Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Director Uwe Boll is "on a mission" to recoup the money he believes he's lost as a result of illegal file sharing of his film Far Cry. Could you be next?

Through a law firm called Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, Boll has filed a federal lawsuit against 4,577 "John Does" in a DC court -- all of whom were accused of sharing Far Cry, the helmer's adaptation of the videogame of the same name.

According to Ars Technica, this seems to be an "entrepreneurial model for P2P copyright lawsuits [where] the goal appears to be monetizing infringement, and the cases are brought by a law firm that is actively recruiting clients." The firm also has repped indie filmmakers such as those behind Call of the Wild and The Hurt Locker.

Take the case of an anonymous woman (dubbed "Sabine" in the article). Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver recently sent her a letter saying that she had been ID'd as someone who had swapped Far Cry on peer-to-peer (P2P) networks back in March. She was told that she could pay $1,500 by early June and they'd call it even -- or $2,500 if she went past the cut-off date. If she didn't pay at all, the firm could take her to court where she might wind up owing as much as $150,000.

"No one in my household has ever heard of Far Cry," she says.

Sabine's situation hasn't been resolved yet, and as Ars Technica points out, it's unclear how many of the people in her situation will actually be taken to court since it seems as though this is more about trying to make a buck off of these folks than actually litigating… though Uwe does like a good fight, eh?

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/109/1093549p1.html

I'd really doubt that any one of those 4,577 people would have paid money for this film, the only reason they'd grab it would to see how bad it was. That is all.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be ticked too if I was a horrible director who made shit movies and never got paid for the crappy movies I made since people downloaded them...he's one of the worst directors of all time IIRC.

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's a Far Cry movie?
unsure.gif

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If these people distribute to one another...then they shouldn't need to get charged so much, assuming they're going to sue nearly 5,000 people. That's like $1,500 per person. Multiply by 4,577. (Calculator cheat - $6,865,500).

That and what if..considering how easy it is to change or even proxy an IP address, what if she ended up with an IP that was used for torrenting? You know, IP bans, MMORPGs, bypassing. Torrent anonymously, etc. There's not much to say. If innocent people can be jailed for years, the same can be applied to this.

The proper value..of let's say, $11.50 per ticket. (Assuming all adults) - $52,635.50. That's how much he'd be losing. If you're going to sue someone...use some more realistic number.

I'd laugh if people pirated his movie on accident expecting the game instead. What if that was part of the case?
mellow.gif

Blackiris

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This looked interesting until I realized the first two words of the thread were "Uwe Boll".
rofl2.gif

Kidding. But I still think most all his movies are bad. I wonder why there aren't many good/great video game movies done by better directors, seeing that the Street Fighter Legacy trailers were looking decent to me.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People even go through the time to pirate his films. He should be flattered people honestly go through that time just to watch them in the end.
Hell it's pretty much the only views he's ever going to get.

Well unless the movie is Postal, I went out and bought that one because it was surprisingly good for an Uwe Boll movie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts