GCN Using Original Gameboy Advanced Player On Gamecube with a burned Gamecube Gameboy Game Disc?

Auroran

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I bought a gamecube and a gamecube gameboy player to play on TV/Monitor/etc. However, since that long time ago, after moving houses about 3 times, I've lost the disc.

Is there a way to still play this on a tv with a burned gamecube disc on a CD mini or dvd mini (presuming they exist)? Or am I out of luck?

EDIT: I've seen threads about modding the GCN. This is not an option for me, as it seems to be cheaper to buy the disc itself than buying a modchip. I can afford any options under 50 dollars, please.

Last edited by Auroran,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mini-DVD-R exist (use -R, not +R). But the Cube is not actually good at reading burned discs. It may require opening the console and adjusting the potentiometer (lowering the resistance) for the laser. You may have to try multiple types of blank media. Ritek G04/G05 are considered the best, but hard to find nowadays.

In order to use burned discs or software from SDs you need the possibility to start Swiss. If you own one legit disc from the list here:
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew (this wiki is a good starting point for many GameCube questions)
You can use a save exploit (else just buy the cheapest game). The boot.gci from the Swiss package does not fit on the “Memory Card 59”

The only problem is to get the save exploit on the memory card. Easiest way is using a hacked Wii and software like GCMM.

Once Swiss is started you can
  • (try) booting burned media
  • load ISO files from SDgecko (passive adapter; very cheap)
  • Start homebrew software like GBI from SDgecko (and you can even boot GBI from normal memory card without Swiss)

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
mod chips are about $5 have a look on ebay or eurasia very easy to install by any repair person , burn the disc , ebay again for the mini dvd-r , i did it n mine , igot a gameboy player for $15 from the USA with no disc

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The authentic USA gameboy player disc has gotten pricey.

In the long run, arguably even buying a Japanese Gamecube to import the disc is more cost effective. That way you'll gain perfect JP game compatibility without modding or anything else.

SnowDan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Soft modding with these couple things you can find by googling:
  1. SD Memory Card Stick Card Reader Converter Adapter for Nintendo Wii NGC Gamecube Console
  2. GameCube Action Replay
Those will cost ~$50, possibly less depending on where you are and who you get them from. And then you can install GameBoy Interface through swiss.
GBi not only ignores the need for any disc, it'll enhance your GameBoy Player's capabilities.
Here's a video showing some of how to do this (He has an OSSC and Component Cables that you don't need)

Here's another setup if you have a Wii and Wind Waker

Last edited by SnowDan,
Reactions: JakobAir

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol