Hacking Using 3d tv with 3ds but stuck on the highest 3d setting?

ilovesharks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

I bought a PAL 3ds XL with a broken top screen off Ebay and hooked it up to my 3D tv (don't ask why, i'm an electrical engineer and a bit of a geek)

Unfortunately I can't seem to change the 'depth' of the 3d using the depth control option built into the tv firmware (akin to what you would normally with the 3D slider on the right of the top screen), instead it is stuck at the highest setting which looks slightly jarring on a 55" display .

Do you guys know if the 3d slider is software related - will it require a 3ds hack to be able to do this?

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I must confess I am also kind of curious about the adapter stuff -- is the protocol "needs full FPGA recoding rig" or "just needs a given model of screen"? (or something somewhere in the middle).

ilovesharks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No I didn't use a capture card because the resolution is bottlenecked by top screen when the hardware can produce a picture with 4x the resolution of the top screen (I presume the same must be true for the bottom screen being 320x240 QVGA, since the camera's output is 640x480), instead i had to rely on a lot of spare parts and soldering.
Thanks for the answer Fyrus

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
props to this guy. any pics? you seem to have gotten so in depth in this you probably wont find an answer from any of us. try using parental control on the 3ds to force a limit? I honestly don't know from this point but it's an idea.

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Parental controls can only turn off the 3D entirely.
The screen works pretty much like those 3D picture things you get in the cereal or crisps. It's called parallax barrier, and the 3D slider controls it, no software involved.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3D slider is definitely connected to a software control. It changes the depth of the 3D effect by changing how far apart the two viewpoints are rendered.
The real give-away that it's a software thing is that the 3D slider has no effect on pre-rendered 3D videos such as the cutscenes in some games, and the 3D video trailers you can get from the eShop or via Nintendo Video. In those cases it can only turn the 3D effect on or off. It can't change the depth of pre-rendered content.

Just how broken is the top screen of your 3Ds? Can you still manipulate the 3D slider?

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe this guy for a min... I would bet a decent amount of money he's trolling... The complexity of hooking it up to a TV and the guy couldn't figure out the 3d Slider is a software thing? Come on.. I don't buy it. Also "I didn't use a capture card because the resolution is bottlenecked by top screen when the hardware can produce a picture with 4x the resolution of the top screen" this is nonsense.. The hardware will not produce 4x the resolution no matter how you magically "hack it up".

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
No I didn't use a capture card because the resolution is bottlenecked by top screen when the hardware can produce a picture with 4x the resolution of the top screen (I presume the same must be true for the bottom screen being 320x240 QVGA, since the camera's output is 640x480), instead i had to rely on a lot of spare parts and soldering.
Thanks for the answer Fyrus

Please post schematics and instructions. Thanks.

omega59

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is why people do not like this forum. as soon as someone posts what they have accomplished, they get put down as a troll or liar. Get a grip people, he doesn't owe you anything to have to proof anything to anyone on here. It's a cool project he is doing sounds great. I hope he got it working :)

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
The slider is mechanical it controls the barrier that seperates the pictures. 3D technically speaking is always on MAX unless deactivated by parental controls. So there are only two options: 3D FULL ON or FULL OFF the rest is done mechanically by the slider.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
The slider is mechanical it controls the barrier that seperates the pictures. 3D technically speaking is always on MAX unless deactivated by parental controls. So there are only two options: 3D FULL ON or FULL OFF the rest is done mechanically by the slider.

I'm sorry to say, but you're just plain wrong.
There is no way to mechanically change the depth of a 3D image. The depth of the 3D image is a function of the difference in perspective of the two 2D images that make it up.
To change the depth you have to change the point of view of at least one of the two 2D images, which means re-rendering the image, which is a software operation.

Reactions: Daku93

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are two completely different types of 3d technology, they won't work together
Anyway the whole thing sounds fishey at best, post a video of it and pics of the connector

Reactions: Foxi4

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Ohh!!! please dude!! post some instructions to do this!!! I googled this forever and never find out a way!! :C I want to see my 3DS in my 3DTV too!! some pics could be awesome for the tutorial :3 could you make this possible?? C: Play TLoZ:Ocarina 3D with these new Textures, Kid Ikarus, and obviously!! play PKMN X/Y woow :3 that would be awesome :3

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

cyrus.k

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey just signed up because this sounds really interesting :)

Also "I didn't use a capture card because the resolution is bottlenecked by top screen when the hardware can produce a picture with 4x the resolution of the top screen" this is nonsense.. The hardware will not produce 4x the resolution no matter how you magically "hack it up".

Please can someone correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the Pica-200 GPU that powers the 3DS have an output of up to 720p? The reason they limited is is because getting a 3d resolution that good would have been more expensive pre-2012 and drained the battery power even more.

At the very least, we know the 3DS dev kits use the same software/hardware but are have an effective resolution 480p - that's why most 3DS games up until 2013 consistently released 480x800 screenshots, and why the HUD on games like Monster Hunter 3 is so incomprehensible. they're only now optimising graphical potential by using a lower pixel fill rate.

And isn't the technology for 3d tvs and glassless handheld devices essentially the same, only the 3d shutters are built into the screen instead of the 3d glasses?

Reactions: ElYubiYubi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think that this is fishy at all. Why the heck would he be trolling, what will be his profit? It is possible to hook a 3DS to a 3D TV, I'm not sure about this OP, but show pics please.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please can someone correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the Pica-200 GPU that powers the 3DS have an output of up to 720p? The reason they limited is is because getting a 3d resolution that good would have been more expensive pre-2012 and drained the battery power even more.

At the very least, we know the 3DS dev kits use the same software/hardware but are have an effective resolution 480p - that's why most 3DS games up until 2013 consistently released 480x800 screenshots, and why the HUD on games like Monster Hunter 3 is so incomprehensible. they're only now optimising graphical potential by using a lower pixel fill rate.

And isn't the technology for 3d tvs and glassless handheld devices essentially the same, only the 3d shutters are built into the screen instead of the 3d glasses?

With software hacks, which aren't available it can be made to output higher, the games would run horribly however. And the tech is somewhat similar, but without some serious adapters, not a simple solder the 3DS directly to the TV, it wouldn't be possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk