USN clean-up?

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i check the user submitted news daily and more and more I see topics like this pop up

http://gbatemp.net/t295383-woman-cuts-of-attacker-s-penis
http://gbatemp.net/t295385-outbreak-is-new...-coli-bacterium
http://gbatemp.net/t295362-russian-who-bur...dies-by-mistake
http://gbatemp.net/t295215-thieves-selling...aling-them-back
http://gbatemp.net/t295503-barcelona-signs...digy-to-academy

so yeah, topic that have NOTHING to do with anything related to tech news.
I think those kind of topics shouldn't be allowed, they just litter the USN.

today there were also way too many seperate topics in the USN. yesterday night i read the last topic at 11.30 PM local time, and now 12 hours later there were like 25 new topics! 15 of them were like this:

Silent Hill: Downpour - E3 2011 Trailer
Batman Arkham City E3 2011 Catwoman Reveal Trailer

ah come on, just put all those trailers in 1 post to try to make it clear.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with all those trailers being posted, but as for the other news, everything doesn't have to be tech related.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Ideas such as splitting the USN into separate sections has and is being discussed, but the fact is that the forum is called User Submitted News, not User Submitted Tech News or anything of the like. I personally don't like seeing the USN forum cluttered up by non-tech or gaming related news, I come to GBAtemp because it's a gaming community, not a worldwide daily news community. I don't see it as a bad point that we have threads for different news, but I think it would be better if we just kept them in their own places, so if people want to look at gaming news, they don't have to dig through a dozen threads to find a piece of news related to gaming.

Regarding Rockstar's sudden urge to post a couple dozen videos in the USN, I don't think putting them all into one singular topic would be the best idea, as their would be too many different conversations going on at once. I've asked if it would be possible to just move them into the GBAtemp TV forum as they are all correctly formatted but no news on that yet.
tongue.gif

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
The problem with one big thread is that there will be too many conversations trying to happen at once. If there was one big thread it would be closed with links to a discussion page for each video.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Satangel said:
I agree 100% on all the points you propose Zalda. No more non-tech news and less topics in the USN (but with the same info, merged into one topic)
USN =/= Front page.

Although I agree it gets sometimes a bit crowded, I dont think any changes are necessary.
No one is forcing you to read something that doesnt interest you? You can read the title of each USN topic to know what its about. No need to click and read further?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tanveer said:
Satangel said:
I agree 100% on all the points you propose Zalda. No more non-tech news and less topics in the USN (but with the same info, merged into one topic)
USN =/= Front page.

Although I agree it gets sometimes a bit crowded, I dont think any changes are necessary.
No one is forcing you to read something that doesnt interest you? You can read the title of each USN topic to know what its about. No need to click and read further?

Every day that I first visit GBAtemp I check the Latest Discussions menu on the left and I visit Posts, News and Blogs. If there are over 10 new topics in there I can't see the last news of the previous day! That way I don't know if I've seen every topic or not. Then I have to go to the USN and check it there, but that's not how it should be. It could be way faster if useless and trivial news is filtered out.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Satangel said:
Tanveer said:
Satangel said:
USN =/= Front page.

Every day that I first visit GBAtemp I check the Latest Discussions menu on the left and I visit Posts, News and Blogs. If there are over 10 new topics in there I can't see the last news of the previous day! That way I don't know if I've seen every topic or not. Then I have to go to the USN and check it there, but that's not how it should be. It could be way faster if useless and trivial news is filtered out.
#firstworldproblems

A few clicks isn't that hard. Maybe it's just been a good news day, it is near e3 after all.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Zalda said:
but their hilarious to post in!
smileipb2.png

and as for all the trailer posts get used to it cos it's E3 week.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
prowler_ said:
Satangel said:
Tanveer said:
Satangel said:
USN =/= Front page.

#firstworldproblems

A few clicks isn't that hard. Maybe it's just been a good news day, it is near e3 after all.

It could be developed better, why isn't it developed better? I don't give a flying fuck about those 'news' items, I don't want to see them pop up in the Latest Discussions.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really, just because this is a gaming community, we aren't allowed to post news that doesn't relate to gaming?

Wow.

Saying we aren't allowed to talk about News that isn't related to gaming isolates people. Some people come here and don't even play DS games or any Nintendo games, yet this is basically a pro-nintendo site. And because this is basically a gaming site, you might as well get rid of the TV/Books/Music/Movies section, the EoF, the Off-Topic, all the gaming sections except for Nintendo stuff.

Some people just come here for the community because a lot of the users are dope. (I say a lot and not all, because some actual retards). I say keep it the way it is, otherwise some members will leave because they have no place or reason to be here any more.

QUOTE said:
I don't give a flying fuck about those 'news' items, I don't want to see them pop up in the Latest Discussions.

Well some people do. Get over it.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Satangel said:
prowler_ said:
Satangel said:
Tanveer said:
Satangel said:
USN =/= Front page.

#firstworldproblems

It could be developed better, why isn't it developed better? I don't give a flying fuck about those 'news' items, I don't want to see them pop up in the Latest Discussions.

Too bad this is a community, not a one man thing. Like I said, every topic has a so called "title", if the title of the topic doesnt appeal you, move the fuck on. Dont need to click on it or read.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, just because it's a gaming website doesn't mean USN has to be all about games. USN is where users submit news of all kinds. Shit, game related news doesn't happen everyday, but other stuff around the world does.

Here's a suggestion. Why not put a radio button selection that will alert the board to what type of news it is. Say:

• 3DS
  • Wii
  • DS
  • Retro
  • XBox360
  • PS3
  • World News
  • Rumor
  • Sale
  • ETC

If the news is a Game type of news, then it will be on the first page que for longer before being bumped down, or until a few more topics get posted. If it's a rumor or world news type thing, then they appear below the game news by default. Think of it like a sorting system that tells the USN that this news is lower/higher priority. After a certain amount of new game news then the last one in the que will be bumped down into the changing que. Say half the first page is reserved for game news, and then the rest are fair game for the world news to pop up.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
like luke said there's been many STAFF discussions about this section.
while some staffers dont like to see non-gaming/non-tech related news here, the general consensus is that:
- those threads should be allowed and should stay here
- many of us (eg. me) are interested in reading and discussing world news with fellow tempers
- those who aren't interested in those threads just ignore them.
- there is no need to make separate sections at least for the time being.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about E3? Maybe just have a new section for E3 so the USN doesn't get cluttered? At least just as long as E3 is around. That way it cleans it up a bit, and doesn't cancel out the world news.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally love the world news. I find stories here that I wouldn't find on my own, many of which are funny, weird, or may touch on other parts and subjects of life. It's fantastic to discuss it, and I don't feel it would be wise in anyway to disregard everything outside of the world of gaming. Unless you want the off-topic to be consistently cluttering up the main, non-news post feed with the world news that some want to omit.

As long as Costello is cool with it and the general consensus among the staff members doesn't change though, there shouldn't be any issues.

If this place was only gaming news, I would most likely post far less and be less active than I am.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse