Using Azif DNS, but PS4 downloaded game update?

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi All,

I'm very new to the PS4 hacking scene, due to the release of FW 9.0.0 jailbreak this week. so I have done the setup and have Goldhen v2.0.b running, and I also use Al Azif DNS.
I checked that I cannot download system update anymore. it always gives error.

I then tried to install a base game. it then suddenly downloaded the game update, version 1.0.9.
my question is, shouldn't Azif DNS block the game update? is it safe to update game this way? will I get banned from doing it?
because I made sure that I cannot access PSN store, my PSN profile, download system update, etc. but I didn't expect that game update can be downloaded.

any explanation and advice would be really appreciated.

thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, it doesn't work with all game updates, and if your base game is an fpkg, the game will no longer work with if that update installed.

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
afaik, it doesn't work with all game updates, and if your base game is an fpkg, the game will no longer work with if that update installed.
thank you very much @godreborn for your reply!
I was actually thinking of messaging you, but happy to have you replying my thread :)

so, basically what you're saying, even if I use Azif DNS, the PS$ can still download the game update (it's not blocked). However, the update will not work anyway since the base file is a FPKG. is this correct?

so in that case, how can I stop the PS4 from automatically downloading the game update?

another question would be. Am I safe from getting banned? since it seems the DNS doesn't block everything.

thanks again!

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I was testing with the game the Last Campfire. I think it's a PSN game, so that means it's not an FPKG? Sorry, I'm really new in this scene :(

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psn and retail games must be fpkg unless you have the license or disc. I don't know how to prevent all updates from downloading, but the game will no longer work if it's an fpkg and you download a retail update, unless you have the license.

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psn and retail games must be fpkg unless you have the license or disc. I don't know how to prevent all updates from downloading, but the game will no longer work if it's an fpkg and you download a retail update, unless you have the license.
Won't this result in a mess of non-working games if retail updates continue to automatically download? How are folks getting around this? By caching the exploit and unplugging the internet (after the first time being connected)? Or are there other ways around this?

WeAreVenom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Won't this result in a mess of non-working games if retail updates continue to automatically download? How are folks getting around this? By caching the exploit and unplugging the internet (after the first time being connected)? Or are there other ways around this?
Isn't there a ps4 option to turn off automatic downloads/updates in settings?
Did anyone also check the needed power save settings just to be cautious? Do Game updates bypass all of this stuff?

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well um i use the CORRECT ip's for Al's wonderful dns. I make sure to enter them CORRECTLY. I also run gold hen. Then I repeat process on other ps4's and you should too! Because it is very convenient to be able to send bins and ftp and play stuff like youtube or amazon prime or netflix without worrying about the games dl updates. If you check out my streams on yt the ps4 is always online (lately on 9.0) and I don't have this issue.

Reactions: Mo Poge

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well um i use the CORRECT ip's for Al's wonderful dns. I make sure to enter them CORRECTLY. I also run gold hen. Then I repeat process on other ps4's and you should too! Because it is very convenient to be able to send bins and ftp and play stuff like youtube or amazon prime or netflix without worrying about the games dl updates. If you check out my streams on yt the ps4 is always online (lately on 9.0) and I don't have this issue.
The al-asif DNS doesn't block game updates from downloading apparently, though they aren't installed automatically. Same thing happened to me today!

I'm not sure, I tried to install a retail update I downloaded through PKG tool onto an FPKG installed game and the install just errored out, so I'm guessing the PS4 wouldn't be able to install the downloaded file anyway.

Reactions: arabtm and Mo Poge

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it didn't error because it was a retail update. you'd have to remarry the update, since updates are based on the base package. can't do that though without knowing the passcode of the retail update, so it's impossible anyway.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I tried to use the DUXA repackaging tool to marry the two but, as you say it failed because of the password for the update being incorrect since it was retail.

Been learning a lot today! That's why I asked about installing a backported update on 9.00, can't seem to find regular fake updates because if how popular JB on older FW is!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a ratchet and clank update download, think it was 1.09. it was one of my own dumps, and I installed the 1.07 update from orbis patches. dumped both and made fake pkg. anyway, it either failed at downloading or installing. I've also had it happen with cyberpunk 2077, but those are the only two games. both updates failed at either downloading or installing.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that got me to thinking whether a downloaded update would even install for that very reason.
This is what I thought also. I think it'll download the retail update but fail to install it you choose to install.

My FFVII remake update download notification came up, and it asks to me install it on startup, but I can still play the game without installing. I can't even see the notification about it downloading now either which is strange but it must be stored somewhere since it's asking me to install it.

Is there a way to delete the update from the console using PS4 xplorer?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see if you can delete it through the notifications section. I don't know where the temp folder for psn is located, but patches go in user/patch when they're complete. you can also delete the notification.db in system_data/priv/mms . it may say the database is corrupted and restart if you sign out, but it's fine. the notification.db will be rebuilt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: