Using a USB keyboard on the PlayStation Classic opens emulator options menu, allows for savestates

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 4, 2018.

1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Wait, it didn't have savestates already?
    Not a huge deal to me personally, as I rarely use them, but that is a huge oversight on Sony's part. Made worse by the fact that many PSX games don't allow frequent saving.
    Not a lot of open source PSX emulators for ARM around, I thought PCSX-ReARMed was just about the best choice, but it clearly has more issues than I thought. Sony settling for something that not only has weird audio slowdown issues but also struggles to maintain 60 FPS which resulted in them using the PAL versions of many of the games (which shows they clearly realized this) shows how little they care about this device. At least Nintendo put effort into theirs and made it something more than a cashgrab, something people actually want to own on its own merits.
    I think that for the price they could also have spent a little more on the hardware and ended up with a more stable 60 FPS and less compromises. Would have been the easy fix.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 5, 2018
    DarthDub and tyrantnyx like this.
  2. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    I did, with Wiisxr 2.3 beta for the Nintendo Wii.
    Played it, because it is from the same guys that did the Soul Blazer Trilogy for the Snes.

3. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    lol no, not grandia, really, The Granstream Saga

4. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    It gets worse... Apparently Crash Bandicoot 1+2, Tomb Raider 1+2, PaRappa, and Mega Man Legends (oh sorry. mega MAM legends lol) were scrapped from the games list., according to the console's source code that Sony shared on their website.
    Edit: there's actually 36 FUCKING GAMES that didn't make the cut. Source

Last edited by SexySpai, Dec 5, 2018
  5. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Shouldn't it be possible to just plug in an appropriately formatted USB drive and use the menu to load an ISO from it?
    Thinking it might have to be EXT(3/4) formatted. But I guess they might have automount disabled which would make that difficult without accessing a terminal.
    And they did such an awful job at it that people prefer to forget it ever happened. Thanks for reminding us :angry:
    That isn't Sony's website though? Just some rando with homebrew stuff on his repo.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 5, 2018
    GerbilSoft likes this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. Even Nintendo put forth more effort in their mini consoles.

7. Molhel

Molhel Westworld Fanatic

Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Westworld
    Everyone should have expected crap quality the moment the subpar library was revealed.

8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Oh we knew it was gonna be crap, but allowing people to access the menu via USB keyboard's the icing on the cake.

9. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    What? No. SEGA started the trend with the help (or lack thereof) of AT Games.

Nintendo fanboys/fans for some reason think Nintendo began the whole mini classic console buzz.

10. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    AtGames needs to learn how to not suck at programming, no wonder Sega sacked them.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    And AtGames is the reason why no one gave a shit about mini consoles for years.

DarthDub and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  12. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBATemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    All ps1 emulators have issues right now.
    pcsxr and rearmed are about the best lightweight emulators while also being feature rich and the only open sourced at that.
    epsxe is also great and lightweight, but lacks some enhancements that pcsx has, is closed source and the arm version (android) is paid.
    sony could have paid epsxe to make a psclassic specific port. I bet it would have been better only because the author would have a better understanding of what parts of his emulator can be toned down without affecting compatibility while maintaining accuracy. but they opted to go for pcsx because it was as simple as typing "make".
    the funny thing is that it looks like they apparently did exactly that, as they didn't even bothered to modify a pretty obvious setting (https://github.com/xyzz/psclassic-source/blob/master/pcsx_rearmed_custom/frontend/menu.c#L112). that change alone would solve 80% of the problems eliminating the slowdown and the need to use pal versions.
    for the record, that setting is exactly like that in the non-libretro rearmed, but it was changed to 100 in the libretro core 8 months ago. and is not like they did nothing, they added some line to that very same file (https://github.com/xyzz/psclassic-source/blob/master/pcsx_rearmed_custom/frontend/menu.c#L46).

13. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That was what I thought as well, but it's obviously not up to the task, what I mean is that if the available open source options can't do a satisfactory job they shouldn't just settle, they should make their own.

ePSXe would have been an obvious choice, but as you said it's not open source, plus it's made for Android, and Android is significantly different from GNU/Linux, so it wouldn't be a simple recompile job.

Where are people getting that source repo? It seems to be just some homebrew dev, why is the repo on his account specifically? Was he perhaps offered a job designing the software side of things for Sony? Or did he just take the source from another public download and reup it on GitHub?

To me, that doesn't seem to be a very obvious thing to change. I would assume that the defaults would be optimized for best performance on low end ARM devices, and that increasing the setting would only cause the CPU usage to be pinned at 100%. If they actually had a thorough look at the source code, they might have thought to play with that setting to see if it helps anything, but I honestly doubt they looked through much of the source, probably just enough of it to change the obvious things they wanted to change. Which is evident by the fact that the Esc key emulator menu was left in. If they were too lazy/cheap to code their own emulator, why would they spend resources on scouring the entire source code when it's obviously just a cashgrab? I don't expect that much from them at this point.

Sakitoshi likes this.
  14. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    you can get all the sources from here.
    https://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/psclassic-oss/

exactly, sony offers only zip files with the sources. he just kindly uploaded everything to his github.

and that cpu setting is not cpu utilization, but percentage of cpu speed. so what is happening is that they are downclocking the playstation cpu. that setting was like that exactly for what you said, 3 years ago it was helpful since arm devices really weren't up to the task, but nowdays it is mostly useless. I'm certain that the mediatek 8167a (quad core cortex-a35@1.3ghz) is more than capable of running the emulator at 100% cpu clock since a raspi 3 (quadcore cortex-a53@1.2ghz) can do it even with the overhead of libretro.
    they could have at least taken a look at that libretro thing everyone is talking about and see what are the default settings there, but they didn't.

15. SG854

SG854 Logan

Feb 17, 2017
    Romania
    Next pressing the reset button will do the trick.

Last edited by SG854, Dec 5, 2018
    Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  16. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    There's several pieces of source code missing there.

They're selling GPL code as one product, the entire thing goes under the provisions of the GPL. Mail Sony for the source of all the stuff they link under the ISC license, I'm pretty sure they're legally bound to link it.

Also, they need to provide compilation instructions on how to make the image they flash. It's part of the GPLv2, clause 3:

(IANAL!)

StrifeSephiroth and GerbilSoft like this.
  17. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    which they are including.
    if a module is missing then it isn't open sourced. for example the sony and playstation logos, the interface and the fonts are missing but all those components are private.

meaning the make files, which are there.

exactly what I already said. if something doesn't need to be distributed, even if is bundled in the product (the cover art images, cd iso files, etc...), then you are free to not release it.

18. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Except they're distributing it all strings attached as a complete product.

They have to open source the interface and the fonts. Same for the logo's. Thems the breaks if you use GPL code/assets in your project. If you use it, your complete product, which in this case is the entire PS Classic, must be under GPL.

Its being distributed, ergo it goes under the provisions of the GPL.

The GPL is not a nice license. It's a strong license with a very powerful copyleft. There's a reason companies like Google and Microsoft shy away from it and use CLAs to transfer the copyright to them if they work with one of those projects.

(IANAL!)

19. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    then go ask id software to do the same, they have several of their old games source code released under gpl and I'm not seeing even a single logo or asset in there even when those are clearly part of the final product.
    gpl doesn't work like that.

20. Cha0tic

Cha0tic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2013
    United States
    Hey guys I just bought one

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —