Using my old XROM 512 as the "expansion pack"??

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by zidane_genome, Apr 20, 2008.

1. zidane_genome
    OP

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I have a G6DS Real (I know, one of the crappiest cards, but I got it a while ago, and have 2 now)

I'm trying to figure out how to use my old XROM 512 as an expansion pack for GBA games, and maybe even the DS Browser (actual release ROM)

No, I'm not asking for ROM files, so please don't flag/close this thread. I'm asking if there's a way to use my XROM as the expansion pack.

Cheers! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    To my acknoweldge the XROM 512 has only NOR RAM that has to be written to through the PC (though it would be possible to write to using the GBA_Exp_loader if Rudlph added support for normal cards).

The Ram Expansion on the other hand would requirer faster ram aka Flash Ram which the XROM doesn't have so this is a no go for you...

3. zidane_genome
    OP

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    figures... I always seem to get the crappy cards for my BigN products, lol

That's the only reason I will never mod my Wii... as soon as I get a Wii chip, it'll be discontinued, or bricked the next day, lol... knowing my luck!

Thanks though... now I get to sit here and pout for a little bit...

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Kinda a rehash of a previous post, but whatever.

The X-ROM does contain strictly NOR flash which cannot be used as RAM. You've written to it before, right? Imagine the DS trying to write data to it as RAM, with its incredibly slow write speed. It wouldn't work. Current slot-2 devices contain actual RAM that the browser can use rather than (or in addition to) NOR flash.

Nobody's made a program to manage the X-rom from a slot-1 device, so you'll still need to use your computer to read and write to/from the X-rom.