Using an Intel iMac as a tv for Wii and cable?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by dukenukethis, Dec 12, 2008.

1. dukenukethis
    OP

Newcomer dukenukethis Advanced Member

United States
    A friend of mine has a 24" Intel iMac, not sure of the other specs, but I know he has at least 2 gigs of ram, and does not have a TV in his dorm room. He asked me about options on how to use it as a tv to watch cable (I'm pretty sure that it's analog cable) and play his Wii on. We went to an Apple store and looked at usb capture boxes and usb cable inputs, but the guy that waited on us wasn't really sure about what we should get. I know that either would be fine for TV, but I was worried about a delay being generated buy going through a converter box. He is more interested in playing Wii than TV, but figured if he could do both it'd save him from buying a TV. I figured that some of you GBAtempers out there may have an answer for him. The apple store didn't have any firewire options (which I thought was weird), so I'm going to be doing some research on that as well. If anybody has any suggestions, let me know. Give me any suggestions, even expensive ones, because if it's way more expensive than getting a TV I'll just tell him to do that.
    Thanks in advance guys

2. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    For TV watching, an Elgato eyeTv would do the trick, but there's gonna be too much latency to play games with it.. way too much. I don't think there's a solution there aside from just getting a cheap-ass lcd for gaming. If he goes with a second lcd, I'd find one with a dvi or hdmi input so it could be used as a second monitor for the mac as well. I've got two monitors and I love the extra screen space.

Also, a bit off topic kinda, but he should axe the cable and set up boxee on his mac and stream Hulu and Netflix from it. I hate paying for TV... I love my boxee!
    (www.boxee.tv)

3. dukenukethis
    OP

Newcomer dukenukethis Advanced Member

United States
    Like I said, he's in a college dorm room, so the cable comes as part of his tuition, so as long as he isn't using it it's going to waste. I told him he should get a netflix account but like I said, he's getting it for free anyway. I'll have to check out boxee, I've never heard of it. Thanks for the advice, mthrnite.