USN Standards

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by Foxi4, Apr 17, 2013.

Apr 17, 2013

USN Standards by Foxi4 at 8:30 PM (687 Views / 1 Likes) 22 replies

1. Foxi4
    OP

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    [​IMG]
    Okay, this is beyond silly. We have *four* USN threads about *one* Nintendo Direct. I get it that everyone's excited about the announced games - hell, that Yoshi's Island sequel and the new Zelda look pretty sweet, but c'mon, why wasn't this posted in one thread? *sighs*

Tom Bombadildo likes this.

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I suggest we ban all talk about Nintendo and their products to rectify the situation.

Rydian likes this.
  3. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    That's going from one extreme to the other, but the way I see it, all this could've been contained in one thread about Nintendo Direct and bam! Less clutter.

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    The USN has standards?
    :unsure:

Castiel likes this.
  5. emigre

United Kingdom
    What cannae say? I'm a man of extremes.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I think the worst part is 3 of those threads are from the same person. Perhaps if they were posted by different people, then yeah I'd understand, but the same person posting 3 different threads? Absolutely retarded.

7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    All that fanboy spunk can't fit into a single thread.

It's annoying, sure, but far more sanitary.

8. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    THIS is all it took to make the all the information easy to read without cluttering the News section. One simple post with spoilers.

9. emigre

United Kingdom
    Ah DS-Scene, where the GBAtemp rejects fuck off to die.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I do not know- I have merged threads on plenty of occasions and though I would not split a single thread apart here I am not inclined to merge them either; though it is a case of Nintendo giving their old toys a lick of paint and giving them to the poor neighbourhood urchins the games are different enough with a different enough fanbase* to warrant their own threads.

*quiet in the back.

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I prefer separate threads for separate games, because they'll make separate topics of discussion.

12. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    The subject at hand was Nintendo Direct though, so the games should have their threads in the Games section, if anywhere. All of the games were announced on the same event so a joined thread only makes sense.

Remember PS4's presentation back in February? It's the equivalent of making a separate thread for every game announced there and one extra thread for the console itself. Did that happen? No, because it's silly. :P

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I don't think so. People want to discuss the different games and this will create multiple topics of discussion for each one. If it's all in one thread, that shit gets really messy.

Look at the discussions in the Yoshi's Island and Zelda LTTP2 threads already. If they were in one thread it'd be harder for people to keep track of what's going on in the conversation.

chavosaur and soulx like this.
  14. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    I edited my post before you replied because I'm sleepy and writing derpy stuff. :P The whole "News" part today was the presentation - the specific games can have their threads in the 3DS/WiiU Games and Content section wheras the "News" post should be about the presentation proper... but hey - different tastes, different approaches. From what I'm seeing though, no news website did separate posts for all the games, just one joined article.

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    "no news website did separate posts for all the games"
    No other news site made the effort you mean.

16. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    The way I see it, it's just clutter control, but okay guys. I just wanted to say that I'm displeased with this turn of events as I don't quite understand the approach. To me, as I said a few times, the "News Proper" was the presentation and as such, a presentation thread could have a nice summary of all the presented content - instead we have a, in my opinion, clusterf*ck of threads. None of the threads actually say what was presented, they focus on separate games and content and there's no clear image of the presentation itself.

EDIT: Well, techically we do have a dedicated thread, it's just not in the News section, but whatever. :P

17. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sorry that was supposed to be tongue in cheek, smilies might have been good for something on the internet after all.... who knew?

Ignoring the budding flamewars or similar such things in them they seem to be sustaining a conversation of their own which, despite there being no real qualifier for USN in that regard, would seem to indicate it not necessarily being a bad idea. Equally following the E3 type announcement threads and the melange they usually become (this is probably more than most single e3 company conferences pull off) I would hold more to it.

As for the threads in the USN and threads in the relevant sections we do try to maintain just the single one in the forum and will lock/merge, redirect, maybe move across sections as time flows on and otherwise shuffle things to hopefully see the fewest places of discussion per game when it comes to franchises as notable as these. Normally we do try to keep things together as Nintendo directs are such nonevents usually but again Zelda, mother, mario party and yoshi's island...

18. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    I was merely expressing my point of view, the staff will do as it pleases. ;) It is the EoF after all, I'm not dead-serious here, just annoyed with what I consider mess. :P

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
  20. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then - to me, Games and Content belong in the Games and Content section for their consoles and actual news, meaning the presentation which was about all those games should be in the USN. Now, if they were separate announcements, sure - they weren't though, it was one collective announcement.