Hacking Using SX OS file system's emuNAND in Atmosphere?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
All guides I find say to create enuNAND as hidden partition. I did that at first but being a pain to move it over to a new SD card I gave up and went back to using emuNAND as files in the main partition. Is there a way to use Hekate / Atmosphere with this emuNAND option? If so, how? Thanks in advance.

Edit: It is now , and it was answered in this thread (October 2020).

@vincentallen2, @PitPitPit and @belisleian, if still relevant to you, take a look.

Last edited by pustal,

vincentallen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All guides I find say to create enuNAND as hidden partition. I did that at first but being a pain to move it over to a new SD card I gave up and went back to using emuNAND as files in the main partition. Is there a way to use Hekate / Atmosphere with this emuNAND option? If so, how? Thanks in advance.
Waiting for an answer to this question as well

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is not a pain at all if you use NxNand Manager to copy/backup/move//resize the hidden Partition and an hidden Partition is far more “stable” and can’t be corrupted, unlike sd files based EmuMMC. My EmuMMC is shrinked to 10 go and all games installed in the sd Emuntendo folder, not in the EmuMMC.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are very good reasons why all guides recommend using emuMMC as a hidden partition; it is simply superior to file-based emuMMC. All of those guides also cover how to transfer emuMMC from one SD card to another. Unless you're moving emuMMC to another SD card every single day, it is not a hassle whatsoever. The fact that nobody responded up to now should tell you to just use partition-based emuMMC.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are very good reasons why all guides recommend using emuMMC as a hidden partition; it is simply superior to file-based emuMMC. All of those guides also cover how to transfer emuMMC from one SD card to another. Unless you're moving emuMMC to another SD card every single day, it is not a hassle whatsoever. The fact that nobody responded up to now should tell you to just use partition-based emuMMC.
I did respond , but maybe less accurate or understandable than your answer ;)

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

They sure didn't in September 2019. I asked again recently and had a positive answer, I should update the main post with a link to it.

It is superior in what ways, btw?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They sure didn't in September 2019. I asked again recently and had a positive answer, I should update the main post with a link to it.

It is superior in what ways, btw?
You are probably more protected against corruption on a hidden Partition than sd files based and you can shrink your EmuMMC (Not sure you can with sd files ?) And unless I’m not aware of progresses made with sd files, used to be faster in hidden Partition. (Never used sd files, only hidden).

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: pustal

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
You are probably more protected against corruption on a hidden Partition than sd files based and you can shrink your EmuMMC (Not sure you can with sd files ?) And unless I’m not aware of progresses made with sd files, used to be faster in hidden Partition. (Never used sd files, only hidden).

Corruption wise shouldn't matter much. If you corrupt your main partition, you'll corrupt your emuNAND but nothing stops you from corrupting an emuNAND partition as well, the way I see it.

About speed, I also don't have a term of comparison but seems fine enough.

Shrinking size yes it seems like a an advantage.

As for backup, I still see a convenience on just dragging and dropping or copy/pasting the files to my backups HDD.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corruption wise shouldn't matter much. If you corrupt your main partition, you'll corrupt your emuNAND but nothing stops you from corrupting an emuNAND partition as well, the way I see it.

About speed, I also don't have a term of comparison but seems fine enough.

Shrinking size yes it seems like a an advantage.

As for backup, I still see a convenience on just dragging and dropping or copy/pasting the files to my backups HDD.
To add on, a partition based emuMMC is harder for Nintendo to detect than a file based one in terms of banning people. Also corruption does matter because if your entire SD card is corrupted when using file-based, it would corrupt absolutely everything. But with partition-based, corruption will not affect the emuMMC partition so save files and games installed to internal memory will always be safe.

Reactions: Maupiti

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To add on, a partition based emuMMC is harder for Nintendo to detect than a file based one in terms of banning people. Also corruption does matter because if your entire SD card is corrupted when using file-based, it would corrupt absolutely everything. But with partition-based, corruption will not affect the emuMMC partition so save files and games installed to internal memory will always be safe.
Thanks for confirming the corruption “point “, as I always considered that saves games are a lot more important, than the games, easy to reinstall, when games saves (unless you do regular backups) are lost forever.

Reactions: Draxzelex

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
To add on, a partition based emuMMC is harder for Nintendo to detect than a file based one in terms of banning people.

Why would it be harder? It's a gpart call away or whatever FreeBSD or Android tool it uses underneath.

Also corruption does matter because if your entire SD card is corrupted when using file-based, it would corrupt absolutely everything. But with partition-based, corruption will not affect the emuMMC partition so save files and games installed to internal memory will always be safe.

Of course it can happen in the emuMMC partition. It can and does:

https://team-xecuter.com/community/threads/emunand-and-sdcard-corruption.135253/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-emunand-keeps-getting-corrupted-any-ideas.576632/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/possible-corrupt-emummc.546447/

Etc...

The emuNAND partition isn't magic, nor have some extra error correction to it, as far as I'm aware. The only think it does is to separate the water from the regular partition. If the latter gets corrupted, doesn't necessarily mean the emuNAND is corrupted and vice-versa. But it can get corrupted all the same.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would it be harder? It's a gpart call away or whatever FreeBSD or Android tool it uses underneath.
Because a partition can be anything but it cannot be analyzed as easily as say an individual file on the SD card.

Of course it can happen in the emuMMC partition. It can and does:

https://team-xecuter.com/community/threads/emunand-and-sdcard-corruption.135253/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-emunand-keeps-getting-corrupted-any-ideas.576632/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/possible-corrupt-emummc.546447/

Etc...

The emuNAND partition isn't magic, nor have some extra error correction to it, as far as I'm aware. The only think it does is to separate the water from the regular partition. If the latter gets corrupted, doesn't necessarily mean the emuNAND is corrupted and vice-versa. But it can get corrupted all the same.
I'm not really convinced. These seem like niche cases. The first one I am more likely to attribute to SX OS who have released bugs with their CFW while the latter two share a common trait which is using Goldleaf which is also highly buggy. Case in point, this is not definitive evidence that emuMMC can corrupt. There are many reasons why devs released partition-based emuMMC first and why this method has always been preferred historically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr