which is what libogc does when you return from main(), not hardcode any ID, so it works with everything). By changing the ID of the WAD, you've broken things for all the apps that do the right thing, because now HBC doesn't know its own title ID and can't set up the reload stub properly.

If you want to change the title ID, you need to change tmd.template, cetk.template, and config.h.
Don't worry, i only did it to test (which luckily, i did) it is not a complain. I can't compile right now as i don't have the full knowledge to do so, i have been having trouble compiling Askot's Snes9xGX GIT myself, just to name a case. I DO like this new release and everything that implies, even if i can't use it right now. So, kudos for the great work done and the permanent preservation of this irreplaceable piece of Wii software.

Thanks for the pointers, BTW. Helps a lot.

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cou

Hi Marcan,
Could you please compile the above mentioned so that the new HC 1.1.3 replaces the old one (vWii)?

Thank you
Pepois

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Cou

Hi Marcan,
Could you please compile the above mentioned so that the new HC 1.1.3 replaces the old one (vWii)?

Thank you
Pepois
AFAIK, you wouldn't benefit from the Widescreen fix because you'd continue to use the old ID.

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
AFAIK, you wouldn't benefit from the Widescreen fix because you'd continue to use the old ID.
Good point Niuus, however, I did install the new one and changed the title ID as you did and it did work but as you mentioned after replacing the 1.1.2 hbc with 1.1.3 and launched hb apps wont go back to hbc instead you get a black screen etc... so maybe there could be a workaround. I did rename many wiiware titles before due to the same widescreen issue etc. but perhaps something could be done here?

Warm regards
Pepois

Last edited by Pepois,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol