Using a USB keyboard on the PlayStation Classic opens emulator options menu, allows for savestates

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    One of the best psx.game i played was
    The Granstream Saga
    Anyone else played it?

2. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    I'd point out that this may or may not be a useful vector for anything. I'd suggest someone with a PS Classic try building a USB stick with Yocto (apparently what Sony used from what ETA Prime found) or taking something prebuilt that matches enough of the specs of the PS Classic to see if you can boot off that. ETA Prime also mentioned finding some large bridgeable pads that seem to open a USB serial connection for a few seconds. Honestly, I'd imagine including the Esc/Menu function was used as part of debugging and someone didn't think to take it out or they did a poor job which would explain why some keyboards work and some don't.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS Classic ends up being faster to hack given putting in protections of any kind tends to take time and consideration, and that's one thing Sony clearly wasn't focused on.

3. BossRoss93

BossRoss93 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    Jesus these devs were lazy.

4. SoCALCat

SoCALCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    Since Sony decided to do an open-source emulator on the mini. Who is to say that Sony didn't give a Sh*t on what games were installed along on how they play.

They probably figured to just leave it up to the hackers to see what creations they could come up with since it's more than likely the console is going to be hacked a lot sooner than later...

Last edited by SoCALCat, Dec 5, 2018
    Raverrevolution likes this.
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    So is the Hakchi2 guy gonna hack this or what?

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Thing is, a hacked PS3 is a better option in a lot of ways to play PS1 games.

I am sure we will end with some fans making this crappy thing work after some hacking and or modifications to the emulator, but why pay money for something that comes broken by default?

*Remembers his PSP200 only bought because it was easy to hack and had better hardware that the PSP100.

Nevermind, go and have fun!

7. Skittyusedcovet

Skittyusedcovet Gbatemp’s Favourite Skitty

Jul 16, 2018
    Canada
    Where cats are plentiful.
    Well there’s that and they probably wanted to get it out in time for the holidays. Sony wanted to steal the show from Nintendo, but failed miserably.

m_babble likes this.
  8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Sony thing has never been having good security when it comes to videogames and their videogame consoles.

Plus they probably paid the guys doing this as little as possible.

9. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Look at you, swinging your textual hips; you're going to cause something to happen....I couldn't decide how to make it more "creepy uncle"....your refund is good for 15 minutes.

You mean, Grandia, right?

For the *____* (ya tu sabe, puto), SONY could have been testing the waters, seeing what would kill the PS2 Classic, what naysayers would accuse SONY of doing wrong, finding the "sweet spot" for games, etc,.

Basically, spend 3M to make 800K for data to spend 5M to make 50M.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, whatever, I don't even give a rat's ass about the PSX Classic or PCSX ReARMed, all the videos I see on YT that show this with a Raspberry Pi 3 always have point sampled audio.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    A company trying to make money?

The absolute scandal

THEELEMENTKH and Sakitoshi like this.
  12. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The classroom for proper english sentences is 4 doors down, my good man. Please come back when you can speak coherently.

13. Skittyusedcovet

Skittyusedcovet Gbatemp’s Favourite Skitty

Jul 16, 2018
    Canada
    Where cats are plentiful.
    You won the creepy award for tonight. I legit pictured a creepy old man swinging his hips while talking about that now. I feel very afraid and slighly uncomfortable now.

H1B1Esquire and Chary like this.
  14. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Aww, that's so endearing, but that is coherent English--you have to use the punctuation as guide marks. I still think you're decent at Sonic 2, just stop falling in the water and I'll give you a this-looks-like-it-has-drugs-in-it cookie.

This is how I felt about an original Xbox classic...."original" and "classic" are like humongous and ginormous--use one, but don't use the other, and certainly not both at the same time without adult supervision.

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    no surprise there it's just an emulator in a box :P

16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No no no, there's no wrong in a company making money. It's when a company half-asses it to the point of laughable status, with zero effort at all and when people are complacently sycophantic with it. Ergo, they think it's acceptable for Sony to pull such a stupid move, is what the real issue is. People enable them by buying their lazy crap.

People think Sony can do no wrong. Sony is life, hail Hy--, er, Sony.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Dec 5, 2018
  17. niuus
    This message by niuus has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Dec 5, 2018, Reason: Personal attack.
    Dec 5, 2018
  18. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Dec 5, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Dec 5, 2018
  19. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    $100 for a console that contains PAL versions, a free open-source emulator that has HIDDEN DEBUG FEATURES, NOT HIDDEN AWAY FROM THE MAIN INTERFACE and a terrible game list?!

This console will soon drop to $40 in a no-time.

the_randomizer likes this.
  20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Wow. That's like if I sold an ODroid XU4, packaged it up as a N64 Classic, and people would notice pretty quickly that it's not a professionally done package at all!

Personally, I think taking a fat PS3, giving it better cooling, a better case, and a large 2.5" HDD is the best solution for all of your pre-PS4 gaming needs if you're not using a PC. I mean, at this point, unless if you're really doing stuff online that requires you to use a legitimate account, there's no real major games coming out for the system. I think the last hurrah was actually Persona 5...kind of like how Persona 4 was the last game in the PS2's lifecycle in the US, as the rest of the stuff from that point onward was just sad ports of PS3 and even games that released on PS4 that were cross generation with two previous gen consoles! (yes, I'm referring to whatever FIFA game came out on three generations of hardware) Because of how many ports the PS3 and PS2 got for various game franchises, and everything else in-between, it really is crazy how many generations of games the PS3 has access to. You have all of the Resident Evil games, including the ones that were originally exclusive to GC. Just about every non-DS Mega Man game can be played on this system. There's a lot of ports of various SEGA arcade games and even some DC-era arcade ports. Most of the Shin Megami Tensei series, especially now with the completion of SMT If...'s translation by Aeon Genesis can be played in someway on the PS3, and that number increases with a fat PS3 that can play PS2 games. Every Tekken game before 7 can be played...

I remember an old AlphaOmegaSin video where he was asked a question of what game system he would keep for the rest of his life if he had to choose one that wasn't PC since that's kind of cheating with the question, and he was actually pretty on point. Seeing as how the PS4 generation has played out with remasters and re-releases of old games, it's been pretty funny to me how much of the current generation of games you can play on a PS3. This is the reason why I hope the PS5 has better backwards compatibility with the PS4 and PS3 natively as opposed to hoping data caps will be able to handle streaming games.

Dodain47 likes this.
  21. mario5555

mario5555 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    United States
    All of this was already known (for those of us who were paying attention that is) and talked about before the system launched, people making it out like it's some bloody conspiracy or something...

Trash_Bandatcoot likes this.
  22. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Okay, there's using an open source emulator (btw, anyone who owns this thing -> mail Sony for the source code, you have both the right to get it and distribute it, the whole thing is under GPLv2) and there's using one but not even modifying it to your own needs.

So far it just seems like a single core RetroArch box with a UI Sony quickly slapped together.