Using Multi-Mod Manager to install NUS Shop Channel v20 freezes Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by OMGLX, Dec 8, 2011.

1. OMGLX
    OP

Newcomer OMGLX Member

United States
    Hey all--

So, I had a friend tell me about ModMii, and thought I might virginize my Wii in an effort to clean up my previous hack attempt (which at some point resulted in some sort of softbrick I couldn't fix, and could only circumvent using the Maintenance Mode entry) -- The whole ModMii process is considerably simpler than when I first delved into soft modding my Wii.

Good News -- Soft Brick is gone! :yay:

Bad News -- When I go through the step to use the Multi Mod Manager via the HBC to install all the necessary wads, I get to the 46th out of 50 installs-- Shopping_Channel_NUS_v20.wad (I don't think that's the exact file name), and it installs 15 of the 18 constituent parts, and then freezes the Wii on 16/18.

I restarted the Wii, went back into HBC / MMM and tried to install JUST the shop channel, and ran into the same error.

Anybody have any possible fixes for this? I tried to search for this problem on Google, but wasn't able to find anyone who was running into the same kind of hiccup.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~LX.

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    verify the shopping channel wad was downloaded properly, after ModMii runs it shows a download log, the summary will be green if there are no errors and red if there are (ie. 20 files successfully downloaded, etc.). If there were any errors u should download it again.

3. OMGLX
    OP

Newcomer OMGLX Member

United States
    I had zero issue with the ModMii process, the first time I did it I got the all-green, good to go. Everything had been verified. After running into the Shop Channel install freeze error a couple of times, I re-ran the ModMii process just to double-check, downloaded everything again, everything was verified once again-- still having the same issue when attempting to install the Shop Channel.

4. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    What ios are you using to run the MMM wad installer? Are you having ios 56 which is needed for the shop channel?

5. OMGLX
    OP

Newcomer OMGLX Member

United States
    I want to say that during my first attempt, per the generated ModMii guide (which I followed to the letter) -- no.

When I tried the second time around (after trying to install JUST the Wii Shop Channel independent of all other wads for the first time) -- I used MMM to install IOS 56. That's like the tenth link down, isn't it? I'm not at home right now to double check, but I will later.

6. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    I am unsure modmii will download the items again. I think you need to delete the temp folder first, but I am sure Xflak can confirm or deny this.
    I don't know the criteria the program uses to consider a previous download a valid one.

7. nunavat2010

Member nunavat2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am no expert just a casual wii user.
    A few points:
    1) MMM sucks, reminds me really old DOS programs (there are lots of happy users of it), so does Modmii (but sucking level is little less)
    2) For wad install use Wad manager 1.7 (wanin) or Yet another wad manager.
    3) Why update pieces of IOS here and there, just update to 4.3 using NS (there is a very active member here who knows a lot and say that causes brick, listen to him and mantra here for update is using Modmii, so hackers do make better things than NS)
    4) I don't even know how to change regions, so don't listen to me.

There is some degree of sarcasm in here, before you get your panties in a knot

8. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    yes just delete the temp folder an replace it with an empty one. i do it every time i run modmii.(that an copy to- _ folders)

9. XFlak

Canada
    u only need to delete the temp folder if u have problems, but normally ModMii verifies the files and if they fail they are deleted from the temp folder and redownloaded.

10. OMGLX
    OP

Newcomer OMGLX Member

United States
    So I went back, erased my temp folder contents, wiped my SD card, ran ModMii, copies over stuff to SD Card, went back through the process- still hangs in the exact same place. Install of the Shopping Channel, install 48/50, at 16/18 of the way through.

Should I just opt to just not install the Shop Channel at this point?

11. XFlak

Canada
    that is up to you, u can keep trying if u want. You can try alternate wad manager like yawmm or wiimod (both on ModMii's download page 2). Or u can use mmm\wiimod\dop-mii to install the channel (not their wad manager menu but "channels" menu), that will likely require an internet connection on your wii. If u already have the shopping channel and are updating it, u could try deleting the old channel, perhaps its interfering with the installation of the newer channel. Be very careful using apps like anytitledeleter (or wiimod's ATD functions) only delete the shopping channel and nothing else.

12. OMGLX
    OP

Newcomer OMGLX Member

United States
    xFlak - thanks bunches for your help. I actually tried WAD Manager and ran into the same basic issue, so I have decided I should try fully deleting the existing Shop Channel before attempting to install it cleanly.

I was wondering if you could perhaps elucidate on the process for deleting the Shop Channel using AnyTitleDeleter? I put it on my SD Card and opened it via HBC, but didn't find anything that explicitly said "Shop Channel" so I opted to wait until I knew for sure wtf I was doing. :P