Suggestion Using custom google search

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Lilith Valentine, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The current search function is just awful. I can't find anything with the current search function and often find myself searching with google to find anything. Can we please just use a custom google search instead of this awful search function?

2. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Just go on Google and type site:gbatemp.net after what you're searching for.

3. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
  4. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    That's what I do, but it doesn't change the fact that the search function is crap

5. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Yep I agree It's just better to use google for searching GBAtemp since the search function on here it's just useless.

6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I have to agree, it doesn't search by relevance here, just searches the entire forum for whatever word you type into it.

If you type in 3ds black screen you're going to get a shit load of results that aren't relevant. Mainly because it searches for every post. So if some people mentioned it a few hundred times in one thread it will bring back a few hundred results just on that one thread. Near impossible to find something specific

AyanamiRei0 likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Personally I really like the search engine here, it works for the way I think/remember things and has the option to narrow results down far more than google does (reliably by user, by sub forum(s), date and more).

Google certainly still has its uses but I would say the majority of my searches use the internal one and there would be more but the search bar in the top of the browser is right there.

That said having it as a selectable option would not be a bad thing.

8. CrispyCola

CrispyCola TBAGemp Bember

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    Transylvania, I guess
    Agree. Doesn't search by relevance and 3 letter or less words aren't even included in the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk