FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was not quite sure at first if this would even deserve a thread but since this is a first I guess it does.
Both Wii (and vWii) have the ability to send DS Demo ROMs via the "Download Play" feature, it was not used a whole lot and since the Nintendo Channel is long shut down it was pretty much lost. Thanks to the recent release of HaxxStation I realized that and sat down, looking at how the protocol and all worked and wrote my own homebrew program implementing that feature:
https://github.com/FIX94/wii-ds-rom-sender
If you have a Wii or WiiU you can use this program to send over DS ROMs to your 3DS, DSi or DS/DS Lite, if you use HaxxStation or if you have a DS/DS Lite with FlashMe installed you can even send unsigned homebrew ROMs to that!
To make use of HaxxStation, get the US version of "DS Download Station - Volume 1" renamed to "haxxstation.nds" on the root of your sd card.
The haxxstation file should have this hash:
MD5: efd2c0be4f95deec5053e6050162535b
SHA-1: f18b55f3e1259c03e10d0ecb549693b42905ceb5
CRC32: f067d060
All you have to do is put your .nds/.srl/.nes/.gb/.gbc files into a "srl" folder on your sd card, get the current version of this program from the "releases" tab and start it via the homebrew channel.
After it loaded up just select the file you want, download it on your DS and play it!
If you happen to have trouble getting the file sent over then change the delay timing to a higher value.
Note that .nes files are emulated using nesDS and .gb/.gbc files are emulated using GameYob, both are already built in the app so you dont have to add them yourself.
Obviously both nesDS and GameYob cant save so you have to play through in one try ;)
Anyways, maybe somebody finds this interesting.

Last edited by FIX94,

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This looks awesome, and I would love to try it, but FlashMe is way to hard to setup due to PassMe devices being hard to find.

EDIT: Didnt see that you could send demos without FlashMe.

Last edited by MrCatFace,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ds homebrew through ds download play, Sounds nice, adding on to the wii u NDS rom injection makes it more satisfying. But I dunno anything about it, if this would remove the need of flashcarts, I'm all for it but i doubt that is the case. So far i doubt there is free way to get permernant patch homebrew running on DSI sd card without second tools, but I'll wait and see. That also be nice for DS lite but again without secondary tools.:unsure:

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it work (or could it be made to work) for distributing the kiosk pokemon?
Once unsigned Homebrew distribution is implemented, yes. We could use HaxxStation to convert one of the Pokemon Distribution ROM's, send it to one DS from the Wii, and receive it on a second DS with the game.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. I wonder if it would be possible host an exploit on WiiU to a 3DS that is using the DS Download Play feature.
The 3DS in TWL_FIRM mode is exactly like a DSi, and the Wii U in vWii is (IOS differences aside - yes smartaleck that includes no GCN backwards compatibilty) exactly like a Wii. And the DSi in Nitro mode can do anything an original model DS can, except accept firmware patches made for the DS.
So yes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s