Homebrew Using Citra Emulator to practice downgrading and installing CFW?

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
Title says it all. Is this possible?
Reading plailect's guide, it feels like every little mistake I make could potentionally brick my console.. :(
Even when people do the correct thing, they can still get bricked by a small chance.
I'd like to get some practice first.

Hopefully, 11.0 will be downgradable soon. I updated out of foolishness.

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Reading plailect's guide, it feels like every little mistake I make could potentionally brick my console.. :(
Even when people do the correct thing, they can still get bricked by a small chance.

Citra won't be an option for this.
If you're scared to downgrade your device or to setup A9LH, just ask someone who did this already if he'll help you.
There are some people who'll make that for you or who will install a hardmod for you.

Scott Pilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Citra won't help you with this. You have the guts to do it or not, that's it. I recommend you to do it next to someone that already has done it successfully and read the guide to do it until you feel comfortable and ready to do it.

BruceJackieJetLeeLiChan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I've downgraded 3 3DS, 1 new, 2 old. 2 Mine, 1 a friend. The first time I did both of mine at the same time and they went with no problem. On my friends got the black screen after downgrading and I just Hard Rebooted it.

You can't really fail downgrading. Put in the right updates file. And use the sysUpdater. If its the wrong sysUpdater then it just WON'T LET YOU DOWNGRADE. It won't downgrade and fail and brick you. I had like 5 sysUpdaters on my Homebrew menu and only 1 of them worked. I grabbed them from many different sources. 4 of them couldn't downgrade and the last 1 worked.

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
Citra won't help you with this. You have the guts to do it or not, that's it. I recommend you to do it next to someone that already has done it successfully and read the guide to do it until you feel comfortable and ready to do it.
Aahh, too bad :P
I would want to, but here in Norway, I know absolutely nobody who has done this, let alone has a 3ds. (Well, that's a lie. One guy has a 3ds but doesn't do anything with hacks)
I'm a person who doesn't take any chances. I hate chance and risk. But my desire for CFW is too strong to resist, and it'll be the end of my 3ds, I just know it.
Guess I'll just read the guide a few billion times, I guess.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've downgraded 3 3DS, 1 new, 2 old. 2 Mine, 1 a friend. The first time I did both of mine at the same time and they went with no problem. On my friends got the black screen after downgrading and I just Hard Rebooted it.

You can't really fail downgrading. Put in the right updates file. And use the sysUpdater. If its the wrong sysUpdater then it just WON'T LET YOU DOWNGRADE. It won't downgrade and fail and brick you. I had like 5 sysUpdaters on my Homebrew menu and only 1 of them worked. I grabbed them from many different sources. 4 of them couldn't downgrade and the last 1 worked.
The regular SysUpdater should work, I mean, I've been using it to update so I don't see why it would fail to downgrade. It's not recommended though because it doesn't do safety checks. PlaiSysUpdater is the only recommended one for downgrading.

Even practicing wouldn't get rid of that worry that something might go wrong, I have it too. At one point you just have to decide "Fuck it" and go for it.
Follow every step to the letter, double and triple check that you've done the steps so you don't skip anything. You can skip A9LH for now since it's the longest part of the process and also the most risky, you can always install it later if you decide you're up for it.
The risk is very low that you will get a softbrick (recoverable by updating through recovery mode)
The risk for getting a hardbrick (unrecoverable without a NAND backup) is almost nonexistant.

At the moment you need a hardmod to downgrade 11.0. It might be a good idea to get a hardmod installed by someone who knows how to solder, not only so that you can downgrade, but once you have a hardmod you can mess up downgrading or otherwise all you want and still be able to restore to a working NAND backup. It takes all the risk out of the process.

Downgrading 11.0 without a hardmod will most likely never be possible. It would take not only an ARM11 kernel exploit (which may be possible on 11.0) but also an ARM9 kernel exploit to do so, and there are no known ARM9 exploits that aren't patched yet. The last one (ntrcardhax) was patched in 10.4. We will probably never have another one unless the pro hackers (plutoo, derrek, smea) decide to reveal as of yet unknown exploits to us once again, like what happened last time.

So if you are interested in CFW, it would be best to get a hardmod installed soon, as Nintendo may patch the hardmod downgrade method any time now.
I would want to, but here in Norway, I know absolutely nobody who has done this, let alone has a 3ds. (Well, that's a lie. One guy has a 3ds but doesn't do anything with hacks)
I'm a person who doesn't take any chances. I hate chance and risk. But my desire for CFW is too strong to resist, and it'll be the end of my 3ds, I just know it.
I would do it for you for a fee but since you are on 11.0 there's not much I can do. I can solder a bit but would never attempt a 3DS hardmod. I don't trust my soldering skills that much :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
The regular SysUpdater should work, I mean, I've been using it to update so I don't see why it would fail to downgrade. It's not recommended though because it doesn't do safety checks. PlaiSysUpdater is the only recommended one for downgrading.

Even practicing wouldn't get rid of that worry that something might go wrong, I have it too. At one point you just have to decide "Fuck it" and go for it.
Follow every step to the letter, double and triple check that you've done the steps so you don't skip anything. You can skip A9LH for now since it's the longest part of the process and also the most risky, you can always install it later if you decide you're up for it.
The risk is very low that you will get a softbrick (recoverable by updating through recovery mode)
The risk for getting a hardbrick (unrecoverable without a NAND backup) is almost nonexistant.

At the moment you need a hardmod to downgrade 11.0. It might be a good idea to get a hardmod installed by someone who knows how to solder, not only so that you can downgrade, but once you have a hardmod you can mess up downgrading or otherwise all you want and still be able to restore to a working NAND backup. It takes all the risk out of the process.
Downgrading 11.0 without a hardmod will most likely never be possible. It would take not only an ARM11 kernel exploit (which may be possible on 11.0) but also an ARM9 kernel exploit to do so, and there are no known ARM9 exploits that aren't patched yet. The last one (ntrcardhax) was patched in 10.4. We will probably never have another one unless the pro hackers (plutoo, derrek, smea) decide to reveal as of yet unknown exploits to us once again, like what happened last time.
So if you are interested in CFW, it would be best to get a hardmod installed soon, as Nintendo may patch the hardmod downgrade method any time now.

Thanks for the reply. Very saddening.
I'm really in no position to get someone to hardmod my 3ds, haha :P Or even do it myself..
I don't have any soldering gear, and I am incredibly clumsy and bad with my hands.
Living with my parents in the same house, and I'm not even going to bother trying to explain the situation. I'm sure you understand..
All I have is my N3DSXL and my Old 3ds from 2011.
(Which is on firmware 10.7. Is there hope after all?? nah jk)

P.S. You said downgrading with the ARM9 exploit was patched in 10.4. But I thought it was possible on 10.7? Could just be me though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the reply. Very saddening.
I'm really in no position to get someone to hardmod my 3ds, haha :P Or even do it myself..
I don't have any soldering gear, and I am incredibly clumsy and bad with my hands.
Living with my parents in the same house, and I'm not even going to bother trying to explain the situation. I'm sure you understand..
All I have is my N3DSXL and my Old 3ds from 2011.
(Which is on firmware 10.7. Is there hope after all?? nah jk)

P.S. You said downgrading with the ARM9 exploit was patched in 10.4. But I thought it was possible on 10.7? Could just be me though.
To clarify, the exploit available on 10.7 is an ARM11 exploit. ARM11 used to be all that was needed for downgrading.
In 11.0 this changed, because they added a list of minimum versions for system titles, and if the version is lower than that, the install is denied on the ARM9 side.

You can certainly downgrade your o3DS if you have an exploitable game (Cubic Ninja or OoT/Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon + powersaves/savedongle, there's a new entrypoint coming soon as well but the game is unknown)
Are you sure you don't know anyone who can solder? I got my dad to install my Wii modchip back in the day :P
I don't know about you, but I never want to use an o3DS again after getting the n3DS. The 3D works so much better, it should have been like this from the beginning honestly.

There's always the option of sending the console off to UK to be hardmodded by @gamesquest1 who is well renowned for his hardmods, but the import tax and shipping costs make it a lot more expensive, still cheaper than buying another n3DS XL though. It would be about 90 kr to send it there, about 400 kr in import tax when it gets sent back to you, and however much import tax in UK + shipping back to you costs (it's probably less than that) plus a small fee for the actual install. He might do the downgrade for you as well if you ask.
But that's only if you write the real value on the package. You could probably avoid import tax by writing a low value on the package.

I have been wanting a hardmod just for safety but haven't been willing to send it off to gamesquest1 due to the risk of having to pay a lot in import tax. My console is hacked and working fine, so it just wasn't worth it. It would have been worth it if I bricked it or was on 11.0 wanting CFW though.

Think of it this way, one game costs 400-450 NOK, so for around the price of two games (at most) you can get all the 3DS games you could ever want for free. :)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry, but that's not possible. You will just need to study and work yourself through it. It's not very hard if you follow the guide, it's just time consuming because of all the safety and backing up.

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Believe me, its very easy stuff to do because the developers have made lots of one click tools for it.

You just take time to make sure you download and organize the correct files needed on each step and then you read every line twice before doing it, profit it!

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
To clarify, the exploit available on 10.7 is an ARM11 exploit. ARM11 used to be all that was needed for downgrading.
In 11.0 this changed, because they added a list of minimum versions for system titles, and if the version is lower than that, the install is denied on the ARM9 side.

You can certainly downgrade your o3DS if you have an exploitable game (Cubic Ninja or OoT/Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon + powersaves/savedongle, there's a new entrypoint coming soon as well but the game is unknown)
Are you sure you don't know anyone who can solder? I got my dad to install my Wii modchip back in the day :P
I don't know about you, but I never want to use an o3DS again after getting the n3DS. The 3D works so much better, it should have been like this from the beginning honestly.

There's always the option of sending the console off to UK to be hardmodded by @gamesquest1 who is well renowned for his hardmods, but the import tax and shipping costs make it a lot more expensive, still cheaper than buying another n3DS XL though. It would be about 90 kr to send it there, about 400 kr in import tax when it gets sent back to you, and however much import tax in UK + shipping back to you costs (it's probably less than that) plus a small fee for the actual install. He might do the downgrade for you as well if you ask.
But that's only if you write the real value on the package. You could probably avoid import tax by writing a low value on the package.

I have been wanting a hardmod just for safety but haven't been willing to send it off to gamesquest1 due to the risk of having to pay a lot in import tax. My console is hacked and working fine, so it just wasn't worth it. It would have been worth it if I bricked it or was on 11.0 wanting CFW though.

Think of it this way, one game costs 400-450 NOK, so for around the price of two games (at most) you can get all the 3DS games you could ever want for free. :)
Sorry for not seeing your post yesterday.. Went to sleep, I apologize. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

To be frank, my dad is actually okay at soldering. He's done it a fair amount actually. He recently soldered his Toshiba Chromebook to get Linux running on the thing (he is a Linux engineer, really good computer guy.) If the entire soldering process is relatively simple, I could perhaps get him to do it :P Of course, my grandfather has been making small model airplanes and fixing techy-gadgets all his life.. A soldering pro, he is. Unfortunately, he lives in another country, and I won't be visiting for at least a month..

Now my question to you is.. doing the hard mod, can my system still brick? (By software of course, obviously it will brick if you break any delicate hardware)
If not, then why do people favour the software method of getting a9lh?

Heh, maybe you can get your father to solder your 3ds, like good old times xP lol

Last edited by Deleted member 387460,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry for not seeing your post yesterday.. Went to sleep, I apologize. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

To be frank, my dad is actually okay at soldering. He's done it a fair amount actually. He recently soldered his Toshiba Chromebook to get Linux running on the thing (he is a Linux engineer, really good computer guy.) If the entire soldering process is relatively simple, I could perhaps get him to do it :P Of course, my grandfather has been making small model airplanes and fixing techy-gadgets all his life.. A soldering pro, he is. Unfortunately, he lives in another country, and I won't be visiting for at least a month..

Now my question to you is.. doing the hard mod, can my system still brick? (By software of course, obviously it will brick if you break any delicate hardware)
If not, then why do people favour the software method of getting a9lh?

Heh, maybe you can get your father to solder your 3ds, like good old times xP lol
The hardmod provides absolute protection against any form of software bricks, and it also allows downgrading FIRM on 11.0 consoles (and of course backing up, restoring and switching between NAND backups at will)
That's pretty much all it does, you still need to follow the same downgrade/A9LH install process. Physically modding the 3DS is just too much of a pain in the ass for most people to do unless they need it to unbrick their 3DS.

Deleted member 387460

superuser
OP
Trophies
XP
The hardmod provides absolute protection against any form of software bricks, and it also allows downgrading FIRM on 11.0 consoles (and of course backing up, restoring and switching between NAND backups at will)
That's pretty much all it does, you still need to follow the same downgrade/A9LH install process. Physically modding the 3DS is just too much of a pain in the ass for most people to do unless they need it to unbrick their 3DS.
Alright, so if I do hardmod, then somehow downgrade from 11.0, I can follow the guide and fuck up as many times as I want?
Then what happens if I do something that would normally brick my 3ds? How does it work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D