Hacking Using priiloader hacks without priiloader?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so here's my situation. The youth of my church have asked me to hack the Wii they have for the group. I've done so successfully with ModMii, and its great. Just one problem though. They have Wheel of Fortune as one of their legit games, and it stubs the IOSes used for homebrew. I'm not comfortable having this game stub things, then have me reinstall them. (It works, but I don't like it one bit.) I looked in StartPatch, but can't get it to work. Then I looked into Priiloader. I've personally used it before, but I don't like having anything boot before the system menu unless its for recovery. Is there a way to install the Disc Update Skip hack without having Priiloader stay active? (IF that made sense.) Is there a way to "trick" Wheel of Fortune into thinking it doesn't need to update? What would be the best way to proceed with this issue and still make it seem like nothing was done to the actual Wii? (That way the younger members of the youth don't get confused or break something?)

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so here's my situation. The youth of my church have asked me to hack the Wii they have for the group. I've done so successfully with ModMii, and its great. Just one problem though. They have Wheel of Fortune as one of their legit games, and it stubs the IOSes used for homebrew. I'm not comfortable having this game stub things, then have me reinstall them. (It works, but I don't like it one bit.) I looked in StartPatch, but can't get it to work. Then I looked into Priiloader. I've personally used it before, but I don't like having anything boot before the system menu unless its for recovery. Is there a way to install the Disc Update Skip hack without having Priiloader stay active? (IF that made sense.) Is there a way to "trick" Wheel of Fortune into thinking it doesn't need to update? What would be the best way to proceed with this issue and still make it seem like nothing was done to the actual Wii? (That way the younger members of the youth don't get confused or break something?)
priiloader can autoboot the sm.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't get why you believe they'll get confused by hacking priiloader installed.. If you want the Wii to brick, that's your choice, lawl. Priiloader doesn't boot first, maybe you should actually learn how to use stuff on the Wii and know what does what before you "hack" a Wii you don't own.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't get why you believe they'll get confused by hacking priiloader installed.. If you want the Wii to brick, that's your choice, lawl. Priiloader doesn't boot first, maybe you should actually learn how to use stuff on the Wii and know what does what before you "hack" a Wii you don't own.
Haha lol! I was gonna say that but you beat me.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
potential solutions, in order or ease of setup

-priiloader hacks, don't know what u got against it
-start patch, not sure why u can't get it to work
-load the game through neogamma, neocorp or some other loader
-install custom newer versions #'s of the whatever's in the update your trying to avoid (only do this if you know what you're doing)

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you install your cios with a max version patch, updates will not stub them. If you install our system ios and system menu with a version patch, updates will not update them. If you do that, any update will not break your softmod.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
to make things easier for playing games, you could either:

• Install NeoCorp (remove the update partitions or enable hacks to disable updates from disc and on-line)
  • Get a external HDD and use a USB Loader install that through Priiloader, then set it to load/return to that everytime.

Edit: Don't forget to update/install the latest and recommended IOSes though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Presume much snikerz? - many of these hacks make for a better experience than the stock setup. On a different note though must resist urge to link up Mr Carlin's breakdown of ten commandments.....

Back on topic I would echo the others and say just install priiloader and/or stick the legit* game on the drive or whatever you are using- it should be silent and not require fiddling and though I should probably know better out of range of the curious/what does this button do.

*you stick a bunch of films on a hard drive or music on a player and people still fish out the discs for them?

If you really do want to head down this path I imagine the priiloader works in one of three ways and most likely one of the first two which is probably nice for you
1) It hardpatches the menu on NAND.

2) It softpatches the menu in ram (whether actually in ram or on the way there it does not really matter).

3) It sticks a hook into the menu code to keep it rewritten to whatever it needs to be.

If it is one of the first two you just get to find the binary of the menu/what it loaded (probably not that hard to get at), cut through any encryption/signing (see most wii tools for this)
If the latter it gets a bit harder in that you might have to think about what the patches do and why they might do it

Third choice is full workaround (you make it seem as though things have already been stubbed when they really have not) but let us not head down that path preferably at all (it is dangerously close to the cioscorp line of thought).

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Priiloader doesn't boot first, maybe you should actually learn how to use stuff on the Wii and know what does what before you "hack" a Wii you don't own.
Actually priiloader is run every time you start the system menu
Thats how it works and why it is installed in the place where sysmenu would be
(and is thus removed should you update/replace the sysmenu)

Maybe you should heed your own advice

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I was tired and didn't see that Priiloader only loads when holding reset during power up. I'm fine with that. Problem is solved now. (Back when I used it, I must have had a different version that booted every time before the System Menu.) Also, about that 8th commandment, we're not stealing. We're using homebrew for watching movies because we don't have any other options right now. (We're a small church and the Wii was donated to try and help the youth group grow.) Besides, all the hacked content can only be used when I bring it in (as I am a youth leader).

And about learning more before hacking a Wii I don't own, its not the first Wii I've hacked. My own has a WODE so I don't need to worry about things like this. Also, that's why I posted here, to learn more before doing it. Thanks for the unneeded assumption that I'm new at this.

To those that actually tried to help, I do appreciate it. Problem is solved.

EDIT:
Edit: Don't forget to update/install the latest and recommended IOSes though.
I check up on this every couple of months with ModMii, then install any changes. Thanks for the tip though. It was appreciated.

And hoping to clear things up, here's what I've done so the naysayers (who surprisingly haven't been here as long as I have) can see I know what I'm doing, and when I don't I research and ask for help first:

Wiis I've hacked-
Mine - Bannerbomb over a year ago. WODE shortly after. Updated with ModMii a few months back.
A friend's - Indiana Pwns (right before LetterBomb came out). Homebrew channel only.
The youth's - Letterbomb. Just now looking into more hacks to make is as easily accessible as possible. (A legitimate concern when it comes to kids.)

So, please, don't assume I'm ignorant anymore.

Hunter X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get a DVD player, they're not that expensive anymore. I'm going to assume you're watching movies straight from legit DVD's and not downloaded/dumped movies, because that's stealing too. The FBI notice clearly states you may not make illegal copies of the movie, either digital or physical. Stay safe, say no to drugs, don't use condoms, and pray to whomever you believe in. ;)

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2