Gaming Using a Japanese DSi charger in an american outlet

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I just recently imported a Japanese DSi after my American DSi broke and I was wondering if it was safe to use one of these on a US outlet..
41E5fnt2HgL.jpg

It's one of those 3DS/3DS XL/DSi XL/DSi charger replacements sold in Japan (I lost the original charger that came the DSi)

What I have heard was mixed, some claim that these chargers accept 100V (The voltage standard in Japan) and 120V (The standard in the US) and work just fine on American outlets however some are saying to get a step-down voltage converter. If anyone has a Japanese 3DS or DSi can you please specify the ratings on the chargers? Thanks!

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to all that garbage about step-down converters. It should say right on the adapter itself that it accepts inputs from 105-120V. You can use the Japanese adapter safely in US outlets.

Here's a DS Lite adapter (official Nintendo part NTR-002, for use with both Japan and US).

And a DSi LL adapter (official Nintendo part WAP-002; it says for use in Japan, but notice the input goes up to 120V which means it's ok for the US as well).

I have a Japanese DS Lite that I bought in Japan in 2006 and I've been using the same adapter it came with even when I came back to the US. It's still going strong.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to all that garbage about step-down converters. It should say right on the adapter itself that it accepts inputs from 105-120V. You can use the Japanese adapter safely in US outlets.

Here's a DS Lite adapter (official Nintendo part NTR-002, for use with both Japan and US).

And a DSi LL adapter (official Nintendo part WAP-002; it says for use in Japan, but notice the input goes up to 120V which means it's ok for the US as well).

I have a Japanese DS Lite that I bought in Japan in 2006 and I've been using the same adapter it came with even when I came back to the US. It's still going strong.

Same here, I bought a DS when I was in Japan and never had any issues either. I can attest to that :P

Reactions: bobtheglob101

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for letting me know! I'll have peace of mind that I won't be setting my house on fire when I come back from Japan :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all