Using Sneek and Uneek at the same time?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DEFIANT, Jun 4, 2011.

Jun 4, 2011
  1. DEFIANT
    OP

Member DEFIANT GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is it possible to use both Sneek on SD card and Uneek on USB and run them both independently on the Wii? I want to run Wiiware from uneek-usb and virtual console from sneek-sd and have access to both.

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    The answer is no, but you can get pretty close. The file SD:\sneek\kernel.bin is required for both sneek and uneek, but is different (for sneek, it is a renamed boot2_sd.bin file, for uneek it is the renamed boot2_usb.bin). If you want, you can install sneek, then rename kernel.bin to kernelSD.bin, and then install uneek. Taht will cause uneek to load. Then use something like wiixplorer to rename kernel.bin to kernelUSB.bin and kernelSD.bin to kernel.bin. Restart the wii, and it'll load sneek instead of uneek.

It's not the most practical solution ever, though. It's far better to just use snort or joyflow to avoid the 48 channel limit.

EDIT: accidental double post

3. DEFIANT
    OP

United States
    It's not the 48 limit I'm trying to avoid.

Let me explain:
    I am/was using mighty channels to run all my virtual console. The only problem is that codes do not work for any of it. See my post in mighty channels.

I'm also using uneek to run all my wiiware and using a combo of Snort48 and GeckoOS. So all the codes work. No problems here. Works quit well.

Having both wiiware and virtual console installed on the same uneek nand, slows uneeks load time to about 30-45 secs. I want to avoid this. Seems the more you have on the nand, the slower it loads.

That is painfully slow. Especially if I want to return to the menu and select another game; it's another 30-45 sec wait.

So my thinking was that if I could some how split and run them independently of each other I could have the best of both worlds.

That or someone could help find a solution to getting codes to work with mighty channels. I would be much obliged.

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

5. DEFIANT
    OP

United States
    Ok, I tried it. Works rather well. I'll have to create some new channels for all this.

What a round about way to do it but it's a solution none the less. Thank you.

6. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    I am currently working on a method to have channels hidden for the system menu and visible in mighty channels.
    Nobody could confirm this, but I think the system menu loads the banner annimation for all 48 channels when it starts.
    Loading all those from a slower medium (harddisk or sd card) is probably what's causing the slow uneek startup time with a filled up nand.
    Within a couple of days, I will probably know if my assumptions are truth and if my method to hide the channels is workable.
    You will be able to launch an unhidden channel with the system menu. I hope this makes it possible to add your codes.
    The method I use to launch the channels from within the modified mighty channels program doesn't allow this. (for the moment.)
    I am still trying to find a piece of decent example source code about how to add codes and launch a channel.

7. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

it is good idea , good luck

8. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Thanks, I wil report as soon as I have some results.

9. DEFIANT
    OP

United States
    Well I'd certainly be interested in that for sure. Good luck. Let us know what you find.