Hacking Using Waninkoko's USB Loader 1.5 with a 1 TB WD External HDD

JonLeung

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had updated my Wii to v4.0 (the official way) recently, though I had the Homebrew Channel installed before that. I didn't play with custom IOSes or WAD files prior to the update, so I thought I was hooped as it is often said that I should have before updating to 4.0 to keep that functionality. Luckily, this somehow worked for me:
http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70

Then, as you can guess from the topic title, I managed to get install the cIOS and get Waninkoko's USB Loader running (v1.5, IIRC...I'm away from my Wii at the moment), and I'm using a 1 TB WD external hard drive ("My Book") that I bought today. I had another loader earlier, but it said something about a "memory alloc" error, but I remembered reading about Waninkoko's being able to handle more than 512 GB so I switched to his.

But now I seem to have read that perhaps a 1 TB hard drive is not the best... I backed up most of my games, though a couple got stuck partway through and I had to power down and then start them over...hope that didn't cause any problems... A few games like Wii Fit and Link's Crossbow Training seem to work fine, but most of the bigger games, when run from the hard drive, will crash or freeze in seconds or at least within a minute.

Is this a problem with the loader, or the hard drive itself? Is it too big, as it sounds like it might be? Is it a problem with the installing/dumping to the drive or the playing of the disc imagefiles from the drive? Are there any expected software fixes for this, or am I going to have to get a smaller hard drive?

Many thanks for any help.

thc42O

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
partition it, do u really want 1tb of compressed wii games anyway? i mean most wii games are shit anyway.
i use a 500 gb seagate freeagent go n i spit it in two partitions so i can watch avi on my wii aswell as play games.
make ur partition 4 wbfs 500 gigs and 500 gigs for media (use Fat32 for the other partition)

so, Make 2 partitions, Format BOTH to fat32
Format the First partitioin with WBFS Manager to WBFS
Enjoy.

Posts merged

also make sure ur Power saver options on ur drive are set to "sleep" NEVER

Omgwtfisthat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you are using windows, you won't need any extra software to partition the drive. There are quite a few guides, google.
smile.gif

JonLeung

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
'Kay, I'll try partitioning it.

Is the problem with the too-big-of-a-drive more to do with the dumping or the playing?

Just asking because it would save me a little bit of time if I used the WBFS Manager to back up the backups I've already made before formatting and partitioning, rather than redumping everything...

Elfish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i got a 1tb wd elements drive.
i made a 880gb wbfs partition
and a 50gb fat32 partiton for media/emus etc...

works just fine.
i'm dumped alot of games with wanins usbloader v1.5

JonLeung

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I did the two partitions thing, but then I was having less luck ripping games.

So I changed it back to one partition, but now I can't even rip Wii Sports. Bizarre.

Some kind of code dump/DSI error comes up when it's nearly done. Is that a software concern or a hardware concern?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff