Using Wii on PC Monitor

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by GameDragon, Mar 12, 2007.

Mar 12, 2007

Using Wii on PC Monitor by GameDragon at 1:40 AM (4,445 Views / 0 Likes) 36 replies

1. GameDragon
    OP

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    I need a little assistance. Simply put, how would I go about playing my Wii on my PC? I figured it would look a lot better playing it on an wide screen monitor than on my standard TV. My monitor does not have ports for Composite or S-Video, so what would I need to purchase in order to do this?

I would also like to know if I could use a Component cable for 480p(I was thinking about purchasing one if it was possible).
    Can anyone recommend what I should buy to do this? If possible, I would like something cheap and easy to obtain, but not low quality (Bah, Im on a budget [​IMG] ).

Now... who thinks they can help?

2. F-Ray

Newcomer F-Ray Member

Sweden
  3. friedchicken

Member friedchicken GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i suggest you get a video capture card so you can wii and use computer at the same time. if you're on budget, do F-ray recommendation or get something similar that sells in US.

maybe this: http://sewelldirect.com/MayFlash-YPbPr-to-RGBHV-VGA-Box.asp

It will look better on your monitor but you will also see flaws ingame you cant see on your sdtv.

4. GameDragon
    OP

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Thank you F-Ray, I'll look into this. I don't have a Paypal account so I can't get it from eBay plus I currently don't have the money, I won't get it until the 25th, which is after the bidding is over sadly.

What kind of 'flaws' are we talking about?

5. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Those component-to-VGA transcoders had lousy quality, the last time I had any experience with them. I think your picture will probably look better in 480i on your standard television.

If you just want to get the signal to your PC (and be able to record gameplay also), you could always play around with a cheapie capture device; I've used the Adaptec Gamebridge which I picked up for $10, it works well with no lag.

6. Tenkawa10

Newcomer Tenkawa10 Newbie

United States
    I would use something like this.

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/accessori...ionn5/index.htm

I have this and it served me very well until I got my HDTV. The picture quality when used on an LCD monitor is about the same and can be had for $60-$80 on ebay. The N4 version is also viable and cheaper option but it looks like you lose out on component hook ups so that is up to you.

7. Phrostay

Newcomer Phrostay Advanced Member

Australia
    I ordered a vdigi cable and it works fine with my PAL aussie wii and my 20" samsung SyncMaster 206bw. However I wasn't blown away by the picture quality? is this something to do with the vdigi cable and my monitor having a crappy upscaller or the cable being crap at transcoding? sure beats using the AV cable and plugging it into my EyeTV tho.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    VGA boxes work OK for me and they have come along over the last couple of years, Scorpei did a whole topic/review on them a few months back which may be good.

9. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You have a few options. Do you mind if the wii is connected to your pc? If not, you can buy a card that'll give you video inputs. If you get one that allows component inputs, you can get 480p, which is a lot better than 480i. The difference between 480i and 480p is a whole great deal bigger than the difference from 480p to 720p/1080i in my opinion.

You could also buy a box that'll allow you to take input and output to a format you can hook up to your monitor. This varies greatly in price depending on what you want. I bought a box on sale for $20 last year that supports ant/catv via coax as well as composite and svideo, and outputs via dsub (analog).

To get a unit that supports component is a bit more expensive. But if you're looking at this method (which would allow you 480p), most units can output via dsub or dvi.

Too bad the wii didn't support hdmi. That way you could get an adapter for hdmi to dvi for real cheap. And as long as there's no encryption, you don't need a monitor that supports hdcp

10. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    We'll have a GBAtemp review of the V-Digi cable up fairly soon [​IMG]

11. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    Nice. I was in doubt of choosing that one or the X2VGA2, and eventually I chose the X2VGA2. It does what it's supposed to do very well, but I discovered that PAL Wii's can't play PAL GameCube games in 480p, so I can't play my GC games T_T

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. unr

Member unr GBAtemp Regular

Lithuania
    I've discovered gamebridge yesterday and ordered one from ebay for mere 10$. Hopefully I will finally be able to play wii and 360 on laptop screen [​IMG]
    Some people report lag and blurry image while others have no complaints at all. Seems to be software's fault. Anybody here had any experience with gamebridge? How is it?

13. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    jelbo: that looks pretty darn awesome!

what monitor do you have there?

14. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    I've got a 22" HP w2207, with 1 DVI and 1 VGA connector. It's glossy, as you can see my room's window in 2 shots.

15. Phrostay

Newcomer Phrostay Advanced Member

Australia
    Just FYI I ordered my vdigi cable and they confirmed the order the same day. Cable arrived in my GPO box in about eight working days and that's all the way from China to Australia which I thought was a fairly speedy delivery. The cable feels very sturdy like it's made out of rubber or something?

16. James B.

Member James B. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So what kind of converters are you guys using to get sound? I heard you had to buy an RCA to 2.5mm and then a dual female 2.5 to plug into any speakers / headphones.

17. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
  18. James B.

Member James B. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok, well my graphics card has an S-Video port... does that mean I could plug it in there... Probably not, just worth asking.

19. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    Could you post some photo's of the image quality?

20. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    You could use a KVM Switch, I know a guy who uses his 360 with his monitor using one.