Using hard drive that got copied game saves without ban?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by gaboumafou, Aug 3, 2010.

1. gaboumafou
    OP

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hello,

Since my launch-date Xbox 360 got a RRoD, I was looking for a new console to replace it (probably an Arcade since I already got an HDD).

I was wondering if I could use that HDD on my new console without getting banned. I was never banned from Live on that old console because I stopped going online when the ban waves started, but I got saves from copied games (and wave-patched games) on that HDD. Will it be detectable if I put that HDD on a new console? Will that console get banned even if the DVD firmware isn't modified?

Bonus question: Is the DVD firmware on the Arcade (the one made just before the "Slim") flashable?

Many thanks!

-gabou

2. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Arcade's can be flashed. You should be fine with the save files.

3. gaboumafou
    OP

Canada
    So if the data that tells that you played a copied game aren't stored on the HDD, how does Microsoft knows that you played an illegal copy as soon as you login on Live (without even playing a game or having one in your drive)?

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Chances are that your already flagegd for a ban

in this last so called "wave" ; i didn't go online ever since the bannings for Halo ODST, Borderlands and Forza were going on (they were simple account bans only)

i waited till the beginning of summer, to try this theory of staying signed off, i had already updated to the latest dashboard via USB, and what do you know, banned as soon as i tried signing in [​IMG]

so well my line of thought here is to temp fix your 360, try going on live, and then see what you'll do about your new one, would be be shame to get a new one if you are banned (then again wouldn't it be best to start a fresh GT on the new 360) - there is also a way by signing into xbox.com and try to request a repair, if the URL returns with an error then that too means your banned.

ok as of your concerns, ms know, and we are still not sure about this, that you've played copied games by communicating with the NAND of the 360 (something of the sort, please spare me the techy details, but this is the generic 'how they knew all along'). It seems all data of what goes on is stored there. As i said, because of this, offline or not, you are most likely flagged for banning anyway.

5. gaboumafou
    OP

Canada
    Thank you!

If I understand correctly, I could use my old HDD in a new console and not get banned as long as I use a new gamertag? Or am I mistaken?

6. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    halo and borderlands were account suspensions.

also, MS bans hardware; they only ban GT's when the GT has been messed with. you don't necessarily want to "try" going online, either. unless you want to re-format your entire hard drive to make it usable again. because if you do get banned, every single file on your hard drive becomes corrupted and only usable on the banned hardware.

i mean, there is a way to un-corrupt your data to be used on a fresh box, but that took me somewhere around 6 hours to do.

it would be best to assume that your old hardware is flagged. your saves should be fine, though.

this thread really needs someone who knows more than i do to clarify the situation, though.

7. gaboumafou
    OP

Canada
    In short:

Playing with my old save files = ban

Formating the old drive and using it on a new hardware, with a new gamertag = good

?

8. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    no no no. you wont get banned for anything on your harddrive, unless of course you modified it in some way.

i highly doubt your profile is flagged. just the console. so youre profile is fine.

another thing. even if you get banned there are tools to uncorrupt your profile and saves so they are usable for your new 360. and if you are concerned with not having a transfer cable, just transfer it to a usb and find the 360 usb explorer. and uncorrupt them. if they even need to be uncorrupted

in any case. your stuff should be fine, unless you get banned on the console that may be flagged. no uncorrupting profile/saves necessary

9. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    You do not need a a new gamertag, it was merely a suggestion

Get your new arcade, put your HDD on top and recover your gamertag and your good to go with all your save files and everything

10. gaboumafou
    OP

Canada
    Many thanks to you all!