USPS bites

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is the United States Postal Service so crappy?

I sell my college textbooks on half.com and today is the second buyer that has e-mailed and said they package arrived with nothing in it and a note from the post office saying the contents were lost during transit. Goody, now I don't have the $69.00 I would have gotten for the book and I don't have the book either. The first one was also a $60 book as well. Love how the $10 books always make it okay.

Oh, and then there was the time that we didn't receive any mail for a week. We finally called the post office and they said they'd look into it. The next day, both of our amazon packages arrived, all 3 of my netflix movies, and a sack filled with a crap load of mail. I still wanna know where this was all at.

We're expected to die for our country, but they can't get our mail delivered?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I mail out an average of 5-10 books a day, and I've been doing so for years. I've never had the USPS lose the book out of the package.

It sounds like your local post office sucks. The USPS definitely isn't like that everywhere.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How the heck does the package arrive but not the contents?

Definitely sounds like somebody scammed you, unless you didn't seal the package very well??

I've only had one instance where something I ordered didn't show, seller claimed the mail must have lost it. Funny though how he was no longer a registered person at ebay not long after.

Magus19

Trophies
Website
rotdteam.sourceforge.net
XP
Country
Canada
I hate UPS and kind of wish they go to hell. They always seem to steal money from me. Like I pay fucking 15 bucks for the UPS shipping, and they manage to charge 20-30 more on delevery, wtf, they say it's the customs fees but with USPS or other shipping companies I don't get that problem. Maybe when it's stay in the US there not that bad but they try to steal us canadians.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I love UPS and FedEx where I'm at. The delivery guys already know me and know that if I'm not at home they can find me at my office. They even call me sometimes to ask where I'm at so they can get the package to me.

The local USPS post office however is a pain in the ass.
  • They never have all the mail out by noon, so if I get a package on a weekday, I won't get it when I check at noon (lunch break), and they're closed by 4:30 which is when I get out of work. So I'm forced to wait til the next day to pick up my package.
  • The on Saturday's they close at 11:30 am, before all the mail is out. So again, if I get a package, I have to wait til Monday to pick it up.
  • They cram my gamefly envelopes into my box, tearing them 90% of the time. So I have to tape them back up again.
  • We have a local Alco (kinda like a mini-Walmart or a large Family Dollar) and stick those mini-catalog/flyer thingies made of cheap paper in everyone's box. Bear in mind, these are po boxes, the only people that have access to them is the post office and the box owners. So I'm wondering if Alco just pays them to spam our boxes. We get 2 or 3 of the damn things a week.
  • I've told them numerous times that my primary box number is mine and not my parent's and yet they still stick some of my stuff in my parent's box (despite it having my box number).
  • They send back mail that has no box number on it, because looking up the box number to the name on the package must be oh-so inconvenient. When I ordered my R4, GamerSection said they were shipping by FedEx, then shipped by Canadian Post -> USPS, so I knew that the box number wouldn't be on the package since the site wouldn't let me put one. So I got up early on Saturday morning and went to the post office right when it opened. Luckily, the only sensible employee there was working and she was able to find my package. She told me that her supervisor would have sent the package back immediately if she had gotten to it first.
  • And then, one of my friends, a teacher that had lived here for a year to teach, told me about how she would receive mail from her mother that had been opened and poorly resealed, and the money that was inside the envelope would be gone. Her mother had to find other ways to get her the money.
Despite constant complaints from me, my friends, my family, and others that I know, for the past 10 years that I've lived here, no one at the head offices in the big cities have done anything. We still have the same bitch of a postmaster.

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the postal service in the UK is very good imo

even though they are supposed to be on strike today i still got my mp3 player i ordered from fleabay
smile.gif

yus786

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with USPS here. It's UPS that bothers me. We tend to get packages with the Ace Ventura treatment on them.....boxes all beat up and smashed.

Fed-Ex is the best for us.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
They have this thing they sell. I think they call it insurance. They'll give you money for lost/damaged items.
Hm, so I give them money, they loose my package, I get money back. At the end, I'm still missing a package.

You shouldn't have to pay for it when they shouldn't be losing/damaging items in the first place.

It's like paying McDonald's extra money for your food so you have insurance in case they accidentally poison your food.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I'm getting scammed. The first buyer even sent the remains back to me. The package was half there in a bag with a note from USPS that the contents were lost. And it was the same note that I had received the time they managed to deliver one of my Netflix movies as a bag of pixie dust.

And I shouldn't have to pay an extra fee incase they lose my package. They should just deliver the blasted thing. If they just took responsibility for our packages, I bet they would be a whole lot more careful with them.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats why there's "insurance". Its kinda like they say "we might be able to deliver it safely" when you pay for standard shipping. IMO is really stupid. Who would pay to take a chance to have their package delivered? Your paying to get it there, now get it there!

Same thing happens here, I still havent received some parts from a bicycle company... And there was that one time that the mail guy "accidentally" dropped my package on the street. Good thing someone was nice enough to see it, and deliver it to my house...

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, UPS service is slightly more expensive than USPS but they also include insurance for up to $X,000 (Google knows) and a tracking number with every delivery. I always use UPS, just to be on the safe side.
wink.gif

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
UPS includes insurance to $100 I believe. USPS is cheaper. You get what you pay for. When you're buying/selling with strangers on the internet, you really should cover all the bases. Insurance (cover the items value), delivery confirmation (only says they delivered it to some door), signature required (for more valuable packages, I do it). All totaled, it's still a very reasonable price...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1