Using no$gba to create a cheated save file...

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Blake1710, Mar 2, 2009.

Mar 2, 2009
  1. Blake1710
    OP

Member Blake1710 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    OK, so. I've had this idea that I'd make a new save file for Pokemon Firered with cheats etc. and then use GBA Backup Tool to replace the original save file on the cart with the cheated one, but I'm running into trouble.

For starters, the cheats don't work no$gba (gameshark+codebreaker), and then when I try to put the new save file on the cart GBA Backup Tool freezes.

So if somebody could give me some help with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    First up, it's probably easier to use VisualBoyAdvance; the cheat functions are a lot easier and you don't have to mess with the save format. If you insist on using no$gba, though, then you'll need to fix the way saves are written. In the folder where no$gba is, there should be a file called "no$gba.ini". If not, run no$gba, hit Options, and hit Save Options. Now open no$gba.ini in Notepad, and look for the line that says "SAV/SNA File Format". Right now it probably says "Compressed", or maybe "Uncompressed", but neither of these is what you want. You want to change it to "Raw", so the whole line looks like this:

Code:
    SAV/SNA File Format == Raw
    As for cheats, you'll have to wait for somebody else's help, I've never bothered with cheats in no$gba.

3. Blake1710
    OP

Member Blake1710 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    OK, I'll try it that way and with VBA.

thanks for your help