Using the DS Screen vertically voids warranty

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Darkspark, Jun 1, 2007.

Jun 1, 2007
  1. Darkspark
    OP

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Went to GAME today to exchange my DS Lite since the crack started appearing and the top screen was getting loose.

I explained the problem briefly, and the staff asked if I used the screen "all the way back" so that the DS Lite is completely flat and I said yes. Imagine my surprise when he said that doing this "voids the warranty" as the DS was not designed to be played with the screen tilted in that position.

He had a point, as from now on, Im probably never going to push it so far, but voiding the warranty is a bit far isn't it? Is this what Nintendo are telling their partners to say?

Kudos to GAME though, as they still agreed to the exchange. Why is the DS Lite screen designed to be pushed back at two seperate angles if not by design?

It's like selling a car saying it can do a maximum of 160mph, but at that speed you car falls apart. [​IMG]

2. xenon

Member xenon GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Obviously bullshit.

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Lies lies and more lies....

4. Jecht

Newcomer Jecht Newbie

United States
    Hmm. Agreed with the bullshit remark.

If you can't use the screen safely vertically, you can't use it safely from any angle, i.e you can't draw to the side on a horizontal screen.

Nice trick by the staff to make you loyal to GAME, now you think they honored an exchange, even though you broke the warranty.

5. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] what a pile of rubbish. how can they say you've voided your warranty yet they still exchange it. hell if that's the case everyone who pulls their ds apart to mod it voiding their warranty can also take theirs back. [​IMG]

6. thegame07

United Kingdom
    i never buy stuff from game i hate them. They allow people to return games if they dont like them. So when you buy a brand new game someone might have already scratched it all [​IMG]

7. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Like me... okay, I only did this twice because the games were based on an impulse purchase and they were boring to play.

8. Shelleeson

United Kingdom
    yeh i know that as a retailer they're rubbish. wtf is that all about? your game should be new or else it is secondhand duh?

9. *Layzie*

Newcomer *Layzie* Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Game wher im at is pretty reliable in my opinion

but yh thats still bummy

10. *Layzie*

Newcomer *Layzie* Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Game wher im at is pretty reliable in my opinion

but yh thats still bummy

11. thegame07

United Kingdom
    i also hate the way they keep all the games in a drawer inside an instruction booklet and they get all scratched and the discs dont even look brand new [​IMG] when i buy a new game i expect it to be wrapped up and not opened at all. i dont want some teenagers fingermarks all over my discs thank you.

12. Shelleeson

United Kingdom
    yeh but have you noticed if the games have the slightest scratch on when you take them in to trade they won't accept them. [​IMG]

13. thegame07

United Kingdom
    Its a rip-off [​IMG] a warning to everybody dont buy stuff from GAME.

14. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    lol. a GAME hate thread.

yeah that warranty claim is complete bullshit.

15. DJJoker

Newcomer DJJoker Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    The warranty thing is obviously a load of crap.

I just received 2 NDS Lite's back from the UK service centre today. I sent them back under warranty for having cracked hinges, the guys I spoke too said "No problem, just send them to us".

They sent 2 brand new units [​IMG]

16. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Yeah, the warranty thing is bullshit, as a game employee I've never heard anything of the sort. My branch are well informed of the DS lite's hinge problems and will replace without question (thanks to me =) ).

you either go to an shit branch or your discs are badly scratched. I always think of it from a customers point of view... would I be willing to sell this to a customer as pre-owned and would that customer be willing to accept the quality of this disc. If this answer is no, then I refuse the disc. Would you be willing to buy your disc in the condition it's in?

17. Darkspark
    OP

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Do you have to get authorisation from your manager to do this? As it was necessary for my exchange, as I was told physical defects are not normally covered on consoles and should be referred to the manufacturer, yet Im pretty sure GAME have their own 1 yr warranty in addition to the manufacturer's warranty in the case of a faulty unit, I am entitled to an exchange.

Something they have no quibble about replacing are DS Lites that do not turn on, Dead screens or No Sound.

They don't make their one year GAME warranty very clear or detailed. A cracked hinge through no fault of my own is a faulty.

Little, you should tell head-office to make a clear and fair policy on the replacement/exchange of consoles. I could have sent my unit to Nintendo, but that is a lot of hassle. I buy a game console not from an online store, because I want to know the service and support is in place, should I run into any problems. Plus GAME is only 10 mins down the road [​IMG]

18. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    We don't need to get authorisation if we know its a manufacturing fault =) We'd be constantly bugging the manager if we had to get authorisation for the Xbox 360's we get back! It really will depend on the manager, and the region. Some managers will carefully check every faulty item before sending it back, our managers just trust us.

GAME don't have their own warranty as such, you have your statutory rights and then there's the general "customer service" side of it. GAME will just replace any console that clearly has a manufacturing fault. In the case of the hinges, I'm guessing a lot of branches just don't know it's a confirmed fault with the white lites. Each branch sends their faulties to head office, who forward it to the manufacturer for reimbursement.

You should get gamecare +D Game will do even less for you then and tell you to call the number !

19. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    I'm surprised he didnt ask if you were left handed
    "Sorry kid, the DS was not meant to be used in such a manner. Ya see, the stylus holder is on the right side for a reason"
    [​IMG]

20. shiny_latios

Newcomer shiny_latios Member

United Kingdom
    it's so expensive as well if they put all thier prices into gamestation i will be really annoyed although it would seem a bit stupid (Keep customers that don't know in the dark still to get more revenue)