Homebrew Using Spare space on flashcart?

IceShadowX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was browsing the NDS Homebrew pages and I just thought... Would it be possible for a hombrew browser (or a program that requires a slot 2 device) to be able to create like a 'cache' file on the Slot-1 FlashCart using the spare space that remains on the card for things such as buffering videos etc? That way people would be able to use almost any Homebrew App. And it would probably open up more doors for the homebrew world...

Or has anybody tried this already and failed?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's the point of caching a video to the Slot-1 device? Presumably that's where the video will be located in the first place.

More importantly, the write speeds on MicroSD cards are much much slower than the read speeds.

IceShadowX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Understandable but I'm just thinking to speed up web browsing, by using a slot-1 cache I know some do that already but what I'm trying to say is if the user were to go on youtube on their ds using a slot-1 browser... it would make sense to cache it to the SD card rather than decline access.
As for speeds, my 4GB SDHC card writes at about 10 MB/s on a PC... Unless the DS slot-1 is slower or limited... it's possible...

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never used the browser on the DS, but I really doubt the DS have enough power to do Flash as in Youtube videos. It can't do AVI's, MPG's etc so how is it going to do flash? DSTWO on the otherhand might as you have the DIVX player in the works, and that also has built in additional memory.

Wait for the DSTWO SDK.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Rydian said:
The problem with viewing online videos is the DS's processing speed.

It sucks, to be frank.

Not to mention the DS' wifi speed is like 1mbit or something stupidly slow like that.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
tk_saturn said:
I've never used the browser on the DS, but I really doubt the DS have enough power to do Flash as in Youtube videos. It can't do AVI's, MPG's etc so how is it going to do flash? DSTWO on the otherhand might as you have the DIVX player in the works, and that also has built in additional memory.

Wait for the DSTWO SDK.

Wait, I thought there was that tunavids thing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.